Sports Conversation Questions are a great way to generate conversation since most people like some type of sport whether the sport is mainstream or not.
Sport includes all forms of competitive physical activity or games which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators.
These are some of the most common sport conversation questions to generate conversation in the ESL classroom.
Table of Contents
Sport Questions: General
Hundreds of sports exist, from those between single contestants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals
Let’s start with some general sport conversation questions
- Do you play any sports?
- Are you good at playing any sports?
- have you ever participated in a school team?
- How often do you play sports?
- What’s your favorite professional athlete?
- What’s the most expensive sport?
- What sport would you like to try?
- What sports do you like to watch live?
- What sports do you like to watch on TV?
- What are some sports you dislike watching? Why?
- How often do you read sport news?
- Have you ever met a sport celebrity?
- Would you like to play sport for a living?
Sport Questions: Soccer
Soccer is a team sport played with a spherical ball between two teams of eleven players and it is one of the most popular sports in the world.
These are some discussion questions about soccer
- Do you ever watch soccer games?
- Do you watch the world cup?
- What team do you supoort during the world cup?
- Have you ever attended to a world cup game?
- Who is your favorite soccer player?
- Do you have a favorite soccer team?
- Do you watch the champions league games?
- How often do you watch soccer games?
- Do you play soccer with your friends?
- Have you ever played indoor soccer?
- Have you ever been to a soccer stadium?
Interested in learning soccer vocabulary, click here
Sport Questions: Extreme Sports
Action sports, Adventure sports or Extreme sports are activities perceived as involving a high degree of risk. These activities often involve speed, height, a high level of physical exertion, and highly specialized gear
These are some extreme sports conversation questions:
- What are extreme sports?
- Have you ever tried extreme sports?
- What extreme sports would you like to try?
- What are some of the risks of doing extreme sports?
- What do you think about bungee jumping or climbing?
- What makes snowboarding dangerous?
- What water extreme sports would you like to do if you could?
- What cases do you about people getting injured doing extreme sports?
- Should teenagers do extreme sports?
- Do you know a friend who does extreme sports?
- Why do you think people like risky sports?
- Would you like to try parachuting?
- What do you think of people who participate in extreme sports?
- What do you think of rock free climbing?
- What preparation in general do you need to have before attempting extreme sports?
Have you ever heard of volcano surfing and Ice Climbing? Take some time to watch this video and learn more about extreme sports
Sport Questions: Mixed Martial Arts and Boxing
Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full-contact combat sport that allows striking and grappling, both standing and on the ground, using techniques from various combat sports and martial arts
- Have you ever watched mixed martial arts ?
- Do you have a favorite MMA fighter?
- What MMA promotion do you usually watch?
- Do you think that MMA should be banned?
- What do you think about boxing?
- What do you prefer? MMA or Boxing?
- Do you know what Jiu-Jitsu is?
- Do you like watching wrestling?
Sport Questions: Exercising
Exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health and wellness.
It is performed for various reasons, including increasing growth and development, preventing aging, strengthening muscles and the cardiovascular system, honing athletic skills, weight loss or maintenance, improving health] and also for enjoyment.
- Do you do yoga?
- Do you do exercises? How often do you do exercises?
- Have you ever done crossfit?
- Have you ever watched the crossfit games?
- What exercises do you like to do?
- What exercises don’t you like to do?
- Do you like working out?
- Do you like going to the gym?
- What are some of the benefits of doing exercises?
- What’s your favorite kind of exercise?
Sport Questions: Swimming
Swimming is the self-propulsion of a person through water, usually for recreation, sport, exercise, or survival.
- Can you swim?
- Hace you taken swimming lessons?
- Do you prefer swimming in a swimming pool or in the sea?
- How often do you go swimming?
- How old were you when you learnt to swim?
- Have you ever been snorkelling/diving? Would you like to?
- Are you a good/strong swimmer?
Sport Questions Baseball
Baseball is a bat-and-ball game played between two opposing teams, of nine players each, that take turns batting and fielding
These are some conversation questions about Baseball
- Have you ever played baseball?
- Do you know the rules of baseball?
- Are you interested in Baseball?
- Who is your favorite baseball player?
- What’s your favorite Baseball team?
I hope that you have found all the sports conversation questions you were looking for
These are other conversation questions that you might find interesting
- 50 Questions about Facebook
- 50 Questions about Animals
- 30 Brilliant Conversation Starters for the ESL Classroom
- 100 Conversation Questions about Careers and Jobs
- 30 Great Mass Media Conversation Questions
- 30 Nature Conversation Questions
- 70 Conversation Questions about Family
- 50 Conversation Questions about Entertainment
- 70 School Conversation Questions
- 20 Hotel Conversation Questions