Sometimes you have to describe things in English. You can use different words to make such descriptions.
You can describe things based on:
Table of Contents
Descriptions of Things in English
Let’s check some vocabulary that will help us describe things in English.
Make sure to check the examples to understand more about how to use that vocabulary in context.
#1 Materials in English
Check this list of the most common vocabulary to describe things based on the material they are made of.
- Please pass me those plastic glasses
- There are no paper cups for the drinking fountain
#2 Colors in English
Check this list of the most common vocabulary to describe things based on the color.
- Please pass me the yellow folder
- The stapler is next the green book
- There are three blue chairs in my office
#3 Shapes in English
Check this list of the most common vocabulary to describe things based on its shape.
- The square box is for the reports
- There are two circular chairs in my office
#4 Sizes in English
Check this list of the most common vocabulary to describe things based on its size.
- That’s a big flat screen
- There is a small desk over there
#5 Opinions in English
Check this vocabulary to help describe objects based on opinion.
- That’s a nice laptop, I like it
- That’s a very strange poster for an office
#6 Age in English
These are some words to describe things in English taking into account how new or old they are
- Look at that old scanner, it barely works
- We have new headphones, Call Centers Agents love them
Locations of Things
We can also talk about the location of those objects as we describe them
- There is a very nice laptop on your desk
- There is a Mac Book Air next to the printer
- There is a very blue book next to the desktop computer
- There is a folder next to the binder
Interested In Learning Some More?
These are some posts that you might find interesting
- A Guide to Greetings and Introductions
- How to Describe Physical Appearance
- How to Give Personal Information in English
- How to Talk about Family Members in English
- How to Introduce Yourself in English
- How to Make, Accept and Decline Invitations
- How To Make Comparisons in English
- How to Give Directions in English
- How to Make Requests in English
- How to Describe Jobs in English