Do you like discussing controversial topics? Do you have controversial opinions about different topics?
What are your thoughts about controversial matters that take place in politics?
Whether you have an outspoken personality or you are kind of shy, you have to know ways to:
- State your opinion
- Express agreement
- Express disagreement
- Ask for opinions
Let’s have a look at the most common expressions to agree and disagree in English
Table of Contents
- 1 Expressions to State an Opinion
- 2 Expressions to Ask for an Opinion
- 3 Expressions to Show Agreement
- 4 Expressions to Show Disagreement
- 5 Agree and Disagree in English – Examples
- 6 How to Agree and Disagree – Lesson Plan
- 7 Interested in Learning some More?
Expressions to State an Opinion
These are some common expressions to state an opinión
- In my opinion…
- The way I see it…
- If you want my honest opinion….
- According to Lisa…
- As far as I’m concerned…
- If you ask me…
Expressions to Ask for an Opinion
These are some common expressions to ask for an opinion:
- What’s your idea?
- What are your thoughts on …..?
- How do you feel about that?
- Do you have anything to say about this?
- What do you think?
- Do you agree?
Expressions to Show Agreement
These are some expressions to show agreement in English
- I agree with you 100 percent.
- I couldn’t agree with more.
- That’s so true..
- You’re absolutely right.
- That’s exactly how I feel.
- I’m afraid I agree with James.
- You have a point there.
- I was just going to say that.
Expressions to Show Disagreement
These are some expressions to show disagreement in English
- I don’t think so.
- No way.
- I’m afraid I disagree.
- I totally disagree.
- I beg to differ.
- Not necessarily.
- That’s not always true.
- That’s not always the case.
- I’m not so sure about that
Agree and Disagree in English – Examples
These are some examples of small exchanges between people discussing different topics.
- I think that we should ban guns
- I don’t agree with you, I think that’s a violation to your rights
- I think Marihuana should be illegal
- I totally disagree with you, Marihuana is not that harmful
- Abortion should be Illegal
- I don’t think so, what’s your reasoning behind it?
- What are your thoughts on Gay Marriage?
- I think we all should have the same rights
- Those students always fail classes like these
- That’s not always the case
- I think we should be ban Video Games
- No way
- What do you think about the Pandemic?
- I think we should stay home if that’s among your possibilities
- I think we have to let science decide
- I couldn’t agree more
How to Agree and Disagree – Lesson Plan
This is a lesson plan I used once to teach how to agree and disagree in English
- Students are given a paper that they have to paste in their backs, they have to make different sentences with them.
- Teacher reviews vocabulary to agree and disagree in English using a quizlet set.
- As the teacher reviews the vocabulary, students classify the sentences into different categories.
- stating an opinion
- Asking for an opinion
- Expressing Agreement
- Expressing Disagreement
- Students check with their classmates the answers
- Half of the students are given situations and how people disagree and disagree with them:
- People should work 70 hours a week.
- People should have a 4 – week vacation every year.
- Maternity leave should at least a year.
- People should retire when they are 55.
- The boss is always right.
- The customer is always right
- Minors shouldn’t do any paid labor
- Going to the university should be mandatory
- The other half are given strips of papers with these opinions:
- Working 70 hours a week is too much.
- Giving vacations to employees is a good idea.
- Spending time with your babyis very important.
- Working until you are 55 is OK.
- Not Following the boss instructions is a bad idea.
- Minors must have a formal education first.
- Going to the university is important and should be recommended.
- Students stand up and talk to their partner until both of them find their other half.
- Students are given ten situations and this time they have to agree and disagree with these statements:
- Workers should be 20 minutes earlier than the start time.
- The boss should be the person with more degrees and certificates.
- People with no experience are usually a problem fo the company.
- No more than 5 sick days a year.
- Workers should buy their company uniforms.
- People with tattoes should not be considered for work.
- Students listen to some employees discussing about a company retreat, students listen and complete the sentences.
- Students practice the conversation in pairs.
- Student create a similar conversation using the previous model as a base.
- Students create a role-play about a situation between an employer and employee
- Student make sure their grammar and pronunciation is accurate
- They do the role play in front of class.
- students complete an exercise in which they hear a statement and they reply using some of the vocabulary studied here
Interested in Learning some More?
I hope that you have found everything you were looking for about expression to agree and disagree in English
These are some posts in case you want to continue learning English
- How to Talk about Good and Services
- How to Talk about Likes and Dislikes at Work
- How to Go Shopping in English
- How to Talk about Your Last Vacation in English
- How to Set Goals in English
- How to Talk about Food in English
- How to Talk About my Soft Skills
- How to Make Requests in English
- How to Talk about Facilities in English