Today we are going to learn how to talk about our education in English including our educational background, majors, and more.
To be able to talk about education, we have to become familiar with the different questions and possible answers related to this topic.
These are some examples of questions
|A||Where do you study?|
|B||I study in a community college|
|A||What degrees or certifications do you have?|
|B||I have a degree in English teaching|
Now, let’s explore all that you need to know to make and answer questions about your educational background in English
Table of Contents
Majors in English
Let’s start with the basics, what major are there?
|Business Administration||Business Management|
|Information Technology||Energy Engineering|
These are some examples of sentences:
- I study Business Administration
- I study languages
- I am in Law School
- I study Psychology
Major or Career?
Some students confuse major and career, they are related but they are not synonyms
- I am in the business major
- I have a career in Business
- I finished my major in Marketing in 2008
- I started my career in 2009
Expert in Something?
You can be specific about your area of expertise
- I studied Business Administration, Now I am an online marketer.
- I studied business and now I work as a restaurant manager.
- I studied administration but now I work in a human resources department
- I studied Information technology, I work as a WordPress developer.
- I studied administration and now I work as a social media marketer
Common Questions and Answers: Past
To master this topic, we have to learn what the most common questions and most common responses are:
Let’s start with the questions and answers about the past
- Where did you study in high school?
- I study at the Liceo de Nicoya High school
- Where did you go to university?
- I went to Ulatina University
- What did you study at University?
- I studied English teaching and Business Administration
- Why did you choose your major?
- Because English wasn’t so difficult for me
- When did you graduate?
- I graduated in 2018
Common Questions and Answers
Let’s check some questions that deal with the present
|A||What qualifications do you have?|
|B||I have a degree in Marketing and a certificate in English|
|A||What is your favorite subject?|
|B||I love marketing classes|
|A||What are you studying?|
|B||I am studying Languages|
|A||What classes are you taking?|
|B||I am about to finish my master’s degree|
|A||What else can you do?|
|B||I can work in customer service and I know WordPress a lot|
- Can you speak any languages?
- I only speak Spanish and English
- Do you have a major already?
- Yes, I do. I have a major in English teaching.
- What do you like the most about your major?
- I like teaching English to adults
- What subjects are you really good at?
- I am good at grammar and pronunciation
- What subject are you terrible at?
- I am terrible with theory
- What can you do?
- I can speak English
- What courses do you have?
- I have administration, public relations, and marketing courses
- Do you have any certificates?
- Yes, I have a C1 Certificate from the Centro Cultural Costarricense NorteAmericano
- Have you taken any computer classes?
- I took beginner classes at University and I took Microsoft Office classes at INA
Key Phrases to Talk about Your Educational Background
These are some important terms that can help you speak about your educational background.
- High school diploma
- Major in _______
- I have a degree in _______
- I took some ______ classes
- I can _______
- I have certificate in_______
- I have a _____________ certificate
- I took some____________courses
- I am studying ____________
- I am good at____________
- I am studying in___________
- I am taking ____________ classes
- I have an ___________ degree from the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica
A conversation about your Educational Background
This a short conversation between two teenagers talking about school and some other stuff
|Leonel||Hi Jennifer, where are you going?|
|Jennifer||I have to take the bus, I have a class|
|Leonel||What classes are you taking?|
|Jennifer||I am taking a Math Class|
|Leonel||I know Math in case you need help|
|Jennifer||I’ll send you a text tonight|
|Leonel||Ok, Talk to you later|
Other English Lessons
I hope this lesson can help you talk about your educational background easily.
These are some lessons that you might be interested in