Remember that was and were are the past forms of the verb to be so they are pretty useful when we make sentences with different tenses in English.
Remember that we use was with the pronouns I, she, he, it
- I am = I was
- She is = She was
- He is = He was
- It is = It was
We use “were” with the pronouns they, we, you.
- They are = They were
- We are = We were
- You are = You were
Now let’s check all the type of sentences you can make with was and were
Table of Contents
Affirmative Sentences with Was and Were
We can make sentences with was and were such as:
- I was happy
- She was very smart
- She was cold and hungry
- He was fit and beautiful
- The movie was boring
- The game was really expensive
- They were very good people
- They were tired but ready
- We were very fast runners
- We were very successful streamers
- You were my best friend
- You were the best Call of Duty player
Negative Sentences with Was and Were
If you want to make sentences with was and were, you have to have a look at the following chart
You can use the uncontracted o contracted form however contracted form are more frequent in any situation.
Now we can make sentences like these:
- I wasn’t skinny
- She wasn’t that shy
- They weren’t guilty
- The movie was very predictable
- That car wasn’t that expensive
- You weren’t my boss
- He wasn’t outgoing
- We weren’t that smart
Closed Questions with Was and Were
This is the structure that you have to remember when making questions with was y were:
|Was / Were||Pronoun||Adjective|
Let’s take a look at these questions and answers
- Were you shy when you were in high school?
- Yes, I was
- Were you fit?
- No, I wasn’t
- Were you talkative when you were a kid?
- Yes, I was
- Were you good at Math?
- I sucked at Math when I was in high school
- Was she an outstanding student?
- Yes, she was
Open Questions with Was and Were
These are some open questions with was and were
- Where were you?
- I was with my friends from High school
- Who were you?
- I was the former vice president of the country
- What was it?
- There was something wrong with the engine
- Why were you so talkative?
- I don’t know, I was probably bored
- Who was that guy?
- He was my former boss
- Who was here?
- I think that Jimmy stayed the night here
Was and Were: Then and Now
You can make sentences about the past and the present using was and were
- I was very strong when I was 17 but now I am weak
- I was very shy in kindergarten but now I make friends easily
- I was a very angry kid but now I get along with everybody
- I was in shape when I was 18 but now I go to the gym
- She wasn’t very smart in language but now she is an expert
- She wasn’t talented but now she can sing very well
- She was lazy but she is a very talented developer
- He was a jerk but he seems like a nice guy
- He was attractive but now he is an addict
- He was a happy guy but now he is an grumpy old man
- He was jealous but now he isn’t
More Posts to Learn English
I hope that you have found what you were looking for about sentences with was and were
These are some other resources that you might want to check out before you leave
- Present Continuous Questions: Guide & Examples
- 100 Passive Voice Questions
- 50 Superlative Questions: Guide & Examples
- 50 Questions with How
- Sentences with Would: Guide & Examples
- Sentences using Conjunctions: Guide & Examples
- 100 Sentences with Like
- 75 Sentences with Can
- 100 Sentences with Should
- 50 Sentences with Did