Phonetics is the study of speech sounds and their physiological production and acoustic qualities.
- Articulatory Phonetics: It deals with the configurations of the vocal tract used to produce speech sounds
- Acoustic Phonetics: The acoustic properties of speech sounds
- Linguistic Phonetics: The manner of combining sounds so as to make syllables, words, and sentences .
Table of Contents
What are Phonetic Transcriptions?
Phonetic transcription is the visual representation of speech sounds.
The most common type of phonetic transcription uses a phonetic alphabet.
Best Sites and Apps to Learn English Phonetics
These are some of the best tools and apps to learn English Phonetics
Texts2Phonetics is a PhoTransEdit Online application that transcribes small English texts into broad phonetic transcriptions in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
TypeIPA is a PhoTransEdit Online application to type or correct pronunciations of English words or texts with an IPA keyboard that contains the most common phonetic symbols in English.
ToPhonetics is an online converter of English text to IPA phonetic transcription.
It will translate your English text into its phonetic transcription using International Phonetic Alphabet
- You can download this app from the AppStore and the playStore
Phonetizer is software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X, iPad, iPhone, Android phones and tablets, and the web that easily and quickly adds phonetic British or American English transcription to any English text.
The Cambridge Online Dictionary is my go-to dictionary because it has many functionalities that language learners need such as:
- UK Pronunciation of words
- US Pronunciation of words
- Meaning of words
- Phonetic Transcriptions of words
One of the aspects that I like the most is how this dictionary matches with the symbols used in the English Pronunciation in Use Books serie.
The phonemic chart contains the 44 sounds of spoken English. It is an excellent tool for both learning and teaching about English pronunciation
Use this site to “type” the characters by clicking with your mouse. You can then copy and paste to your software of choice, or even export the characters as an image using the save as image button.
We can’t leave behind a great series of pronunciation apps that can help you learn English Phonetics.
You can check the list of the best pronunciation apps by clicking here
Posts you Might be Interested in
These are some posts that you might be interested in
- English Pronunciation Activities for Children
- 3 ways to Pronounce the Final S
- 30 Great English Tongue Twisters
- 8 Best English Pronunciation Apps
- Full Guide to English Pronunciation
- 6 Best Pronunciation Websites
- Pronunciation: List of Minimal Pairs