Today we are going to learn more about what the preposition of place are and how to use them.
Prepositions are usually used in front of nouns or pronouns and they show the relationship between the noun or pronoun and other words in a sentence.
A preposition of place is a preposition which is used to refer to a place where something or someone is located.
The most common prepositions of place are:
|on top of
Prepositions are most commonly followed by a noun phrase or pronoun:
- The last time I saw him he was walking down the road.
- I’ll meet you in the cafe opposite the cinema.
- It was difficult to sleep during the flight.
- It was the worst storm since the 1980s.
Table of Contents
Prepositions of Place and their Definition
Prepositions can be used to show where something is located.
This is a list of preposition of place with their respective use.
|Preposition of Place
|in or to a higher position than something else
|from one side to the other of something with clear limits
|following in time, place, or order
|used to show an exact position or particular place
|at the back
|in a lower position
|into the space that separates two places, people, or objects
|near or at the side of
|not far in position or time
|In front of
|further forward than someone or something else
|in or into a room, building,container, or something similar
|not far away in distance
|people or things that are very close to each other with nothing in between
|not inside a building
|in or to a position below or lower than something else
Sentences with Prepositions of Place
These are examples of sentences using different prepositions of place.
|My Cousin Kristy lives across from the park
|She was at the entrance of the supermarket
|The secretary was sitting at her desk
|The car park is behind the building
|Maria is the one sitting behind Nick
|When flying I enjoy watching the clouds below me
|Miners work below the surface of the Earth
|The prisoner sat between the two policemen
|The house is between the market and the drugstore
|There are mountains between Chile and Argentina.
|She lives by the beach
|The pen was in the drawer
|She is in Liberia
|in front of
|The teacher stands in front of the class
|in front of
|The hospital is in front of the park
|The gift is inside the box
|I found a pack of cigarretes inside your backpack
|My house is near the school
|This building is near a subway station.
|In my English lesson I always sit next to my friend
|The soccer field is next to the basketball court
|The painting was hanging on the wall
|There were three books on your desk this morning
|She was sitting in a bench outside the hospital
|I was waiting for my kids outside the house
|The sign hanging over the door read ‘No smoking’
|They walked slowly through the woods
|The woman was sheltering under a tree
|Monsters live under your bed
Prepositions of Place Exercises
These are some preposition of place exercises that can help you determine how much you know about the topic
- Preposition of Place Exercises 101
- Preposition of Place Exercises 102
- Preposition of Place Exercises 103
- Preposition of Place Exercises 104
- Prepositions of Place, Direction and Time – Exercise
- Exercises on Prepositions of Place
Prepositions of Place Worksheet
These are some preposition of place worksheet that can help you sometime in your lesson preparation
- Prepositions of Place Worksheet 101
- Prepositions of Place Worksheet 102
These are some posts that cover grammar-related topics
- There Was and There Were: Guide & Examples
- Dependent Prepositions: Guide & Examples
- Compound Sentences: Guide & Examples
- Abstract Nouns: Guide and Examples
- Relative Clauses: Guide and Examples
- Guide to Countable and Uncountable Nouns
- Indefinite Articles in English: Guide & Examples
- Conjunctions in English: Types and Examples
- 30 Complex Sentences Examples
- Wish in English Grammar: Guide & Examples