How to Agree and Disagree
Stating an opinion
- In my opinion…
- The way I see it…
- If you want my honest opinion….
- According to Lisa…
- As far as I’m concerned…
- If you ask me…
Asking for an opinon
- What’s your idea?
- What are your thoughts on …..?
- How do you feel about that?
- Do you have anything to say about this?
- What do you think?
- Do you agree?
- I agree with you 100 percent.
- I couldn’t agree with more.
- That’s so true..
- You’re absolutely right.
- That’s exactly how I feel.
- I’m afraid I agree with James.
- You have a point there.
- I was just going to say that.
- I don’t think so.
- (strong) No way.
- I’m afraid I disagree.
- (strong) I totally disagree.
- I beg to differ.
- Not necessarily.
- That’s not always true.
- That’s not always the case.
- I’m not so sure about that.
How to Agree and Disagree – Lesson Plan
- Students are given a paper that they have to paste in their backs, they have to make different sentences with them.
- Teacher reviews vocabulary to agree and disagree in English using a quizlet set.
- As the teacher reviews the vocabulary, students classify the sentences into different categories.
- stating an opinion
- Asking for an opinion
- Expressing Agreement
- Expressing Disagreement
- Students check with their classmates the answers
- Half of the students are given situations and how people disagree and disagree with them:
- People should work 70 hours a week.
- People should have a 4 – week vacation every year.
- Maternity leave should at least a year.
- People should retire when they are 55.
- The boss is always right.
- The customer is always right
- Minors shouldn’t do any paid labor
- Going to the university should be mandatory
- The other half are given strips of papers with these opinions:
- Working 70 hours a week is too much.
- Giving vacations to employees is a good idea.
- Spending time with your babyis very important.
- Working until you are 55 is OK.
- Not Following the boss instructions is a bad idea.
- Minors must have a formal education first.
- Going to the university is important and should be recommended.
- Students stand up and talk to their partner until both of them find their other half.
- Students are given ten situations and this time they have to agree and disagree with these statements:
- Workers should be 20 minutes earlier than the start time.
- The boss should be the person with more degrees and certificates.
- People with no experience are usually a problem fo the company.
- No more than 5 sick days a year.
- Workers should buy their company uniforms.
- People with tattoes should not be considered for work.
- Students listen to some employees discussing about a company retreat, students listen and complete the sentences.
- Students practice the conversation in pairs.
- Student create a similar conversation using the previous model as a base.
- Students create a role-play about a situation between an employer and employee
- Student make sure their grammar and pronunciation is accurate
- They do the role play in front of class.
- students complete an exercise in which they hear a statement and they reply using some of the vocabulary studied here
If you want to check other lesson plans that created using the task-based learning approach, check this page