How to Go Shopping in English
When you travel to a foreign language where English is spoken, you need to use your language to communicate with others.
You need to know:
- How to Ask for a Price in English
- How to get details about the features of a product
- How to deal with shopping Problems
Useful Expressions for Shopping in English
These are some useful expressions when shopping in English
#1 Ways to Pay
These are some useful ways to talk about methods to pay in English
|Can I pay with credit card?||Do you take Visa?|
|Do I have to pay in cash?||Is there an ATM near here?|
|Can I pay with cash?||Do you offer a cash discount?|
|Can I pay by check?||Do you give credit?|
#2 Talking about the Price
This is some useful vocabulary to get the price of a product in English
|How much is it?||How much are these?|
|This is quite expensive||Those computers are cheap|
|How much does this cost?||How much do they cost?|
|Can I get a discount?||Can you give me a discount if I buy two?|
|It is 10% off||It is two for one|
|Can you do me a deal?||Can you throw in any extras?|
|What is the price after the discount?||How much is the tax?|
#3 Looking for recommendations in English
This is some useful vocabulary to get recommendations in English
|Can you recommend a good shoe store?||Where is the nearest shopping centre?|
|Is there pharmacy in this area?||Where can I buy books?|
|Do you know where the nearest hardware store is?||Do you sell Iphones here?|
#4 Opening Hours in English
These are some ways to talk about the opening hours of a store
|What time do you open?||What time do you close?|
|What are your opening hours?||Are you open all day?|
#5 Restrictions when Shopping in English
These are some common phrases to talk about restrictions when shopping in English
|Deposit required||No exchanges|
|No refunds||No coupons|
#6 Other Useful Vocabulary
These are other useful expressions
- To spend money
- To sell
- To buy
- To go shopping
- To browse
- To go window shopping
- May I help you?
- Are you looking for anything in particular?
- I am just browsing
- I am looking for a Dell Computer
#7 Shopping Conversation Questions
These are some conversation questions if you want to have a good conversation with your students or classmate.
Shopping Set #1
- Do you like shopping?
- Do you prefer shopping alone or with friends or family?
- How much do you spend when you go shopping?
- Do you shop online? What kind of items do you buy online?
- What’s the most expensive thing that you have ever bought?
- Do you usually buy stuff on Black Friday?
- What’s your favourite shop?
Shopping Set #2
- What do you hate most about shopping?
- What is ‘window shopping’? Do you like window-shopping?
- Do you usually buy brand name products? Why?
- Do you usuually to get coupons or discounts?
- how much did you spend on presents last year?
- Do you compare prices at different stores when you shop?
- Do you enjoy shopping?
Shopping Set #3
- Do you ever buy second-hand things?
- Do you usually pay with your credit or debit card?
- Do you sometimes buy things that you don’t need?
- Where is your favorite place to shop for clothes?
- How do you feel about shopping at department stores or malls?
- Which is better, shopping in shops or shopping online?
- Have you ever used eBay?
- Do you like to go shopping for clothes?
- Do you like to go shopping for electronics?
#8 How to Go Shopping Dialogue
These are some shopping dialogues to help you practoice
Shopping Conversation A
|W: We are having a summer sale. Everything is 50% off the normal price.|
|W: Yes. Everything is on sale, including jeans, sandals, and belt. All the summer shirts are on sale, too.|
|M: I do need some new glasses. I lost mine when I went to the beach this summer. Oh, these are really nice. What is the price of these? There is no price tag on them.|
|W: Well, sir, there’s no price tag on those sunglasses because they are mine!|
|M: Really? I would like to get a pair of sunglasses just like these. Where did you get them?|
|W: Actually, I got them for $15 at a Quicksilver store.|
|M: There is a Quiksilver store in this mall, isn’t there?|
|W: Yes, but let me show you the ones we have on sale.|
|M: No, thanks. I think I’ll just go to Super Glasses!|
Shopping Conversation B
Salesperson: Can I help you?
Gloria: Yes, I’m looking for a sweater — in a size medium.
Salesperson: Let’s see…here’s a nice white one. What do you think?
Gloria: I think I’d rather have it in blue.
Salesperson: OK…here’s blue, in a medium. Would you like to try it on?
Gloria: OK…yes, I love it. It fits perfectly. How much is it?
Salesperson: It’s $50. It will be $53 with tax.
Gloria: Perfect! I’ll take it.
#9 Shopping Vocabulary Worksheets PDF
These are some shopping vocabulary worksheets in PDF Format
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go: