We use already to emphasize that something was completed before something else happened.
- I’ve already told him
- I’ve already seen that movie.
- Are you leaving already?
- He hasn’t gone already, has he?
Already is often used with the present perfect or past perfect.
Let’s check examples of sentences with already using different tenses in English
Table of Contents
Uses of Already
The word “already” has several uses in English, and choosing the right one depends on what you want to convey. Here are the most common ways to use it:
1. To indicate something happened earlier than expected:
- I’ve already eaten dinner.
- The train has already left.
- He was already rich before winning the lottery.
2. To show something exists at the present time:
- They are already here.
- This room is already messy.
- I am already tired.
3. For emphasis:
- We won the game, already!
- I told you not to do that, already!
- It’s already been five years since we met.
Already: Position in a Sentence
We usually put already in the normal mid position for adverbs.
These can go; (1) between the subject and the main verb, (2) after the modal verb or first auxiliary verb and (3) After be as a main verb.
- I already knew he failed the test
- I had already told him the truth
- Mike’ s already here
We can use already at the end of a sentence for greater emphasis or to show greater surprise.
- He finished his homework already
- He did the laundry already
- Did you finish your application already?
- Did you do the dishes already?
Sentences with Already and the Present Perfect
These are some sentences with already and the Present Perfect
- I have already changed my clothes.
- She has already left the office.
- Have you already read this book?
- I have already eaten lunch.
Sentences with Already and the Past Perfect
These are example of sentences with already and the past perfect
- The plane had already landed
- she had already gone home.
- The text had already been marked up with corrections
- She had already gone to the park
Sentences with Already and the Simple Present
These are some sentences with already and the simple present
- I already know.
- I already ate
- I’m already busy
- I’m already late
- I’m already rich.
- It’s already dark.
- Joe’s already here
- John is already a writer
Sentences with Already and the Simple Past
These are some sentences with already and the simple past
- She was already in love with him.
- I already ate.
- I did it already
- You already paid
- I already checked those tests
- They already knew.
- They already left.
- We already paid for your flight
- I already said that.
In this video, you can listen to the pronunciation of already
More Grammar Topics
I hope that you have found everything you were looking for about sentences with already
These are some posts with examples of different grammar topics