The verb to be is used to say something about a person, thing, or state, to show a permanent or temporary quality, state, job, etc.
These are some examples to sentences with the verb to be:
|He is 25 years old|
|I am not a professional gamer|
|She is really beautiful|
|We are very friendly|
Continue reading so you can learn more about the uses of the verbs and check the many examples given here
Table of Contents
Uses of the Verb to Be
We use the verb to be to talk about the age:
- He is 41 years old
- She is 19 years old
- We are 22 years old
We use the verb to talk about the profession we have:
- I am a lawyer
- She is not a teacher
- We are Youtubers and Bloggers
We use the verb to be to talk about the physical appearance
- She is thin
- We are in shape
- They are fit
We use the verb to be to indicate where we are:
- We are at the university
- I am in the supermarket
- She is in the hospital
We use the verb to be to talk about our personality:
- She is a happy girl
- We are very friendly
- They are clever
We use the verb to be to introduce ourselves:
- I am Janet
- She is my friend Nathan
- He is my teacher
We use the verb to be to indicate our nationality
- I am italian
- She is French
- I am from Brazil
Verb to Be Examples: Affirmative
These are some affirmative sentences with the verb to be
- I am 19 years old
- I am an Spanish teacher
- She is my girlfriend
- She is not here at the moment
- He is a lawyer
- He is thin
- They are fit
- They are in shape
- It is black
- It is white
Verb to Be Examples: Negative
These are some examples of negative sentences with the verb to be
- I am not crazy
- I am not happy
- She is not my friend
- She is not my enemy
- We are not lawyers
- We are not private investigators
- They are not in shape
- They are not smart
Verb to Be Examples: Closed Questions
These are some examples of yes or no questions with the verb to be
- are you crazy?
- Are you my friend?
- Are you with me?
- Is she your girlfriend?
- Is she your teacher?
- Is she my classmate?
- Are we in the same high school?
- Are we ready to play?
- Are they smart?
- Are they clever?
- Are they happy?
Verb to Be Examples: Open Questions
These are some of the most common questions with the verb to be
- Where are you from?
- I am from Denmark
- Who are you?
- I am your new boss
- Where are you?
- I am at the gas station
- Who is she?
- She is my girlfriend?
- Why are you here?
- I was looking for something
- Where is your brother?
- He already left this morning
Verb to Be Examples: Tag Questions
These are some example of tag questions with the verb to be
- She is beautiful, isn’t she?
- We are the best, aren’t we?
- They are cool, aren’t they?
- She is your teacher, isn’t she?
- It is broken, isn’t it?
- You are in the university, aren’t you?
These are some tag questions with answers
- She is pregnant, isn’t she?
- Yes, the baby is due in december
- She is our new boss, isn’t she?
- No, she is from the Human Resources department
- We are the winners, aren’t we?
- Yes, we got two airplane tickets
- They aren’t guilty, are they?
- I am not sure, detectives haven’t reached their conclusions yet
Verb to Be: Time to think
Try to think about how much you have learned, can you think about a good way to finish these sentences.
- She is …. = She is the love of my life
Now it is your turn:
- I am a …
- She is my …
- My friend is …
- My mom …
- My friends are …
- My teacher is …
- My dog is …
- My cat …
- My computer is …
- He is my …
I hope that you have learned a lot reading this post, the verb to be is one of the most important verbs in English.
These are some posts related to grammar that you might want to check out
- 100 Simple Present Tense Examples
- 100 Present Perfect Continuous Examples
- 100 Present Perfect Examples
- 50 Future Continuous Tense Examples
- 50 Present Progressive Sentences
- 30 Sentences with Already
- 40 Sentences with was and Were
- 50 Sentences with Used to
- 20 Sentences with Yet
- 75 Past Progressive Examples
In case you have questions, feel free to message via Facebook or Twitter