Today we are going to learn how to make, accept and decline invitations in English.
As the title indicates, you need to know three important things to manage this skill well:
|#1||How to make Invitations|
|#2||How to accept invitations|
|#3||How to decline invitations|
Now let’s check each one of the subtopics so you can make, accept and decline invitations well.
Table of Contents
Making Invitations in English
These are some of the most common ways to make invitations in English
Do you want to…?
- Do you want to go to the movies tonight?
- Do you want to go to the beach tomorrow?
- Do you want to play soccer with us tonight?
- Do you want to go running with use tomorrow morning?
- Do you want to go to a conference?
- Do you want to listen to another webinar?
Would you like to?
- Would you like to go to the swimming pool?
- Would you like to play soccer with us ?
- Would you like to go to the Maroon 5 concert?
- Would you like to have lunch with us ?
- Would you like to attend to the meeting?
- Would you like to play video games tonight?
- Would you like to work with me on the cybersecurity project?
- Would you like to develop software for a company with me?
- Wanna go to the beach?
- Wanna go to the theater with us?
- Wanna play soccer with us?
- Wanna go camping with the Smiths?
- Wanna have lunch with me?
- Wanna go to the park to eat pizza?
- Wanna have a date with me?
- Wanna eat fried chicken for dinner?
- Wanna go and watch a movie tonight ?
- Let’s go to the beach
- Let’s go to the party
- Let’s go camping with our classmates
- Let’s play basketball tomorrow afternoon
- Let’s have a beer after work
- Let’s have a date next Saturday
Why don’t we …?
- Why don’t we go to the mall?
- Why don’t we start going to dancing classes?
- Why don’t we play chess tonight?
- Why don’t we go to the park?
- Why don’t we grab a beer after work?
How about …?
- How about going to the restaurant?
- How about having a coffee later tonight?
- How about going out tonight?
- How about watching survivor tonight?
- How about taking some programming classes?
- How about working in the morning?
- How about playing soccer on the beach?
- How about we play soccer on the beach?
Accepting Invitations in English
These are some common ways to accept invitations in English
- Sure. What time?
- I’d love to, thanks
- Sounds good
- Sounds great
- That sounds great, thank you.
- What a great idea, thank you.
- That sounds like fun
- That would be nice, thank you
- Sure, that would be great
- I’d love to, thanks.
- That’s a great idea
Declining Invitations in English
These are some common ways to refuse or decline invitations in English
- I can’t. I have to work.
- I have to work
- I have classes at night
- I have to get up early the next morning
- I need to stay home with my new puppy
- My Favorite TV show is on that night
- My parents are visiting me that night
- I am not feeling well
- I can’t find a baby sitter
- I have an appointment this afternoon
- I’m busy tomorrow.
- I have a test tomorrow
- Well, I’d love to, but I already have plans
- I’m really sorry, but I have something else to do
- Maybe another time
- Thanks for your invitation but I am kinda busy
- I am afraid I am busy tomorrow
- Sorry but I can’t accept your invitation
- I have other plans for tonight
Exchanges: Make, Accept and Decline Invitations
These are some exchanges to make, accept and decline invitations
- Would you like to go to the beach with us tomorrow?
- Sorry but I have a medical appointment tomorrow
- How about going to the movies?
- Sure, that sounds like a great idea
- Do you want to go and watch the game?
- I am so sorry but I have to work tonight
- Why don’t we go to the mall?
- I’d love to. Pick me up at 7
- Why don’t we go for a beer after work?
- Sorry but I have classes after work
Additional Information When Accepting Invitations
These are some questions you can make after accepting an invitation
|#1||Where can we meet?|
|#3||Is a free training?|
|#4||Where do you want to go?|
|#5||What place do you recommend?|
Dialogue: Make, Accept and Decline Invitations
This is a short dialogue so you can practice and maybe create your own
|Lynn: Say, Miguel, what are you doing tonight? Do you want to go bowling?|
|Miguel: I’d love to, but I can’t. I’m going to a soccer match with my brother.|
|Lynn: Oh, well, maybe some other time.|
|Miguel: Are you doing anything tomorrow? We could go then.|
|Lynn: Tomorrow sounds fine. I’m going to work until five.|
|Miguel: So let’s go around six.|
|Lynn: OK. Afterward, maybe we can get some dinner.|
|Miguel: Sounds great.|
I hope that you have found all that you needed to know about how to make invitations in English
These are some posts that you might want to check out:
- Some and Any : Difference and Exercises
- Difference Between Do and Make
- 5 Modals of Deduction in English
- Tag Questions: Guide & Examples
- Third Person Singular: Guide & Examples
- Prepositions of Place: Guide & Examples
- There Was and There Were: Guide & Examples
If you have any questions about the content found in this or other posts from EnglishPost.org, send me a message to one of my social networks