Careers and Jobs
A job, or occupation, is a person’s role in society. More specifically, a job is an activity, often regular and often performed in exchange for payment (“for a living”).
Many people have multiple jobs. A person can begin a job by becoming an employee, volunteering, starting a business, or becoming a parent.
The duration of a job may range from temporary to a lifetime.
Conversation Questions about Careers and Jobs
- What are some common occupations in your country?
- What are some common job for men in your country?
- What are some common job for women in your country?
- Do you like your job?
- Do you like working alone or in group?
- Do you like team work?
- What shift do you like to work?
- What’s your dream job?
- Do you like working overtime?
- Do you like to work indoors?
- Do you like working outdoors?
- Do you have a problem working at night?
- Do you prefer the day shift or night shift
- What motivates a person to change his/ her job?
- How much money do you consider a decent salary?
Experience and Qualifications
- What skills and qualifications do you have?
- At what age do people usually retire in your country?
- How difficult is to have your own business?
Your Current Job
- Can you describe some of the people that you work with?
- Can you describe your current job?
- Do you like your boss?
- How many days a week do you work?
- How many hours a week do you work?
- What time do your start and finish work?
- What is the atmosphere like at your workplace?
- How long do you plan to continue working where you are?
- Do you have to work overtime? If so, how often?
- Do you have to wear a uniform?
- Do you have to do a lot of paperwork?
- Do you have to work on weekends?
Conversation Questions: Unemployment
- Have you ever been unemployed? How long for?
- Have you ever been fired from a job? When? Why?
- Is unemployment a great problem where you live now?
- What are the best ways to look for a job?
- Do you usually look for a job when you are looking for a job?
- What was your first job?
- How old were you when you got your first job?
Opinions about Jobs
- What jobs are fun / boring?
- What jobs do you consider way too dangerous?
- What are some of the worst jobs you can think of?
- What are some of the best jobs you can think of?
- In your opinion, which jobs are most prestigious? Why?
- How long do you want to work?
- How many hours a week do you want to work?
- How many days a week do you want to work?
- Where do you want to work?
- How much money do you want to earn?
- What job do you want to have?
- Do you want to work on weekends?
- What plans have you made for your retirement?
- How much money do you think you need to retire?
- How much should you be saving today?
- Are you worried about the future?
The Negative Aspects
- What negative things can be caused by working too long?
- Do you know what a workaholic is?
- Do you think that you work too much?
- Would you describe yourself as a workaholic?
- Tell me a little bit about yourself
- What are your biggest weaknesses?
- What are your biggest strenghts?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want this job?
- Why do you want to leave your current job?
Careers and Jobs: Worksheet
Download Worksheet here