How to Give Advice in English
These are some common ways to ask for advice and suggestions in English
- What do you think I should do?
- What should I do?
- What do you suggest?
- What do you advise me to do?
- If you were me what would you do?
- What ought I to do?
- Do you think that I should…?
10 Ways to Give Advice in English
There are a number of expressions which we can use to give advice and make suggestions in English:
- Ought to
- Had Better
- Why not …? and why don’t …?
- How about/what about + -ing?
- Let’s … and let’s not …
- Can’t you …?
#1: Modal Should
You can use the modal should to give suggestions in English
- I think you should buy a new car.
- I am pretty sure that she should move to another country.
- It seems to me that you should pay her back as soon as you can
#2 Ought to
You can use Ought to to give advice in English
- You ought to do more exercise.
- You ought not to drink so much beer.
#3 Had Better
This structure is common in spoken English and it is usually used in the contracted form.
- You’d better return the answers to the lecturer
- You’d better not tell anyone that you found them
#4 Why Don’t you?
You can make questions to make a less direct recommendation
- Why don’t you do exercises more often?
- How about joining a gym nearby?
- Why don’t you go a jogging?
If I were you … is used when giving ADVICE about what you would do in the same situation as the other person
- If I were you, I would move to Italy next year
- If I were you, I would enjoy my vacation
- If I were you, I would make that hotel reservation right now.
A suggestion or recommendation is another good way of giving advice that isn’t to direct
Some Example of suggestions are:
- I would suggest playing less video games
- I would recommend resting more than 8 hours a day
- I would suggest taking a holiday
#7 Use Imperative to Give Advice in English
We can use imperative verbs + ‘-ing’ to give advice.
Check these advices given to a person who wants to be fit
- Start going to the gym
- Read more often to improve spelling
- Try running once at week
- Consider joining a running team
#8 How about/what about + -ing?
These are some examples about how to make suggestions in English with How about?
- How about opening a new store?
- How about working overtime?
#9 Let’s … and let’s not …
These are some examples about how to make suggestions in English with let’s.
- Let’s hire a new software developer
- Let’s talk to the manager about it
#10 Could and Can
These are some examples about how to make suggestions in English with could and can
- Could you make more calls?
- Can you postpone the meeting?
Giving Advice in English: Situations
These are 3 situations that will help you practice how to give advice in English
I visited my Doctor and he told me that I should lose weight so tell me what I can do since I don’t have too much time to go to the Gym and I never like to follow a strict diet.
I am going to be hired by an American company so I have to move to the United States in less than a year but the toughest part is that I have to be proficient in English so tell me what I should do in these few months to improve it.
I am just a high school graduate but I don’t know what major to study or path to follow, my friends are making quick decisions and some of them are attending law school and medicine school and I don’t even know where to start, tell me what I should do first
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go: