English Pronunciation is a way in which a word or language is spoken. Good English pronunciation is an essential part of good communication.
If you don’t have a clear English pronunciation, other people may not understand what you’re saying.
Mistakes in pronunciation can cause major misunderstandings especially when we say one-syllable words. Learning Phonetics can be a difficult task but you need to learn phonetics to be able to have an excellent pronunciation.
Table of Contents
- 1 Resources to Improve your Pronunciation
- 2 8 Best English Pronunciation Apps
Resources to Improve your Pronunciation
There are many resources available to help you achieve the goal of improving your pronunciation.
We have great resources such as:
- The English Pronunciation in Use Series
- Videos that cover the 43 Sounds of the International Phonetic Alphabet
- Online Dictionaries
- The British Council Phonemic Chart
But what if you want to use apps to make learning phonetics easier?
I think apps are the future in English Language Teaching so we should use them more in the classroom.
Apps are a good complement to other resources since we take our phones wherever we go.
8 Best English Pronunciation Apps
There are many apps in different app stores so make sure to check several of them so you can find one that suits your needs.
Here is the list of the Best English Pronunciation Apps that you can in the classroom or outside to improve your English pronunciation.
Sound Pronunciation App
The Sounds Pronunciation App is always at the top of my list because the publisher is Macmillan Education and they have been teaching us English for decades.
This is one of the best English pronunciation apps to master phonetics in English. These are some of its features:
- In the App you’ll find three different practice modes – listening, writing, and reading
- The App includes a carefully selected Wordlist with over 650 high-frequency words used in the Practice and Quiz sections.
- The chart shows all the sounds of English, divided into three sections: vowels, diphthongs and consonants.
This app has a freemium and premium version. (Android / Iphone)
Learn English Sounds Right
Learn English Sounds Right is the British Council’s free pronunciation chart for learners and teachers of English worldwide.
This English pronunciation app will help you
- Develop your pronunciation and speaking skills
- Learn the sounds of English by listening to recordings of each sound
- Improve your overall comprehension by listening to sample words in context.
Say it: English Pronunciation
Say it: English Pronunciation is an app that will help you practice sounds, words and sentences and see your communication and pronunciation improve.
It comes with 100 free British English words, 4 tests and 12 sounds, taken from the best-selling English File course and Oxford’s dictionaries. It’s quick, effective and fun to use.
Pronunroid IPA Pronunciation
Pronunroid is an educational game that makes practicing English phonetics more fun!
It’s aimed at practicing IPA (International Phonetics Alphabet) transcription of English words using General American accent.
Elsa Speak: English Accent Coach
Elsa Speak: English Accent Coach coaches you to speak English like an American.
Powered by award-winning speech recognition technology, ELSA figures out where your pronunciations mistakes are and shows you how to improve.
- Start your English learning journey by talking ELSA’s Assessment Test, designed by world-class experts in English pronunciation education to identify your English pronunciation proficiency and get a detailed diagnosis on your top pronunciation challenges
- Practice your English speaking skill in a fun and relaxed learning environment without fear of embarrassment in front of other people.
Forvo Pronunciation lets you listen to, learn and record pronunciations in over 325 languages.
The app is powered by pronunciations from forvo.com – listed as one of Time Magazine’s 50 Best Websites in 2013.
- Search for words and listen to pronunciations from native speakers
- More than 4 million pronunciations available
- Compare different accents for the same word in the same language
- Listen to male or female voices
- Keep track of your recently listened to pronunciations
- Request pronunciations from Forvo’s thriving community
English Pronunciation App by Kepham
English Pronunciation app teaches you how to pronounce English properly and also checks your pronunciation (phonetic) to make sure you do it right.
With this English Pronunciation Training application, you will learn some important topics about speaking English properly such as:
- Short vowels
- Long vowels
- Double vowel sounds
- Voiced consonants
- Voiceless consonants
- Other consonants
- Mouth and tongue positions when pronouncing sounds
- Voiced and unvoiced sounds
This App will help learners, especially beginners. who have difficulties or questions on how to pronounce words properly and how to distinguish the various English sounds.
English Pronunciation plans for all levels of learner with a variety of basic lessons, advanced lessons and pronunciation tips.
With this app, you will have a great time to learn about English phonetics and sounds. You also practice pronunciation skills by word or sentences together with listening and speaking skills.
Interested In Learning More?
Check these pages and sites before you go:
Promote Conversations with this list of questions