Table of Contents
Giving advice in English can be complex at times since there are many ways to do so.
These are some common ways to ask for advice and suggestions in English
- What do you think I should do?
- What should I do?
- What do you suggest?
- What do you advise me to do?
- If you were me what would you do?
- What ought I to do?
- Do you think that I should…?
10 Ways to Give Advice in English
There are a number of expressions which we can use to give advice and make suggestions in English:
- Ought to
- Had Better
- Why not …? and why don’t …?
- How about/what about + -ing?
- Let’s … and let’s not …
- Can’t you …?
#1: Modal Should
You can use the modal should to give suggestions in English
- I think you should buy a new car.
- I am pretty sure that she should move to another country.
- It seems to me that you should pay her back as soon as you can
#2 Ought to
You can use Ought to to give advice in English
- You ought to do more exercise.
- You ought not to drink so much beer.
#3 Had Better
This structure is common in spoken English and it is usually used in the contracted form.
- You’d better return the answers to the lecturer
- You’d better not tell anyone that you found them
#4 Why Don’t you?
You can make questions to make a less direct recommendation
- Why don’t you do exercises more often?
- How about joining a gym nearby?
- Why don’t you go a jogging?
If I were you … is used when giving ADVICE about what you would do in the same situation as the other person
- If I were you, I would move to Italy next year
- If I were you, I would enjoy my vacation
- If I were you, I would make that hotel reservation right now.
A suggestion or recommendation is another good way of giving advice that isn’t to direct
Some Example of suggestions are:
- I would suggest playing less video games
- I would recommend resting more than 8 hours a day
- I would suggest taking a holiday
- I would suggest creating a business
#7 Use Imperative to Give Advice in English
We can use imperative verbs + ‘-ing’ to give advice.
Check these advices given to a person who wants to be fit
- Start going to the gym
- Read more often to improve spelling
- Try running once at week
- Consider joining a running team
- Try reaching customer support again
#8 How about/what about + -ing?
These are some examples about how to make suggestions in English with How about?
- How about opening a new store?
- How about working overtime?
- How about buying an SEO course?
#9 Let’s … and let’s not …
These are some examples about how to make suggestions in English with let’s.
- Let’s hire a new software developer
- Let’s talk to the manager about it
- Let’s not do that
- Let’s talk to Mike
- Let’s create a website
#10 Could and Can
These are some examples about how to make suggestions in English with could and can
- Could you make more calls?
- Can you postpone the meeting?
- Can you find an easy fix for this problem?
Giving Advice in English: Situations
These are 3 situations that will help you practice how to give advice in English
I visited my Doctor and he told me that I should lose weight so tell me what I can do since I don’t have too much time to go to the Gym and I never like to follow a strict diet.
I am going to be hired by an American company so I have to move to the United States in less than a year but the toughest part is that I have to be proficient in English so tell me what I should do in these few months to improve it.
I am just a high school graduate but I don’t know what major to study or path to follow, my friends are making quick decisions and some of them are attending law school and medicine school and I don’t even know where to start, tell me what I should do first
Advice in English = Short Conversation
This is a short conversation about giving advice in English
|Sarah||You look sad, what happened?|
|Zeek||I don’t understand Math and I have a test|
|Sarah||I don’t understand Math either|
|Zeek||I don’t know what to do, I wanna pass this class|
|Sarah||Why don’t we talk to Mike?|
|Zeek||That’s such a great idea|
|Sarah||Mike is good at Math|
|Zeek||I have his number|
Interested in More Lessons?
These are other lessons that you might be interested in
- How to Talk about Health Problems in English
- Sports and Leisure Activities in English
- How to Negotiate in English
- How to Give Directions in English
- How to Talk about Vacation Plans in English
- How to Make Complaints in English
- How to Describe Jobs in English
- How to Write Formal and Informal Emails
- Places Around Town in English