ESL Classroom Conversations
Speaking is a skill that teachers want their students to develop, one of the ways to improve their speaking skills is by asking learners to think about relevant questions.
Relevant ESL Questions
Making relevant questions strengthens the learning process, fosters a stronger sense of participation, and helps learners become more involved in the learning process.
In this post, you will finds tips to help you use discussion questions in the classroom, a sample of different conversation and the catalogue of all ESL questions by topics.
How to use These ESL Conversation Questions
Using conversation questions in the classroom has lots of benefits:
- Teachers can provide conversation questions to students in advance so students have time to think about it after classes. This is recommended when you are teaching low-level students.
- Students can make groups and practice with their peers in classes so they can learn about their weaknesses and strengths when interacting with others.
- Teachers can reduce teacher talking time since students are the ones doing the interaction with others. Teachers can make contributions to the conversation but they don’t have an active role in them.
ESL Conversation Game
I have chosen different ESL conversation questions from different categories and included them in this set.
Conversation Questions by Topic
These are some examples of ESL Conversation Questions by topic that you can use right but remember that you will find posts that explore these topics and other topics thoroughly
Let’s begin with sports
- Who is your favorite soccer team?
- Who do you think will win the next World Cup?
- Who is the best soccer player in the world right now?
- What is your favorite soccer memory?
- Have you ever met a sports celebrity?
- Would you like to play sport for a living?
- Have yo ever attended a soccer match?
Time to discuss movies
- How often do you watch movies?
- How often do you go to the movies?
- Do you usually watch movies on pirate sites?
- What’s better for you? Going to the theaters or streaming a movie at home?
- What do you think about superhero movies?
- Have you ever cried during a film?
- Have you watched any Tarantino movies?
Time to talk about Dreams
- Do you remember your dreams?
- Do you try to interpret your dreams?
- Do dreams have any influence on your life?
- Do dreams influence desires and thoughts?
- Do your dreams ever affect your moods?
- Do dreams predict the future?
These are some conversation questions about minimalism:
- What’s minimalism?
- Do you know people who try to live a minimalist life?
- How can you simplify your life?
- Do you accumulate a lot of stuff?
- What aspects of minimalism don’t you like?
- What are some of the benefits of living a minimalist life?
- Are you trying to live a minimalist life?
Let’s explore what some of your favorite things are:
- What’s your favorite food?
- What’s your favorite fast-food restaurant?
- What’s your favorite kind of music?
- What is your favorite kind of movie?
- What’s your favorite department store?
- What’s your favorite anime?
- What are some of your favorite YouTube channels?
Let’s analyze hypothetical situations
- What would you do if somebody stole your car?
- What would you do if you saw a man trying to steal your car?
- Where would you live if you could live anywhere?
- If you were powerful enough to change the world, what would you change?
- If you were given three wishes, what would you wish for?
Check these “have you ever conversation questions”
- Have you ever lost your wallet?
- Have you ever shot a gun?
- Have you been abroad?
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- Have you ever skipped classes?
- Have you ever had a car accident?
- Have you ever get lost in a mountain?
Love is a very powerful thing
- How do you define love?
- Can you define love in 5 words?
- How romantic are you?
- Have you been in love?
- How can you be sure that you love someone?
- Do you love someone?
These are some questions to talk about how often you do things.
- How often do you go to the cinema?
- How often do you play soccer?
- How often do you watch horror movies?
- How often do you Play video games?
- How often do you go running?
- How often do you go to bed past midnight?
Let’s learn about your thoughts on Thanksgiving
- What do you know about Thanksgiving?
- Is Thanksgiving celebrated in your country?
- What foods do you usually eat for Thanksgiving?
- What time do people start eating during Thanksgiving?
- What do you do after Thanksgiving dinner?
I love different types of entertainment, how about you?
- What were some of the TV Shows or cartoons that you watched when you were a child?
- Who don’t you like to be with while watching television?
- What is your favorite TV Show character?
- Do you watch soap operas? Does anyone in your family do it? If so who?
