Transport or transportation is the movement of humans, animals and goods from one location to another.
In other words the action of transportation is defined as a particular movement of an organism or thing from a point A to the Point B.
Modes of Transport include
- Land (rail and road)
Check all that you need to know to make sentences about the means of transportation correctly
Table of Contents
Types of Means of Transport
These are the different types of means of transportation with definition and examples
People travelling on the road are either pedestrians, cyclists or they are using a certain type of vehicle, such as automobiles, bicycles, buses, vans or trucks.
This includes all transport over rails. This can be either for passenger or goods transport, and with different modes of transport, such as trains, metro and trams.
Water transport or Ship transport is watercraft carrying people (passengers) or goods (cargo).
Air transport includes all transport through the air. In an urban or regional context this air transport includes local air traffic such as small airplanes or helicopters
Public transport is passenger transport which is publicly available. This can furthermore be distinguished in collective and individual transport.
Examples of collective public transport are transport by buses, tram metro, train and plane.
Means of Transportation Vocabulary List
This a list with the most common Means of Transportation Vocabulary:
|Golf cart||Taxi||Garbage Truck|
|Hot air balloon||Van||Yacht|
Verbs to Talk about Means of Transportation
These are some of the most common verbs to talk about means of transportation in English.
|catch||I have to catch a bus and I am late|
|Drive||I am going to drive my car to the service stations|
|Ride||She is riding her new motorcycle|
|Get on||I have to get on this bus, I can’t wait any longer|
|Get off||We will be getting off the train at the next stop|
|Get in||We need to get in the taxi right now|
|Get out||Let’s get out of the car|
Dialogue about Means of Transportation
Situation: Tom is talking to Mary about his trip plan for a week.
|Tom:||I’m going to Liberia next week.|
|Mary:||How are you traveling?|
|Tom:||By plane. It’s more expensive, but it’s the fastest way to get there. |
Liberia has a modern international airport.
|Mary:||That’s interesting. Why do you want to go there?|
|Tom:||Because Liberia has everything: nice weather, warm people and the most beautiful beaches are very near, around the Papagayo Gulf. You can go to the beaches by bus or you can rent a car.|
|Mary:||Where did you get that information?|
|Tom:||On the Internet.|
|Mary:||I’m sure you’ll have a great time.|
|Tom:||I know I will.|
Means of Transportation Exercises
Read each one of the sentences and try to guess the mean of transportation that the sentence refers to.
- This means of transportation is used to go to space:________
- Two examples of two-wheeled vehicles are __________ and __________
- This means of transport is capable of going underwater:_____________
- This means of transport is used exclusively to transport injured people:_________
- This is used to move damaged vehicles:__________
- This is used to collect municipal solid waste:____________
- This is used for winter travel and recreation:____________
- It is moved by pushing with one foot while the other remains on the board:_________
- an automobile built or modified for racing:__________
- Vehicles specialized to deliver different types of goods:__________
- A small vehicle created to carry golfers:___________
- Vehicle that provides both transport and sleeping accommodation:____________
- Vehicle for hire with a driver:_________
- armored fighting vehicle designed for front-line combat:___________
- this aircraft is capable of moving vertically and horizontally:________
Interested in Learning More English?
I hope that you have found everything you were looking for about means of transportations in English
Check some of these lessons before you go:
- How to Describe Physical Appearance in English
- How to Talk about Hobbies in English
- How to Greet and Introduce Yourself in English
- How to Talk about Sport in English
Check some of these pronunciation resources before you go:
And finally bookmark these posts as they can help you later