Conversation Questions about Family
There are different types of families:
- Nuclear Family that consist of two parents and children.
- The single parent family consists of one parent raising one or more children on his own.
- The extended family structure consists of two or more adults who are related, either by blood or marriage, living in the same home.
- Childless family are couples who either cannot or choose not to have children.
- A blended family is one where the parents have children from previous relationships but all the members come together as one unit
70 Conversation Questions about Family
These are some of themost common conversation questions about Family
Conversation Questions about Family: Basic Information
These are some conversation questions about family
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Are you an only child?
- Do you have younger or older brothers / sisters?
- Do you keep in touch with your parents and siblings?
- Are you married or single?
- Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?
- Do you have any children?
- Do you get along with the rest of the members of your family?
- Do you ever argue with your parents and siblings?
- How often do you meet your cousins?
- If you are married, how well do you get along with your in-laws?
- Who is the oldest person in your family?
- Who is the funniest person in your family?
- Do you usually have family gathering?
- What do you like the most about your family?
Conversation Questions about Family: Your Parents
These are some conversation questions about family that deal specifically with parenthood.
- Do you still live with your parents?
- What’s the best thing about your mom or dad?
- Are your parents strict?
- Are your parents flexible?
- Where does your mother work?
- Where does your father work?
- Are your parents permissive or authoritative?
- Are your parents overprotective?
- Who is more overprotective? Your mom or your dad?
- Do you live with your mom and dad?
- Are your parents divorced?
- What are some characteristics of permissive parents?
- What are some characteristics of authoritative parents?
- Do your parents trust you?
Family Questions: Think about the Past
These are some conversation questions about family that deal with the past.
- What are some of your childhood memories?
- How did you get your name?
- Did your parents let you stay up late?
- Did you parents let you watch TV ?
- How did your family celebrate holidays?
- How often did you go on vacation with your family?
- What games did you use to play with your brothers / sisters?
- How often did you go on family trips?
Discussion Questions about Family
These are some conversation questions about family that might generate some debate:
- Do many wives work in your country?
- Who should care of elderly people?
- Should people get married in their early 20’s?
- Who has the most power in your family?
- What is the perfect number of children a family should have?
- What do you think of people who marry and decide not to have children?
- What do you think about couples who have more like 6 children?
- Is it better for mothers to stay at home with kids or go to work?
- Do you prefer spending time with your family or friends?
- What’s the best age to get married?
- Which is better: being married or being single? Why?
Family Questions: Raising Children
These are some conversation questions about family that deal specifically with raising children
- How many children would you like to have?
- Do you think your parents were good parents?
- What are some things that your parents did that you would never do?
- Would you like to raise your children in the way that you were raised?
- What qualities would you like to have as father / mother?
- Do you help your children with homework?
- Do you think that children should help with chores around the house?
- What would you do if your son or daugher gets a tattoo?
- What are some things that your children aren’t allowed to do?
- Do you often read to your children? / Did you often read to your children?
- Do you think you spoil your children?
These are some conversation questions about family that deal specifically with dysfunctional families:
- What’s a dysfunctional family?
- What are some Characteristics Of Dysfunctional Families?
- What do you think about parents resort to physical abuse or violence to have control on the family?
- How can your overcome poor communication within your family?
- Do your family supports you?
- Do you know parents who have a drug, alcohol or gambing addiction?
- Do you think that money is one of the most important requirements for having a happy family?
- What do you think about family whose parents are religious fundamentalists?
- How can you overcome The Effects Of Dysfunctional Families?
- How can your broken family relationships?
You should check these other articles:
More Conversation Questions
This one of our newest secitons. Use these questions to promote speaking in the classroom.
- 100 Getting to Know You Conversation Questions
- 50 Conversation Questions about Entertainment
- Conversation Questions about Careers and Jobs
- Social Networks Conversation Questions
- 50 Conversation Questions about Computers
- 70 Music Conversation Questions
- Mass Media Conversation Questions
- Science and Technology Questions
- 30 Brilliant Conversation Starters for the ESL Classroom
- 70 School Conversation Questions
- Neighborhood Conversation Questions
- ESL Conversation Questions: Have you ever…?
- Conversation Questions About Celebrities
- Holidays Conversation Questions
- Friends Conversation Questions
- ESL Conversations: 50 Conditional Questions
- Sport Conversation Questions
- 100 Great Health Conversation Questions
- 32 Immigration Discussion Questions
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
Did you like these article about Podcasts for Learning English?
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages: