Being healthy means that you are physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy.
Health is important for a variety of reasons: it helps you get through your day without feeling tired or sick, it gives you more energy to do what’s important in life, and it increases your chances of success.
This is a list of “health conversation questions” that you can use to promote speaking in the English classroom.
Table of Contents
- Health Conversation Questions
- Health Questions: Eating Healthy
- Health Questions: Drugs and Alcohol
- Health Questions: Exercising
- Health Questions: Losing or Gaining Weight
- Health Questions: Check-ups
- Health Questions: Going to the Dentist
- Health Conversation Questions: Sleeping
- ESL Health Questions: Stress
- Health Conversation Questions: Have you ever…?
- Health Conversation Questions Game
- Video: Living a Long and Healthy Life
- More ESL Conversation Questions
Health Conversation Questions
These are some general health discussion questions
- Do you consider yourself a healthy person?
- Do you consider yourself an unhealthy person?
- How often do you get sick?
- What are the best ways to avoid getting sick?
- What healthy habits do you have?
- What can you do to improve your health?
- How often do you catch a cold?
- Is there a hospital or clinic near your house?
Health Questions: Eating Healthy
The cornerstone of a healthy diet pattern should be to replace processed food with real food whenever possible.
Eating food that is as close as possible to the way nature made it can make a huge difference in the way you think, look, and feel.
- Do you always eat healthy food?
- Do you eat a lot of vegetables
- Do you eat fruits every day?
- Do you eat fast food?
- What’s the right amount of calories that you should eat?
- What saturated fat food should you avoid?
- Do you drink soda? How often do you drink soda?
- Do you skip breakfast?
- Have you ever heard about intermittent fasting?
Health Questions: Drugs and Alcohol
Drugs and alcohol change the balance of chemicals that help your brain to think, feel, create, and make decisions. The drugs and alcohol you use can affect you both now and in the future
- Do you do drugs?
- What are some of the harmful effects of drugs?
- Do you think that smoking is bad for your health?
- Do you drink alcohol?
- Do you think that marihuana or alcohol is bad for your health?
- Do you think that drinking alcohol can lead to problems later in your life?
Health Questions: Exercising
Exercise is defined as any movement that makes your muscles work and requires your body to burn calories.
Being active has been shown to have many health benefits, both physically and mentally.
- How often do you do exercises?
- What type of exercises do you do?
- What are some of the benefits of being physically ill?
- Do you think that exercising can make you feel happier?
- What are the best exercises to reduce belly fat?
- What are the best exercises to gain muscle weight?
- Do you usually consume protein before or after working out?
Health Questions: Losing or Gaining Weight
Most people are trying to lose weight, but some people are actually trying to pack on pounds, and it’s not as simple as it may seem.
- What’s your diet like?
- Do you think that you need to gain weight?
- Do you think that you need to lose weight?
- What actions do you take to lose weight?
- What measures do you take to gain weight?
- Do you think you are overweight?
- What are the best healthy foods to gain weight fast?
- What medical conditions can cause unhealthy weight loss?
- What are some tips to lose weight faster?
- Do you track the amount of calories you eat every day?
- Have you ever used an app to track the amount of calories you eat?
Health Questions: Check-ups
Regular health exams and tests can help find problems before they start. They also can help find problems early, when your chances for treatment and cure are better.
By getting the right health services, screenings, and treatments, you are taking steps that help your chances of living a longer, healthier life.
- Why are check-ups important?
- Do you go for regular medical check-ups?
- Do you go to the dentist’s twice a year?
- When was the last time you went to a doctor?
- When was the last time you went to a hospital?
- How often do you get a medical check-up?
- Have you ever worn braces?
Health Questions: Going to the Dentist
Dental and oral health is an essential part of your overall health and well-being. Poor oral hygiene can lead to dental cavities and gum disease and has also been linked to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- Have you ever had braces on your teeth?
- When was the last time you went to a dentist?
- What are some proper oral hygiene habits?
- Do you floss your teeth at least once a day?
- Do you avoid tobacco products?
- What are some symptoms of dental and oral problems?
- What are some of the causes of dental and oral diseases?
- How often do you get a professional cleaning?
- Have you ever gotten a tooth extracted?
Health Conversation Questions: Sleeping
A good night’s sleep is just as important as regular exercise and a healthy diet.
Research shows that poor sleep has immediate negative effects on your hormones, exercise performance, and brain function
- What time do you usually go to bed?
- What time do you usually wake up?
- Do you think that you sleep too much or not enough?
- Why a good sleep is important for your health?
- How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
- Do you sleep well?
- What are some tips to sleep better?
- What are some of the consequences of poor sleep?
- Do you consume caffeine at night?
- Do you take long daytime naps?
- Do you take supplements to help you sleep?
- How do you clear and relax your mind before going to bed?
ESL Health Questions: Stress
Stress is the body’s natural defense against predators and danger. It flushes the body with hormones to prepare systems to evade or confront danger
- What is the best way to deal with stress?
- What causes you stress?
- What changes to the body does stress cause?
- How can you manage stress in your life?
- Do you work long hours?
- Are you unhappy with your job?
- What are some examples of life stresses?
- Do you have emotional problems?
- What are the best and worst jobs for your health?
- How happy are you with your life?
- What helps you to cope with stress?
- What is a healthy mind and body?
- Do you get adequate exercise or activity in your daily routine?
Health Conversation Questions: Have you ever…?
Most of us have suffered health problems in our lives. These are some common questions to discuss.
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- Have you ever spent time in a hospital? What was the problem?
- Have you ever had a black eye?
- Have you ever lost a tooth?
- Have you ever burned yourself?
- Have you ever cut yourself?
- have you ever had an accident?
- Have you ever broken a leg?
- Have you ever had stitches? What happened?
- Have you ever been hit by a car?
- Have you ever broken an arm?
- Have you ever broken your nose?
- Have you ever had to wear a cast or splint because of an injury?
Health Conversation Questions Game
Hi, if you need an online game to help you discuss these questions with your students, you might this random wheel about health conversation questions useful.
Video: Living a Long and Healthy Life
If you need a video to complement this list of questions about health, you can watch this video with your students and then discuss the recommendations shared in it.
More ESL Conversation Questions
I hope these health conversation questions are useful for your speaking or language classes
These are other conversation questions
- 25 Neighborhood Conversation Questions
- 100 Getting to Know You Questions
- 50 Conversation Questions About Celebrities
- 50 Have You Ever Conversation Questions
- 32 Immigration Discussion Questions
- 70 Music Conversation Questions
- 30 Social Networks Conversation Questions