Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday celebrated on various dates in Canada, the United States, some of the Caribbean islands, and Liberia.
It began as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. Similarly named festival holidays to occur in Germany and Japan.
Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October in Canada and on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States, and around the same part of the year in other places.
Although Thanksgiving has historical roots in religious and cultural traditions, it has long been celebrated as a secular holiday as well
Table of Contents
These are some important questions about this important holiday
Thanksgiving Conversation Questions: Part 1
This is the first set of ThanksGiving conversation questions
- What does Thanksgiving mean to you?
- What do you know about Thanksgiving?
- Have you ever celebrated Thanksgiving?
- Is Thanksgiving celebrated in your country?
- What foods do you usually eat for Thanksgiving?
- What time do people start eating during Thanksgiving?
- What do you do after the Thanksgiving dinner?
- What are some of your Thanksgiving family traditions?
- Do you have any Thanksgiving memories?
- Where do you go for Thanksgiving?
- Is Thanksgiving mostly about food for you or is it more than that?
- Do you know how Thanksgiving came to be celebrated in the US?
- How do you spend Thanksgiving with your family?
Thanksgiving Conversation Questions: Part 2
This is the second set of ThanksGiving conversation questions
- What’s your favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal?
- Is Thanksgiving your favorite holiday?
- How did you celebrate last Thanksgiving?
- What are you most thankful for?
- What family members come to your Thanksgiving Dinner?
- What’s your worst Thanksgiving memory?
- Who do you celebrate Thanksgiving with?
- What’s the rule for the Thanksgiving Date?
- Do you have bad memories about a specific Thanksgiving Celebration?
- Is Thanksgiving a religious holiday?
- When did Thanksgiving celebrations originate?
- Why was Thanksgiving established as a holiday?
- How has Thanksgiving changed over the years?
Best Questions for Thanksgiving
These are some of the best questions for Thanksgiving
- What teacher are you most thankful for and why? What did you learn from him or her?
- Which of your grandparents are you most thankful for and why? What did they teach you from their experience in life?
- What musician or type of music are you most thankful for? Why?
- What book are you most thankful for? Why?
- Who is your favorite hero and why? What qualities do you admire in that person?
- What movie or TV show are you most thankful for and why? What did it teach you about life, love, family, or other people’s experiences?
- What book are you most grateful for, and why?
- What, from this year, do you feel most grateful for?
- What, from your entire life, do you feel most grateful for?
- What traditions are you most thankful for and why?
More ESL Conversation Questions
Check these pages and sites before you go: