In this post, you will find all the information that you need to understand what tag questions are.
Question tags are the short questions that we put on the end of sentences particularly in spoken English.
|#1||She had another baby, didn’t she?|
|#2||She went to college, didn’t she?|
Now, let’s check some information and example so you can make tag questions correctly
Table of Contents
- 1 Tag Questions: Structure and Rules
- 2 Question Tags with Present Tenses
- 3 Question Tags with Past Tenses
- 4 Questions Tags with Future Tenses
- 5 Question Tags: Special Points
- 6 Examples of Tag Questions
- 7 Tag Questions Video by WoodWard English
- 8 Tag Questions Video by MMMEnglish
- 9 Tag Questions Exercises
- 10 More Posts with Examples in English
Tag Questions: Structure and Rules
The basic structure of a tag question is:
A negative statement is followed by a positive question tag.
|Negative Statement||Positive Tag|
|You aren’t 12 years old||Are you?|
A positive statement is followed by a negative question tag.
|Positive Statement||Negative Tag|
|You are 12 years old||Aren’t you?|
Tag questions are made using different tenses in English so let’s check example with some of them.
Question Tags with Present Tenses
There are lots of different question tags but the rules are not difficult to learn.
|Simple Present||You have money, don’t you?|
|Simple Present||She has money, doesn’t she?|
|Verb to be||She is beautiful, isn’t she?|
|Present Progressive||She is cleaning, isn’t she?|
|Present Progressive||You aren’t coming, are you?|
|Present Perfect||You have done this, haven’t you?|
|Present Perfect||She hasn’t called you, has she?|
Question Tags with Past Tenses
These are questions tags with past tenses:
|Simple Past||You had money, didn’t you?|
|Simple Past||She had money, didn’t she?|
|Verb to be||She was beautiful, wasn’t she?|
|Past Progressive||She was cleaning, wasn’t she?|
|Past Progressive||You weren’t cleaning, weren’t you?|
|Past Perfect||You had done this, had you?|
|Present Perfect||She hadn’t called you, hadshe?|
Questions Tags with Future Tenses
These are questions tags with future tenses
|Future with will||You will come, won’t you?|
|Future with will||He won’t study, Will he?|
|Future Continuous||He won’t be studying tonight, will he?|
|Future Continuous||He will be studying, will he?|
Question Tags: Special Points
Although the negative word not is not in the sentence, the sentence can be negative. Then we use the positive question tag.
|He never plays soccer||Doesn’t he?|
|She never runs with us||Doesn’t she?|
Use will/would with imperatives
|Turn off the fan||Will you?|
|Pass me the salt||Would you?|
If the main clause verb is I am, then the negative tag form is aren’t I:
|Sorry, I’m late again||aren’t I?|
|I am a little red||Aren’t I?|
We can use right and yeah in very informal situations instead of question tags:
|So, you’re not coming with us tonight||right?|
|They’ll be here about 4.30||yeah?|
We use shall after Let’s.
|Let’s take the next bus||shall we?|
|Let’s grab some lunch||shall we?|
|Let’s go to to the beach||shall we?|
Examples of Tag Questions
These are some examples of tag questions in different contexts:
- It’s a lovely day, isn’t it?
- You didn’t do your homework, did you?
- You don’t like me, do you?
- You haven’t seen Sascha, have you?
- You think you’re clever, don’t you?
- You have a car, don’t you?
- She can’t swim, can she?
- She was crying, wasn’t she?
- He does look like his father, doesn’t he?
- He hasn’t arrived yet, has he?
- You want to come with me, don’t you?
- You can swim, can’t you?
- You don’t know where the boss is, do you?
- This meal is horrible, isn’t it?
- That film was fantastic, wasn’t it?
- You have a Ferrari, don’t you?
- She had a great time, didn’t she?
- You used to work here, didn’t you?
- You’re moving to Brazil, are you?
- He used to have long hair, didn’t he?
Tag Questions Video by WoodWard English
This is a pretty good video created by Woodward English that explains what tag questions are
Tag Questions Video by MMMEnglish
Another good video that you can watch on YouTube to understand more about tag questions was posted by mmmEnglish
Tag Questions Exercises
These are some tag questions exercises that you can use to reinforce what you know about this topic
- Online Questions Tags Quiz
- Online Grammar Quiz – Questions Tags
- Exercises on Question Tags
- Question Tags – Positive
- Question Tags – Negative
- Question Tags – Multiple Choice
- Past Tense Question Tags
These are some tag questions files that can help you learn more about this topoc
- Tag questions test PDF
- Grammar Challenge – Question Tags Practice PDF
- Question Tags Exercises PDF
- Grammar Question Tags PDF
- Question Tags Exercises PDF
More Posts with Examples in English
I hope that you have found everything you were looking for about tag questions
These are some posts that you might find interesting
- Third Person Singular: Guide & Examples
- Prepositions of Place: Guide & Examples
- There Was and There Were: Guide & Examples
- Dependent Prepositions: Guide & Examples
- Compound Sentences: Guide & Examples
- Abstract Nouns: Guide and Examples
- Relative Clauses: Guide and Examples