Do vs Make
Sometimes learners have problems figuring out when to use «Do» and when to use «Make» since they have similar meanings.
Do vs Make: Uses and Differences
Do is an irregular verb. Its three forms are do, did, done. The present simple third person singular is does.
These are some of the ways to use do in sentences:
Do to talk about jobs, work and tasks
- Did you do the homework
- Will you do a job for me?
- He usually does his homework in front of the television.
- Have you done your essay yet?
Do to talk about general activities without being specific
- I’ve got things to do
- You have to do something about it
- What can I do for you?
Do to replace a verb when the meaning is clear
- I am going to do the dishes
- He is in charge of doing the laundry
- Are you going to do your hair?
- We use make to talk about food, meal and drinks
- I already made a cake
- I am gonna make some coffee
- I am sorry but I have to make some dinner
- We use make to talk about producing a reaction
- She is making me angry
- You make me so happy
- That makes me so mad
Do vs Make: List of Verbs
This is a lists of thing that you say with make and do
|Do business||I am doing business with you|
|Do the cleaning||I am gonna do the cleaning for you|
|Do the cooking||I am doing the cooking tonight|
|DO damages||She did some damages to the car|
|Do exercises||Why don’t you do exercises?|
|Do a favor||Can you do me a favor?|
|Do the Homework||He is doing his homework|
|Do Your Job||Please, do your job|
|Do The laundry||I haven’t done the laundry|
|Do the shopping||I am gonna do the shopping|
|Do your Best||Please, do your best at the game tonigth|
|Do a research||I am doing a university research|
|Do nothing||She is doing nothing out there|
|Do the dishes||You have to do the dishes, it is your turn|
|Do my hair||I have to do my hair, I will be ready in 15 minutes|
|Do Justice||This doesn’t do justice to all the efforts she made|
|Do harm||I promise that I won’t do you any harm|
|Do wrong||I think that she won’ t do anything wrong|
|Do a course||Linda has decided to do a course in computing|
|Do a drawing||The little boy spent hours doing a drawing.|
|Do the gardening||I spend Sunday afternoons doing gardening.|
|Do the ironing||My mother watches TV while she does the ironing.|
|Do paperwork||I hate doing all this paperwork for my boss|
|Make breakfast||I am making breakfast for you|
|Make an observation||She is going to make some observations about your class|
|Make predictions||I don’t want to make predictions about the game|
|Make a mess||The kid made a mess in the kitchen|
|Make an appointment||I am gonna make an appointment for you|
|Make an exception||We are going to make an exception with you|
|Make a discovery||She made a very important discovery about her past.|
|Make a Point||They made some good point during the meeting|
|Make a salad||She has to make a salad for the birthdaty party|
|Make a reservation||I just made a reservation|
|Make money||He needs to make some money|
|Make friends||Start making friends|
|Make a phone call||She needs to make a phone call before 12 PM|
|Make a confession||They have to make a confession if they want to be found innocent|
|Make excuses||Don’t make more excuses for your destructive behaviour|
|Make your bed||You have to make your bed before you go to school|
|Make plans||We are making plans for the next year|
|Make progress||We are making progress|
|Make a list||I have to make a grocery list before I go to the supermarket|
|Make a difference||She made a difference in her life|
|Make sure||Make sure you don’t get in trouble|
|Make love||They made love the first time they met|
|Make a fortune||She made a fortune creatings apps for android|
|Make a Joke||She made an innapropiate Joke at the meeting|
|Make fun||She was making fun of me when I saw her earlier this morning|
|Make Comments||I am gonna make some comments about the play|
|Make peace||We have to make peace if we want to work together|
|Make time||You have to make time for your family when you get home|
|Make a choice||You have to make a choice before the week ends|
|Make a payment||I’d like to make a credit card payment|
|Make someone Smile||She alwasy makes me smile|
Do vs Make: Conversation Questions
These are some examples of Make and Do conversation questions:
- What is the most important choice that you have made in your life?
- Do you usually make time for your friends and family?
- How much money do you want to make ?
- Do you usually do the dishes?
- Do you usually do the laundry? Who does the laundry at home?
- Who does the cooking at home?
- Who does the cleaning at home?
- Who is that person that can make you smile?
- Do you make friends easily?
- Who does the ironing at home?
- Do you make breakfast for yourself?
- What’s the biggest mistake that you have made?
Did you find this «Do vs Make» Guide useful?
These are two pages that you should check out before you go
- English Grammar on Englishpost.org
- All English Lessons on Englishpost.org
- Best Dictionary Ever – Cambridge Online Dictionary