Make, Accept and Decline Invitations
These are some of the most common ways to make invitations in English
Do you want to…?
- Do you want to go to the movies tonight?
- Do you want to go to the beach tomorrow?
- Do you want to play soccer with us tonight?
- Do you want to go running with use tomorrow morning?
Would you like to?
- Would you like to go to the swimming pool?
- Would you like to play soccer with us ?
- Would you like to go to the Maroon 5 concert?
- Would you like to have lunch with us ?
- Wanna go to the beach?
- Wanna go to the theater with us?
- Wanna play soccer with us
- Wanna go camping with the smiths?
Let’s … ?
- Let’s go to the beach
- Let’s go to the party
- Let’s go camping with our classmates
- Let’s play basketball tomorrow afternoon
Why don’t we …?
- Why don’t we go to the mall?
- Why don’t we start going to dancing classes?}
- Why don’t we play chess tonight?
- Why don’t we go to the park?
How about …?
- How about going to the restaurant?
- How about having a coffee later tonight?
- How about going out tonight?
- How about watching survivor tonight?
- Are you free tonight?
- Are you doing anything tonight?
- Are you doing anything interesting tonight?
I was wondering if…?
- I was wondering if you wanted to go to the beach with us
- I was wondering if watching a movie with me was a great idea
- I was wondering if you wanted to go to the club with us tomorrow night
These are some common ways to accept invitations in English
- Sure. What time?
- I’d love to, thanks
- Sounds good
- Sounds great
- That sounds great, thank you.
- What a great idea, thank you.
- That sounds like fun
- That would be nice, thank you
- Sure, that would be great
- I’d love to, thanks.
- That’s a great idea
These are some common ways to refuse or decline invitations in English
- I can’t. I have to work.
- I have to work
- I have classes at night
- I have to get up early the next morning
- I need to stay home with my new puppy
- My Favorite TV show is on that night
- My parents are visiting me that night
- I am not feeling well
- I can’t find a baby sitter
- I have an appointment this afternoon
- I’m busy tomorrow.
- I have a test tomorrow
- Well, I’d love to, but I already have plans
- I’m really sorry, but I have something else to do
- Maybe another time
- Thanks for your invitation but I am kinda busy
- I am afraid I am busy tomorrow
- Sorry but I can’t accept your invitation
- I have other plans for tonight
Exchanges: Make, Accept and Decline Invitations
- Would you like to go to the beach with us tomorrow?
- Sorry but I have a medical appointment tomorrow
- How about going to the movies?
- Sure, that sounds like a great idea
- Do you want to go and watch the game?
- I am so sorry but I have to work tonight
- Why don’t we go to the mall?
- I’d love to. Pick me up at 7
Dialogue: Make, Accept and Decline Invitation
Lynn: Say,Miguel,what areyou doing tonight? Do you want to go bowling?
Miguel: I’d love to,but I can’t. I’m going to a soccer match with my brother.
Lynn: Oh,well,maybe some other time.
Miguel: Are you doing anything tomorrow? We could go then.
Lynn: Tomorrow sounds fine.I’m goingto workuntil five.
Miguel: Solet’s go around six.
Lynn: OK.Afterward, maybe we canget some dinner.
Miguel: Sounds great.
If you need to know the meaning or pronunciation of a word, Try using the Cambridge Online Dictionary