Today we are going to learn more about the simple past and how to make sentences with them.
The simple past is a verb tense used to describe a completed action that happened at a specific time in the past.
|#1||I walked to the store yesterday|
|#2||I ate dinner at 7 PM|
Continue reading so you can learn how to make affirmative, negative, and interrogative sentences correctly
Table of Contents
- 1 Video: Simple Past Explanation
- 2 Simple Past: Uses
- 3 Simple Past and Expressions of Time
- 4 Simple Past Examples: Affirmative Sentences
- 5 Simple Past Examples: Negative Sentences
- 6 Simple Past Examples: Questions
- 7 Wh-Questions in the Simple Past
- 8 Simple Past Conversation questions
- 9 Simple Past: Irregular Verbs
- 10 More about English Grammar
Video: Simple Past Explanation
Let’s have a look at this video that explains what the past simple is:
Simple Past: Uses
The Simple Past is used to talk about actions completed in the past.
- She came back last Thursday.
- I saw her in the building.
- I made a cake for my mom, it was delicious
- I ran to the train station every day
- I sent some flowers to my girlfriend, today is her birthday
- They didn’t agree with me.
- They did their homework, but it was kind of difficult
- They played video games the whole night
- Yesterday I did exercise.
- I didn’t go to the gym last Sunday.
It can also be used to talk about a period of time
- She lived in California for seven years.
- They were in London from Monday to Friday
- Last week, I stayed with my sister for a few days
- Joe lived in Boston for ten years.
- From 1981 to 1984, he worked for a large multinational company.
Simple Past and Expressions of Time
You will often find the past simple used with time expressions such as these:
- I met him yesterday
- I saw him two weeks ago
- She came to visit me last year
- The last time I went to a concert was in 2009
- I played soccer from May to June
- I have known him for a long time
- I worked there for 4 weeks
- in the 1990s, I stole many cars
- She was the best singer of the last century
- In the past, I made so many mistakes
Simple Past Examples: Affirmative Sentences
These are some examples of affirmative sentences in the simple past:
|Base Form||Past Simple||Example|
|Go||Went||I went to the store|
|Play||Played||You played video games last night|
|Run||ran||She ran 5 KM yesterday|
|Say||Said||He said that she was beautiful|
|Make||Made||They made a cake for us|
|Fix||Fixed||We fixed her bike|
Simple Past Examples: Negative Sentences
To make the negative form, we add the negative form (didn’t) between the pronoun or subject and the verb. The verb in negative statements will be an infinitive.
|Simple Past Affirmative||Simple Past Negative|
|I went to the store||I didn’t go to the store|
|She wanted money||She didn’t want money|
|He played soccer||He didn’t play soccer|
|It worked well||It didn’t work well|
|We watched a movie||We didn’t watch a movie|
|you cooked dinner||You didn’t cook dinner|
|they ran yesterday||They didn’t run yesterday|
Simple Past Examples: Questions
To make a question in the simple past, you have to add the word “did” at the beginning of every question and keep the verb in its infinitive form.
|Simple Past Affirmative||Simple Past Questions|
|I went to the store||Did I go to the store?|
|She wanted money||Did you want money?|
|He played soccer||Did he play soccer?|
|It worked well||Did it work well?|
|We watched a movie||Did we watch a movie?|
|you cooked dinner||Did you cook dinner?|
|they ran yesterday||Did they run yesterday|
Wh-Questions in the Simple Past
These are some examples of questions and answers with the simple past
|Where did you go last night?||I went to the club with some friends|
|What did you do last night||I watched a couple of movies|
|What movie did they watch?||They watched a horror movie|
|Who did she meet?||She met a company executive|
Simple Past Conversation questions
These are some common questions you can make when talking about the past
- Where did you go on your last vacation?
- What did you do for your last birthday?
- What did you do last week?
- How did you spend your weekend?
- What did you do yesterday morning?
- Did you watch any movies last night? What movies did you watch?
- Who was your first crush?
- What did you do for the last 24 hours?
- What was the last movie that you watched?
- When was the last time you went shopping?
- When was the last time you went on a date?
- When was the last time you had a party?
- Did you do any exercises last week? What exercises did you do?
- How did you spend your days when you were a kid?
- How did you have fun when you were in high school?
Simple Past: Irregular Verbs
These are the most common examples of irregular verbs in English
More about English Grammar
I hope that you have found all the simple past examples you were looking for
These are some posts with more examples of different grammar topics
- 30 Sentences with Already
- Sentences with was and Were
- 50 Sentences with Used to
- 20 Sentences with Yet
- 75 Past Progressive Examples
- There Was and There Were: Guide & Examples
- Dependent Prepositions: Guide & Examples
- Compound Sentences: Guide & Examples
- Abstract Nouns: Guide and Examples
- Relative Clauses: Guide and Examples