There is and There are
We use there is and there are when we first refer to the existence or presence of someone or something.
The choice between the phrases there is and there are at the beginning of a sentence is determined by the noun that follows it.
This is the form to make positive statements with there is and there are
- There’s a letter on your desk. Julia brought it from the mail room.
- There is one table in the classroom
- There are three Japanese students in my class.
- There is a new cafe in the centre of town which sells Indonesian food
- There are two new buildings next to the school. They are both science buildings.
- There is a map on the coffee table, please bring it to me.
- There are two cars on the roof, scare them away.
- There are many people at the bus stop
This is the form to make negative statement using there is and there are
- There isn’t a ghost in the house
- There isn’t anybody here
- There aren’t many doctors around here
- There isn’t a new teacher in the university
- There aren’t students in this classroom
- There are two new employees in our company
- There are two new buildings next to the school.
Questions using There is and There are
This is the way to make questions using there is and there are
- Is there a ghost in the house?
- Is there a TV in the living room?
- Are there museums in this town?
- Are there people in the stage?
- Isn’t there a major risk?
- Aren’t there any restaurants around here?
How Many + Are there?
- How many people are there in this town?
- How many cats are there in the house?
- How many dogs are there in the park?
- How many countries are there in Europe?
- How many tables are there in this restaurant?
- How many people are there in this room?
- How many supermarkets are there around here?
There aren’t + Any
- There aren’t any hospitals in this town.
- There isn’t any bank here.
- There isn’t a cat in the house
- There aren’t any banks in this street
- There isn’t any money in this house
Describing your Neighborhood using There is and There are
I live in a small town in Honduras, in my community, you can find all kind of places, for example, you can go to the swimming pool which is located near the park.
There are three supermarkets and there is a bus station next to the bank. There are no airports or train stations in my town.
There is a hospital near the park and you can find two or three dugstores
There Is vs. There Are With a Series of Items
|There is a kitchen, a living room, and a bedroom in my apartment.|
|There is a cat, a hamster and a dog in the house|
Discussion Questions using There is and There are
|How many people are there in your family?|
|How many pets are there in your house?|
|Are there any good restaurants in your town?|
|Are there any good movies playing at movie theaters now?|
|Are there many students in your school / Highschool / University?|
There was and There Were
- There was a business conference at our hotel last night.
- There was a bike in the garage, now it isn’t there.
- There were two people sitting on that bench.
There will be
- There will be a ceremony in this park next Friday.
- I think there’ll be loads of people at the festival.
- There will be many volunteers in this park tomorrow
- There will be a major even in this house.
- There will be a winner
- There won’t be a cake at the party.
Other ways to use There
- There seems to be a problem
- There must be a mistake
- There have been a lot of accidents today
- There hasn’t been much rain lately.