How to Talk about Movies
Movies are one of the topics people like to talk about. Learn How to Talk about Movies with this helpful guide.
Type of Films
If you want to Talk about Movies, you need to learn more about the basic movie genres
|Type of Film||Characteristics|
|Horror Films||Movies with monsters|
|Action Films||Movies with battle, fights and stunts|
|Sci-Fi Movies||Stories set in the future or out of space|
|Family Movies||Films for children and adults|
|Martial Arts Films||Movies about MMA fighters|
|Adventure Films||Movies that take place in exotic places|
|Comedies||Movies intended to make laugh|
|Romantic Films||Movies about love stories|
|Documentaries||Films about real life stories|
|Animated Films||These are usually cartoons|
|Super Hero Movies||Films about heroes from comic books|
|Drama||Movies about sad and difficult situations|
- Script: something written by hand
- Stunt Man: a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
- Soundtrack: songs included in a film
- Actor: a performer in theater, television, or film
- Producer: someone who finances and supervises the making of a show
- Director: The person who directs the making of a film
- Special effect: an effect used to produce scenes that cannot be achieved by normal techniques
- Blooper: an embarrassing mistake
- Box office: the office where tickets of admission are sold
- Cast: assign the roles of (a movie or a play) to actors
- Critic: a person engaged in the analysis and interpretation of art
- Flashback: a transition in a story to an earlier event or scene
- Sequel: a part added to a book or film that continues and extends it
Questions to Talk about Movies
- What kind of movies do you like?
- What’s your favorite drama film?
- What do you think about the main character?
- Did you like the ending? What would you change?
- Would you recommend that movie?
- Do you have Netflix or any other streaming app?
- What do you think about super hero movies?
- What’s your favorite actor or actress?
- Which horror movie is the scariest? Why?
- Do you like independent films?
Teaching with Films: Logorama
Logorama is a 16-minute French animated film written and directed by H5/François Alaux, Hervé de Crécy and Ludovic Houplain, and produced by Autour de Minuit. The film depicts events in a stylized Los Angeles, and is told entirely through the use of more than 2,500 contemporary and historical logos and mascots. The film won the Prix Kodak at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival and the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film at the 82nd Academy Awards
- Watch this short animated film Logorama and enjoy it.
- Write in a sheet of paper what you think about the film.
- Watch Logorama Again and take notes about the logos that you were able to recognize and the specific scenes where you saw them.
- Record yourself for five minutes talking about the film and the logos you recognize.
- When you have the best recording you can do, type everything you said in a word document and send it along with the audio to my email address.
Now that you have watched it , tell us how much you like or hate it, support your answer with details.