Sports include all forms of competitive physical activity or games which, through casual or organized participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators.
Sports Conversation Questions are a great way to generate conversation since most people like some type of sport whether the sport is mainstream or not.
These are some examples of sports conversation questions you are about to see:
- Who is your favorite soccer team?
- Who do you think will win the next World Cup?
- Who is the best soccer player in the world right now?
- What is your favorite soccer memory?
From classic questions about favorite teams and players to more thought-provoking questions about the future of sports and the impact of technology, these questions are sure to spark a lively and engaging conversation in the ESL classroom.
Table of Contents
Sports Questions: General
Hundreds of sports exist, from those between single contestants to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals
Let’s start with some general sport conversation questions
- Do you play any sports?
- Are you good at playing any sports?
- have you ever participated in a school team?
- How often do you play sports?
- What’s your favorite professional athlete?
- What’s the most expensive sport?
- What sport would you like to try?
- What sports do you like to watch live?
- What sports do you like to watch on TV?
- What are some sports you dislike watching? Why?
- How often do you read sports news?
- Have you ever met a sports celebrity?
- Would you like to play sport for a living?
Sports Questions: Soccer
Soccer is a team sport played with a spherical ball between two teams of eleven players and it is one of the most popular sports in the world.
These are some discussion questions about soccer
- Do you ever watch soccer games?
- Do you watch the world cup?
- What team do you support during the world cup?
- Have you ever attended a world cup game?
- Who is your favorite soccer player?
- Do you have a favorite soccer team?
- Do you watch the champions league games?
- How often do you watch soccer games?
- Do you play soccer with your friends?
- Have you ever played indoor soccer?
- Have you ever been to a soccer stadium?
- What is the best soccer match you have ever seen?
- Who is your favorite soccer coach?
- What is your opinion on the use of VAR in soccer?
- How do you think soccer will change in the next 10 years?
- Do you prefer watching professional or amateur soccer?
Interested in learning soccer vocabulary, click here
Sports Questions: Extreme Sports
Action sports, Adventure sports, or Extreme sports are activities perceived as involving a high degree of risk. These activities often involve speed, height, a high level of physical exertion, and highly specialized gear
These are some extreme sports conversation questions:
- What are extreme sports?
- Have you ever tried extreme sports?
- What extreme sports would you like to try?
- What are some of the risks of doing extreme sports?
- What do you think about bungee jumping or climbing?
- What makes snowboarding dangerous?
- What water extreme sports would you like to do if you could?
- What cases do you about people getting injured doing extreme sports?
- Should teenagers do extreme sports?
- Do you know a friend who does extreme sports?
- Why do you think people like risky sports?
- Would you like to try parachuting?
- What do you think of people who participate in extreme sports?
- What do you think of rock-free climbing?
- What preparation in general do you need to have before attempting extreme sports?
Have you ever heard of volcano surfing and Ice Climbing? Take some time to watch this video and learn more about extreme sports
Sports Questions: Mixed Martial Arts and Boxing
Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full-contact combat sport that allows striking and grappling, both standing and on the ground, using techniques from various combat sports and martial arts
- Have you ever watched mixed martial arts?
- Do you have a favorite MMA fighter?
- What MMA promotion do you usually watch?
- Do you think that MMA should be banned?
- How has the sport of MMA evolved since its inception?
- Which weight class in boxing or MMA is the most competitive and exciting to watch?
- Do you watch Professional Female Fights?
- Do you know what Jiu-Jitsu is?
- Do you like watching wrestling?
- Who is your favorite boxer or MMA fighter and why?
- What do you think about boxing?
- What makes a good boxer?
- What do you prefer? MMA or Boxing?
- Who do you think would win in a fight between a boxer and an MMA fighter, and why?
Sports Questions: Exercising
Exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health and wellness.
It is performed for various reasons, including increasing growth and development, preventing aging, strengthening muscles and the cardiovascular system, honing athletic skills, weight loss or maintenance, and improving health and also for enjoyment.
- Do you do yoga?
- Do you do exercises? How often do you do exercises?
- Have you ever done Crossfit?
- Have you ever watched the CrossFit games?
- What exercises do you like to do?
- What exercises don’t you like to do?
- Do you like working out?
- Do you like going to the gym?
- What are some of the benefits of doing exercise?
- What’s your favorite kind of exercise?
Sports Questions: Swimming
Swimming is the self-propulsion of a person through water, usually for recreation, sport, exercise, or survival.
- Can you swim?
- Have you taken swimming lessons?
- Do you prefer swimming in a swimming pool or in the sea?
- How often do you go swimming?
- How old were you when you learned to swim?
- Have you ever been snorkeling/diving? Would you like to?
- Are you a good/strong swimmer?
Sports Questions Baseball
Baseball is a bat-and-ball game played between two opposing teams, of nine players each, that take turns batting and fielding
These are some conversation questions about Baseball
- Have you ever played baseball?
- Do you know the rules of baseball?
- Are you interested in Baseball?
- Who is your favorite baseball player?
- What’s your favorite Baseball team?
- Have you ever watched a baseball film?
- Have you ever watched Moneyball starring Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill?
I hope that you have found all the sports conversation questions you were looking for
These are other conversation questions that you might find interesting
- 50 Questions about Facebook
- 50 Questions about Animals
- 30 Brilliant Conversation Starters for the ESL Classroom
- 100 Conversation Questions about Careers and Jobs
- 30 Great Mass Media Conversation Questions
- 30 Nature Conversation Questions
- 70 Conversation Questions about Family
- 50 Conversation Questions about Entertainment
- 70 School Conversation Questions
- 20 Hotel Conversation Questions