- What do you think about sports channels?
Let’s talk about social media
- What social networks do you usually use?
- What social networks did you use to have?
- How much time do you spend on social media?
- What are some benefits of having social networks in our lives?
- What are some bad points of having social networks?
You love music, don’t you?
- What kind of music do you like?
- What type of music do you dislike?
- How often do you like to music?
- Where do you listen to music?
- Do you listen to music on Spotify?
- Do you usually go to concerts?
- Have you ever paid for Spotify or YouTube Music Premium?
Let’s talk about friendship
- Are you a social person?
- What’s a friend?
- What makes a good friend?
- What makes a bad friend?
- Do you make friends easily?
- Do you make friends easily?
- Have you ever met a person and become friends very quickly?
ESL Conversation Questions Collection
These are the latest updated or published ESL conversation question posts so you can make the most out of your speaking classes.s
Artificial Intelligence Discussion Questions: Do you think AI will create more job opportunities?, What advancements in AI do you foresee in the next decade?
Here you will find all the swimming discussion questions you need to have a great conversation with your classmates and friends: How often do you swim?
Questions about Procrastination: Do you consider yourself a procrastinator? Do social media prevent you from completing assignments?
Questions about Stereotypes for an Insightful Discussion: What is an stereotype?, How is your country stereotyped?, Do you stereotype people?
Valentine's Day Conversation Questions: hat is Valentine's Day? – Do you believe in love at first sight? – What is Valentine's Day like for singles?
Discussion Questions about Luck: 1. Do you believe in luck? – Are you a lucky person? – How do you differentiate between luck and probability?
ESL Questions About Respect: 1. What does respect mean to you? 2. How do you show respect to your family 3- How can parents teach respect?
Conversation or discussion questions about pets: Do you own a pet? Are you a dog person or a cat? Have you ever had a rabbit as a pet?
In this post, we will explore a series of questions that delve into happiness, encouraging students to articulate their experiences, and perspectives.
Let’s learn some more about stress and have a conversation that can help you learn more about this topic
Conversation questions about ethics: What is your definition of ethics?, When is stealing justifiable?, Should there be limits on free speech?
Conversation Questions about Money: How do you keep track of your expenses?, How do you save money?, How do you feel about mortgages?
Questions about death: What do you believe happens to us after we die?, How do you think death affects those left behind?, Are you scared of death?
Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom. What country would you like to visit? What country would you like to live in and why?
In this post, we will provide a list of thought-provoking questions that can be used to spark discussion and reflection among ESL students on the topic of lying
This is my list of the best Would you Ever Conversation Questions for the ESL classroom: Would you ever try skydiving?, Would you ever go on a safari?
Are you good at…? conversation questions for the ESL Classroom: Are you good at making people laugh? , Are you good at swimming?
Improve your ESL conversations with fun and thought-provoking Would You Rather questions. Questions Perfect for ESL students of all levels.
In this post, we will be providing a compilation of controversial questions that can be used to spark interesting and engaging conversations
Sports Conversation Questions are a great way to generate conversation since most people like some type of sport whether is mainstream or not.
These conversation questions include a great variety of conversation topics which are perfect for getting some interesting conversations
Conversation Questions about movies seem like the right way to start since conversation questions maximize student talking time.
Discussion Questions about Soccer: Why do soccer players fake injuries?, Who is your favorite soccer player? Do you want to attend the next world cup?
Questions about colors: What color is your favorite? What are the colors of your clothes in your closet? How many colors can you name on a rainbow?
Questions about Honesty: What’s your definition of honesty?, Is it ever okay to lie?, How do you know when you can trust someone?
Questions about Languages: What language is spoken the most in your country?, Do you have a second language in your country?
These are all important questions about crime to discuss with your students so let’s keep exploring: Is your country a safe country?,Have you ever been robbed?
These and other questions about hotels is what you will find in this post so you can have a good classroom conversation in the ESL classroom
List of beach conversation questions: When was the last time you went to the beach?, What beach did you go to?, Who did you go to the beach with?
