The Past Progressive
The Past Progressive describes actions or events in a time before now, which began in the past and is still going on at the time of speaking.
In other words, it expresses an unfinished or incomplete action in the past.
Past Progressive: Affirmative and Negative Sentences
|I was studying||I wasn’t studying|
|You were playing||You weren’t playing|
|He was playing||He wasn’t playing|
|She was running||He was running|
|It was working||It wasn’t working|
|We were working||We weren’t working|
|Thye were watching TV||They weren’t watching TV|
The past progressive indicates a limited duration of time and is thus a convenient way to indicate that something took place while something else was happening:
- Carlos lost his watch while he was running.
- I was sleeping when someone knocked on my door.
- While we were sitting at the breakfast table, the telephone rang.
- When I was having breakfast, Somebody stole my car.
- They were waiting for the bus when he dropped his phone.
- Jessica was running when she broke her leg.
Two actions hapening at the same time
- I was eating dinner while he was drinking a beer.
- While she was preparing dinner, he was washing the dishes.
Questions in the Past Progressive
|Was I cooking?||Were you cookin dinner?|
|Was he cooking?||Were you playing soccer?|
|Was she cooking?||Were we sleeping in that time?|
|Was It working?||Were they running with you?|
- What were you doing last night?
- What was she cooking when her mom called?
- Was she playing soccer when she broke her leg?
Lesson Plan – Past Progressive
Schema Activation (10 Mins)
- Teacher gives pieces of paper with the lyrics of the song “Call me maybe”
- Students have to listen to the song and find the person with the part of the lyrics that follows
- Student identify the sentences using the simple past and the past progressive
Task #1 (20 Mins)
- Teacher introduces how to make positive statements
- Student make pairs, one student is student A and another student is student B
- Student A is given 2 questions strips and make those questions to students B
- They make those questions to as many students as they can
Task #2 (30 Mins)
- Students make groups
- Teacher assigns a number from 1 to 4 to every member of the group
- Teacher send 4 different pictures to students about people doing different things. Picture 1 for student 1, picture 2 for student 2 and so on
- They have to make sentences using the past progressive tense
- After they finish, all students 1, 2, 3 and 4 get together with other students 1, 2, 3, and 4
Task #3 (30 Mins)
- Students are sent a video about music video short story
- They have to watch the videos and make false and true sentences using the simple past and present progressive
- They are going to ask those question to a specific group when they finish
Main Task (40 Mins)
- students make groups of 3
- Students have to prepare a collage made up of 9 pictures
- They have to make questions
- Review grammar and pronunciation problem that were made during some of the stages.
Past Continuous Online Exercises
- Exercise on Past Progressive (Was or were)
- Exercises on Past Progressive (Positive Sentences)
- Exercises on Past Progressive (Negative Sentences)
- Exercises on Past Progressive (Questions)
- Past Continuos Exercise
- Past Continuous Questions
- Simple Past or Past Progressive
- Past Simple and Past Continuous
Past Continuous PDF
- Past Continuous Affirmative
- Past Continuous Exercises
- Past Continuous Affirmative, Negative and Questions
- Past Continuous Exercises
- Past Progressive Worksheet PDF
- Past Simple and Past Continuous – Cambridge University Press