Soccer is a team sport played with a spherical ball between two teams of eleven players. It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries and dependencies, making it the world’s most popular sport
Table of Contents
Soccer Vocabulary: Words and Phrases
These are some words and expression related to soccer vocabulary
|Soccer is a team sport
|Players make a human wall to block a free kick.
|Official time keeper of the match
|They just scored a goal
|The full time is the end of a match
|Maneavering of a ball by a single player
|Two teams of eleven players
|There si a goal at each end
|Costa Rica needs to score right now
|What’s the score? 2-2?
|Goalkeeper can touch the ball with their hands
|It is penalty for Brazil
|He was in a offside position
|Method to start the game when the ball exits
|The foul took place near the penalty area
|Within the penalty area, there is a penalty spot
|It is a tie, we will have extra time
|2-2 , It is a tie
|We will have five penalty shoot outs.
Basic Soccer Vocabulary: Players Positions in soccer
These are player positions in soccer.
Equipment to Play Soccer / Football
This soccer vocabualry have to do with the equipment to play soccer.
Soccer Vocabulary: Player Styles
These are some of the player styles that you can find among soccer players
|known as being very good at saving strikes on goal
|Crosses outside of the goal area without the use of his hands
|forwards that specialise in their accurate shooting ability
|stop the opposition’s attacking play by making strong tackles
|skilled at winning the ball back from the opposition
|are able to create goal-scoring opportunities
|controls the flow of attacking play
|players known for their close ball control ability
|any attacking player that uses their pace to beat defenders
Soccer Vocabulary: Rules
These are some soccer rules that you will find in soccer.
- Each team consists of a maximum of eleven players.
- Goalkeepers are the only players allowed to play the ball with their hands or arms.
- The goalkeeper must wear clothing that is easily distinguishable from other players.
- The referee may punish a player’s or substitute’s misconduct by a caution (yellow card) or dismissal (red card)
- There is a clearly defined area in which to play the game.
Soccer Vocabulary: Ball in and Out
This is some soccer vocabulary to use when ball is in or out .
|Indirect Free Kick
|Direct Free Kick
Soccer Vocabulary: Terminology
These are some important terms about soccer
- Advantage Rule: The referee does not have to stop play every time he detects a foul.
- Bicycle Kick: A volley in which the player kicks the ball over his own head.
- Dead Ball: When play is stopped and the ball is not moving.
- Own Goal: When a player kicks, or heads, or deflects, the ball into his own goal
Check these pages and sites before you go: