The present perfect tense refers to an action or state that either occurred at an indefinite time in the past or began in the past and continued to the present time.
|I have ordered two large pizzas
|She has played Roblox before
|We have recorded a new album
|They have made another cake
Continue reading so you can learn the uses and structure to make present perfect examples.
Table of Contents
Present Perfect Uses
Before you check all the Present Perfect Examples in this post, you have to learn the situation in which you can use the present perfect.
We use the present perfect for something that started in the past and continues in the present:
- I have been married for 50 years.
- I have lived in Nicoya since 1985
We often use the adverb ever to talk about experience up to the present.
- This is the best day I have ever had
- This is the worst job she has ever had
We use the present perfect for something that happened in the past but is important in the present:
- My car has been stolen, call the police
- I’ve lost my wallet
Present Perfect Simple: Form
We use have/has + the -ed form of the verb.
We can make a negative sentence by adding -not in this way:
- Have not
- Has not
We can also use the contracted form:
These are some examples of negative sentences
- I have not worked here
- I haven’t worked here
- She has not worked for Walmart
- She hasn’t worked for Walmart
Present Perfect Examples: Affirmative
These are some examples of affirmative sentences with the Past Present
- I have read many books
- I have spent a lot money
- She has been here for a long time
- She has rented a new apartment by the beach
- He has called me a few times
- He has paid for my lunch like three times in a row
- We have spent a beautiful afternoon together
- We have collected a few items
- They have watched so many movies
- They have visited so many countries
Present Perfect Examples: Negative
These are some examples of negative sentences with the Presente Perfect
- I haven’t done anything illegal
- I haven’t paid the rent
- I haven’t done my homework
- She hasn’t talked to me since then
- She hasn’t bought anything new
- She hasn’t fallen in love
- We haven’t done exercises
- We haven’t cooked the meal
- We haven’t listened to the new album
- They haven’t traveled around the world
- They haven’t written any books
- They haven’t found a new apartment
Questions and Answers with the Present Perfect
The formal way to answer yes or no questions with the Present Perfect is the following:
- Have you been here before?
- Yes, I have
- Have you taken pens?
- No, I haven’t
- Has she finished her job?
- No, she hasn’t
- Has he sent the email?
- Yes, he has
These are some questions and answers that use the present perfect
- Where have you been?
- I was taking a nap
- What have you done?
- I am really sorry, I lost focus for a second
- Have you ever been to Hawaii?
- Yes, many times, I used to supervise a company there
- Has she listened to the new album?
- I don’t think so, she is busy
- Have you listened to the new Album?
- Yes, I have, It is really good
- Have you been to this place before?
- This is my first time here
Present Perfect Examples with Since:
These are some examples of sentences using the present perfect and the word since:
- I have worked here since April
- I have spent three months in Jail since my arrest
- She has been here since last Tuesday
- She has saved a lot of money since she finished the university
- We haven’t seen the suspect since last week
- He hasn’t seen his girlfriend since last year
- They have talked to each other since the last time they fought
Present Perfect Tense: Video Explanation
This is one of the best videos I could find about the present perfect.
Did you learn something new after reading all these past perfect examples?
If so, you might be interested in checking these related articles