key Vocabulary – Diseases, Disorders and Injuries
- Skin: skin irritation, skin inflammation, redness, tenderness, swelling, rash, itching, acne, pimple, blister, burn, scar, scratch
- Eye: nearsightedness, farsightedness,conjunctivitis, , cataract.
- Ear: wax blockage, hearing loss, earache, ruptured eardrum.
- Nose, throat, lungs: nosebleed, runny nose, stuffy nose, rhinitis, hay fever, sinusitis, a cold, laryngitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma.
- Heart and circulation: high blood pressure, heart disease, heart failure, heart attack, cardiac arrest.
- Blood: anemia, bleeding, internal bleeding, hemorrhage, leukemia.
- Brain and nervous system: headache, migraine, dizziness , meningitis, epilepsy, convulsions, seizure, stroke, paralysis, cerebral palsy, dementia.
- Nutrition: vitamin deficiency , obesity, to be overweight, weight loss, anorexia, bulimia.
- Stomach, intestines: indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gastritis, colitis, appendicitis, cholera.
- Liver: hepatitis, , cirrhosis.
- Kidneys: kidney stones.
- Bones, joints: backache / back pain,osteoporosis, arthritis.
- Muscles: muscle spasm, muscle cramp, muscular dystrophy, hernia.
- Injuries: injury, wound, trauma, hand injury, knee injury, foot injury, head injury, concussion, contusion, fracture, fractured bone, sprained ankle, bruise to have a broken arm.
- General infections: the flu / influenza, tuberculosis, tetanus, rabies, yellow fever,, smallpox, anthrax.
- Infectious diseases: measles, polio, chicken pox, scarlet fever.
- Hormonal disorders: diabetes.
- Oncology: benign tumor, malignant tumor, cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, skin cancer.
- Mental disorders: depression, phobia, schizophrenia.
- Addictions: alcohol abuse, drug abuse.
Pronoun + Have /has + an /an + health problem
|I have a stiff neck|
|I have a twisted ankle|
|I have an ear infection|
|She has a runny nose|
|He has a deep cut|
|He has a sore throat|
|You have a chest pain|
|They have a broken leg|
Pronoun + broke + my/ her/ his + health problem
|I broke my leg|
|I broke my arm|
|She broke her right left|
|He broke her right arm|
|He broken his leg|
How to Give Recommendations about Health Problems
Recommendations to Health Problems
Pronoun +should +verb + article+ recommendation
- You should drink plenty of water
- You should take some medicaments
- You shoud drink a hot soup
- You should take vitamin C
- You should rest
- You should take some rest
- You should take a painkiller
- You should apply a Ice Pack in the back of your neck
Health Problems Practice
If you want to practice spelling and vocabulary and besides that encourage independent learning, send this Common Illnesses, Diseases and Sickness Flashcard Set to your students
Download this worksheet and make copies for your students
Health Problems – Production
There are several ideas to make students use the target vocabulary and phrases creatively
- Create a Powerpoint presentation and include pictures of common diseases, illnesses and sickness studied in class, show the picture to your students and ask them to make sentences such as:
- She has a broken leg
- He has a runny nose
- Create a Powerpoint presentation and include pictures of common diseases, illnesses and sickness studied in class, show the picture to your students and ask them to give recommendations
- She should go to the doctor
- She has to take a rest