What’s the Simple Past?
The Simple Past is used to talk about actions completed in the past.
- She came back last Thursday.
- I saw her in the building.
- They didn’t agree with me.
It can also be used to talk about a period of time
- She lived in California for seven years.
- They were in London from monday to friday
You will often find the past simple used with time expressions such as these:
- I met him yesterday
- I saw him two weeks ago
- She came to visit me last year
- The last time I went to concert was in 2009
- I played soccer from May to June
- I have known him for a long time
- I worked there for 4 weeks
- in the 1990s, I stole many cars
- She was the best singer of the last century
- In the past, I made so many mistakes
How to Make Negative Statements in the simple past
To make the negative form, we add the negative form (didn’t) between the pronoun or sunject and the verb. The verb in negative statements wil be in infinitive.
|Simple Past Affirmative||Simple Past Negative|
|I went to the store||I didn’t go to the store|
|She wanted money||She didn’t want money|
|He played soccer||He didn’t play soccer|
|It worked well||It didn’t work well|
|We watched a movie||We didn’t watch a movie|
|you cooked dinner||You didn’t cook dinner|
|they ran yesterday||They didn’t run yesterday|
How to Make Questions in the Simple Past
To make a question in the simple past, you have to add the word “did” at the beginning of every question and keep the verb in its infinitive form.
|Simple Past Affirmative||Simple Past Questions|
|I went to the store||Did I go to the store?|
|She wanted money||Did you want money?|
|He played soccer||Did he play soccer?|
|It worked well||Did it work well?|
|We watched a movie||Did we watch a movie?|
|you cooked dinner||Did you cook dinner?|
|they ran yesterday||Did they run yesterday|
Common Verbs in the Past Tense With Examples
- I went to school
- I ran yesterday morning
- I watched a movie
- I saw a cat
- I cooked dinner
- I had a great time last night
- I did my homework
- I made a cake
- I walked around the park
- I slept in a hotel
- I opened the door
- I cried a lot
Simple Past: Irregular Verbs
For more information about other grammar related explanations, worksheets and exercises. Visit the Grammar Page