Poverty is a condition characterized by the lack of certain minimum standards of living. The term poverty can also be used as an identifier for any person or family who falls below that line.
Poverty is affecting people even in developed countries like the United States. There are questions that may come to your mind especially if you have never been poor before.
Here are some questions about poverty for you to know more about those people who do not have enough resources for food, shelter, or a job.
Table of Contents
General Questions about Poverty
These are general questions about poverty
- What’s poverty?
- What is extreme poverty?
- What causes poverty?
- Have you ever experienced poverty?
- Do you know someone who has experienced poverty?
- What are some of the myths that people have about poverty?
- What are the poorest countries in the world?
- What are the richest countries in the world
- How is poverty reduced?
- How can you tell if someone is poor?
- How is poverty measured?
- What kind of problems do poor people have?
- Can money solve all the problems of the world?
- Does absolute poverty still exist in the world?
- Is it important to help poor people?
- Is poverty increasing or decreasing in the world?
- Would you pay more taxes, if this would eliminate poverty?
- Will there always be poverty in the world?
- What is the relationship between an individual’s income and his or her health?
- How does extreme poverty affect health?
- Does low pay is one of the main causes of poverty?
- Do countries combat low pay?
Poverty and Homelessness
These are some questions about poverty and homelessness
- What’s homelessness?
- Are there homeless people in your country?
- Do you feel sorry for people who live on the street?
- Where do homeless people spend the night?
- How does the government in your country support the homeless?
- How many people are homeless in your country?
- What do the homeless do when they feel hungry?
- What are the main causes of homelessness?
- What can we do about homelessness?
- Have you ever visited a homeless shelter?
- Do the homeless are often victims of criminals?
- In what ways does homelessness affect children?
- Are you aware of any social groups that help homeless people in your country?
- How do homeless people cope with the day-to-day realities?
- What are some of the myths that people have about homelessness?
- What problems do you associate with homelessness?
Poverty and Food Programs
These are some questions to explore the help given by food programs to combat poverty
- What are food programs?
- What are the main goals of food programs?
- Are there food programs available in your country?
- How many people in the world have inadequate access to safe and nutritious food?
What are your thoughts?
These are some important facts to make you think about poverty and homelessness
The first one is about the relationship between homelessness and gender
Sixty percent of all people experiencing homelessness are male.State of Homelessness: 2020 Edition
The second fact is about people facing poverty in first-world countries
Many Americans live in poverty, amounting to 38.1 million people or 11.8 percent of the U.S. population. They struggle to afford necessities such as housing.State of Homelessness: 2020 Edition
More ESL Conversation Questions
If you are looking for more resources to practice your English skills or have meaningful conversations with your students, I’ve compiled a list of some posts with conversation questions.
Check them out before your leave: