Music is a big part of our lives, we listen to music while we do different things, whether we are commuting to work or working on our computers.
Since we all listen to music, music can be an interesting topic to connect with others easily.
These are some examples of interesting music conversation questions:
- Do you listen to music as you study or work?
- What are the best music videos?
- Do you have a Spotify subscription?
- Do you keep downloading songs and storing them somewhere?
In this post, you will find lots of questions about music to have interesting conversations in the ESL classroom.
Table of Contents
Types of Music in English
These are some of the main types of music
I am sure that I probably miss some types of music but those are some of the most common.
Let’s check these 70 music conversation questions
Conversation Questions: Music Taste
These are some conversation questions about your music taste
- What kind of music do you like?
- What type of music do you dislike?
- What are some music videos that you like?
- What’s your favorite band?
- What’s your favorite song?
- What types of music do people listen to in your country?
- What musician would you most like to meet? Why?
- How often do you like to music?
- Where do you listen to music?
- Who is your favorite singer?
- Which is more important to you, music or TV?
- What music did you listen to when you were a kid?
- Have you ever bought an album?
- Who is the best female singer of all time? Why?
- What music do you like to dance to?
- What would life be without music?
- Do you have a favorite song from the 90s?
- Do you like karaoke? Do you have a song that you often sing?
- What movie has a very memorable soundtrack?
- Do you prefer music in English or in your own language? Why?
- Can you name three songs in Spanish that you like?
Your Daily Routines and Music
I usually listen to music when I am working on the computer and when I am commuting to work.
I also listen to music when I exercise or go jogging or running.
Sometimes podcasts take music’s place but not all of the time.
These are some conversation questions to talk about how music fits into your daily routine
- Do you listen to music when you drive to work or school?
- Do you listen to music when you exercise?
- How much time do you spend listening to music each day or week?
- Do you ever listen to music when you running or cycling?
- What’s the best time and place to listen to music?
- Can you name three catchy songs?
Music in the Digital World
These are some conversation questions about how you listen to music in the digital world we live in
- Do you listen to music on Spotify?
- Do you watch music videos on Youtube?
- Do you think it is okay or not okay to download music illegally?
- What’s your favorite app to listen to music?
- Have you ever bought music online?
- How many mp3 songs do you have on your mobile device?
- How do you check the lyrics of your favorite songs?
- Have you ever heard of MusixMatch?
- Have you ever illegally downloaded music?
- Do you create playlists on Youtube?
- What do you think about Spotify subscriptions?
- Did you ever burn CDs?
Concerts and Music Festivals
Concerts and music festivals are a big part of the lives of music fans
- Do you like to listen to Electronic music?
- What do you think about music festivals?
- What do you think about Electronic Music Festivals like Tomorrowland?
- What do you know about electronic music festivals?
- Would you like to go to an electronic music festival?
- Have you ever been to a concert?
- Would you like to go to a concert?
- Do you ever watch concerts or music festivals on Youtube?
Music Questions: Radio
I stopped listening to Music on the Radio a while ago but I bet that some people still do.
I listen to Music on YouTube when I am working or on Spotify when I am commuting to work.
- Do you listen to the radio?
- How often do you listen to the radio?
- Do you have a Favorite radio station?
- Do you listen to any radio station when you drive?
- Do you think that radio stations will die eventually?
Music Questions: Feelings and Music
These are some conversation questions that deal with how music makes you feel
- What music do you like to listen to when you are in love?
- What music makes you feel relaxed?
- How does music make you feel?
- What are three songs that get you excited?
- Do you think that music changes how you dress and act?
- What music do you listen to cheer you up?
- Is there a song that makes you emotional?
- If you had intro music, what song would it be? Why?
- What song best represents you, or your attitude to life?
Music Questions: Music over the Years
Music has changed over the years and these are some questions that help you deal with that
- What do you think of the music your parents listen to?
- How has music changed over the years?
- Has your taste in music changed over the years?
- How has your music tasted changed over the years?
- What do you think about the music that teenagers are listening to today?
Music Questions: Lyrics
Checking the lyrics of your songs is crucial for those who are learning English
- What is your favorite lyric line from a song?
- Which song has the best lyrics?
- What is your favorite song sung in a language you don’t understand?
- Where do you check the lyrics of your favorite songs?
- Have you ever tried using MusixMatch to check the lyrics of your favorite songs?
Did you find this post about Music Conversation Questions useful?
These are some posts that you might want to check out
- 32 Immigration Discussion Questions
- 30 Social Networks Conversation Questions
- 50 Questions about Minimalism
- 40 Thanksgiving Conversation Questions
- 60 Travel Conversation Questions
- 50 Conversation Questions about Computers
- ESL Conversations: 50 Conditional Questions
- ESL Conversations: 50 How Often Questions
- Friends Conversation Questions
- 30 Questions about Pollution