These are some good questions so you can have a conversation about Christmas with your students, family or friends. Do you go to Christmas parties?
In this post you will find the best questions to have a conversation about dreams with your students and friends. Do dreams predict the future?.
Here are some questions about books that you and your friends will enjoy. Do you give books as presents?, Do you enjoy reading aloud?
In this post, you will find all the questions that you need to know and answer to have a meaningful conversation about love.
These are some great and interesting questions about minimalism so you can have an interesting discussion with your students or Friends
Here are a few more questions about fashion and clothing to have an interesting conversation around the topic
The following are discussion questions about wars that can be used to create a good conversation in informative settings.
The questions below can be used to discuss the positive and negative things about shopping. How often do you go shopping?
These are the best discussion questions about God to make sure that you have an interesting conversation with friends and classmates.
This is a list of health conversation questions that you can use to promote speaking in the English classroom. Have you ever had an accident?
In this post, you will find the best Thanksgiving conversation questions. What are you most thankful for? what did you enjoy the most about this year?
These are some of the questions that you can include in getting to know you conversation activities. Do you want a family of your own?, How often do you go out?
The duration of a job may range from temporary to a lifetime. These are some common questions to have an interesting conversation about careers and jobs
In this post, you will find the most common questions that people have about technology. What are some computer operating systems?
These are some common questions to discuss what feminism is and possibly understand it better. What is a feminist? Do you call yourself a feminist?
Let’s explore some of the most common questions about goals to have an interesting discussion with your students and friends
These questions explore what social media is exactly and how it affects our lives today. Should a minor use Facebook? Is Facebook safe for minors?
Questions about transportation can range from simple to complicated, but there are constant questions within every field. Some frequently asked questions
Here are some questions about poverty for you to know more about those people who do not have enough resources for food, shelter, or a job.
in this post, you will find the best discussion questions to have a great conversation about celebrities. What celebrities do you follow?
In this post, you will find tips and ideas to have an interesting conversation around your favorite questions
In this, we will learn more about immigration terminology and some common questions people have regarding this topic.
This blog post will explore questions about religions to help us understand why most people feel inclined to join one of them
Let's explore what you know and how much you know about computers with this comprehensive list of questions
In this blog post, you will find the most common questions people ask about holidays! What’s your favorite holiday? What holiday food do you like?
These are some pretty good questions to have a great conversation about what Black Friday means to you and other people.
Let’s raise awareness about the problems that pollution is causing with the help of the questions about the different types of pollution.
These are the best questions about nature to help you have a great conversation in the classroom, What’s deforestation?, What’s forest degradation?
In this blog post you will find the most interesting questions about hobbies for you to have an interesting conversation in the ESL classroom
Questions about the environment can raise awareness about the importance of protecting the planet we live in.
In this blog post you will find the most interesting questions about entertainment for you to have an interesting conversation in the ESL classroom
Questions about animals are a great topic for discussing since we ignore most interesting facts about them.
In this post you will find questions and examples about future plans that you can use to have interesting conversations in the ESL Classroom
You need to know personal information questions to learn more about others and create relationships.
In this post, you will find lots of family conversation questions to have interesting conversations.
These food conversation questions will help you and your learners to engage in an interesting conversation.
In this post, you will find lots of questions about music to have interesting conversations in the ESL classroom.
In this post you will find the school conversation questions you need to make ESL classroom conversations more interactive
In this post, you will find some friends conversation questions, very useful sets to help spark a classroom conversation
A Neighborhood, is a geographically localised community within a larger city, town, suburb or rural area.
One of the dreams that people have is to travel around the world and know more places, meet new people and enjoy some adventures.
Questions about Facebook can help teachers listen to opinions about a topic which is familiar to all of us
Mass Media General Questions · Should media outlets be punished for false information? · How can the media be helpful to people? Do you listen to podcasts?
- Imagen de pikisuperstar en Freepik
- Image by Freepik
- Imagen de pch.vector en Freepik
- Imagen de pikisuperstar en Freepik