How to Talk about Places Around Town
Learninig how to talk about places around town is important since you need to get to new places when you are visiting new places
Places around Town Vocabulary
This is some key vocabulary about places around town divided into categories:
|bus stop||Bus terminal|
|bus station||taxi stop|
|subway station||parking lot|
|Train station||gas station|
|Police Department||Fire Department|
|City Hall||Town Hall|
|Amusement Park||Water Park|
Places to Eat
|Pizzeria||fast food restaurant|
|Shopping Center||Shopping Mall|
|Department Store||Shoe store|
|Fitness Center||Tennis court|
|Maternity House||Health Center|
|Day care center||Campus|
|Rental Agency||Real State Agency|
|Repair Shop||Service Station|
Prepositions of place
- besides to
- next to
- infront of
- across from
- around the corner from
- on main street
- on the second floor
- at 415 main street
Description of places
How to Talk about Places Around Town – Lesson Plan
First day Routine:
- Teacher introduces himself/ herself using a powerpoint presentation, he/she talks a bit his likes in music, movies and anime.
- Teacher ask students to send a whatsapp message to his/her number and then he/she sends an invitation link so they can join the group
- Once the group is created, teacher sends a google form with personal information so students can interview each other.
- Teacher talks about the contents and the evaluation of the course.
- Teacher sends the information to their email addresses.
- Teacher plays some songs and students pass around a balloon.
- When the music stops, the student with the balloon in her hands has to introduce the classmate he/she has to introduce himself /herself.
- Teacher distributes strips of paper of the lyrics of a song called «Good Life» by One Republic
- Students have to make groups and arrange the song
This activity is to introduce vocabulary and reinforce new vocabulary
- Teacher sends a TinyCard Set about places.
- Students make pairs and quiz their classmate by asking a question about the new vocabulary
- They switch places and quiz other students
The aim of this task is to help students familiarize with the expressions to talk about what you can find a city.
- Students make groups of 5, they are given a set of scrambled sentences and they have to arrange the words so the sentence makes sense .
- Each member of the group is given a set of 3 sentences, once they finished
- Students gather with other students that have the same set and make sure they have the same answers.
- Teacher plays a video,students listen to it
- Teacher plays the video one more time and students answer this online quiz
- Teacher introduces how to make polite questions using do you know? could you tell me? can you tell me?
- Teacher sends different maps that students need and they describe those places to their classmates.
- Students make group of 5.
- Students have to create a collage, the collage must be about 10 places they can find in the nearest city.
- Students have to know where those 10 places are located.
Once the groups are finished, a member of each group join a group and they ask question to each other about the places in their collages.
- Students are sent this video
- They analyze it and they have to make groups of 3 and create one similar.
- Teacher reviews the vocabulary by doing an exercise online with the students
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
- Teaching English in Costa Rica
Check these pages and sites before you go: