How to Use Gerunds in English
Gerunds are words that are formed with verbs but act as nouns.
- I was running with my friends
- I love playing soccer
- Let’s go dancing at the club tonight.
- Swimming in the ocean is dangerous
- Going to college is expensive
- Dreaming is my hobby during long winter holidays
Types of Gerunds
We use gerunds as:
- subjects: Hiking is good for health.
- objects: He enjoys hiking.
- subject complements: My favorite activity is playing soccer
- objects of prepositions: I asked him about playing soccer
Check this chart to see how the four types of gerunds work
|Subject||Travellng is awesome||The program is awesome|
|Object||He enjoys playing||He enjoys games|
|subject complements||My favorite activity is hiking||My favorite activity is chess|
|objects of prepositions||I arrested him for speeding.||I arrested him for criminal acts|
#1 The Gerund as the Subject of a Sentence
Gerunds can be the subject of a sentence in English
|Gerund as a subject|
|Running is very important|
Examples of gerunds as subjects of a sentence
- Gambling is a very dangerous occupation.
- Flying makes me nervous.
- Gardening is my favorite hobby.
- Running is good exercise.
- Playing soccer is good for your health
- Singing makes Sarah happy
#2 The Gerund as Direct Object in a sentence
A gerund can also function as the direct object in a sentence.
Let’s look at it in the following sentence:
- Sarah enjoys singing.
- I hope you will enjoy my offering you this chance
- My neighbors admire my gardening
- They do not appreciate my singing
#3 Gerunds as the Object of Preposition
- Thank you for choosing my lesson.
- I’m thinking about living in Norway
- I’m interested in collecting stamps.
- I will call you after arriving at the office.
- The police arrested him for speeding
#4 The Gerund as a Subject complement
- One of life’s pleasures is having breakfast in bed.
- My favorite pastime is reading books
- Something that I hate is working long hours
- All I have been doing is watching TV
- One of the things I do is exercising
- Peter’s ideal move is walking away from his friends
- My favorite thing to do is cooking.
- My cat’s favorite activity is sleeping.
Gerunds in English: Other Considerations
The Gerund After Prepositions
- Can you sneeze without opening your mouth?
- She is good at painting.
- Leslie got into trouble for talking to Sarah.
- Brush you teeth before going to bed.
- Call my mom after doing the laundry
- Besides singing, Sarah likes dancing.
The Gerund After Phrasal Verbs
- When will you give up smoking?
- She always puts off going to the dentist.
- Tom looked into finding a new apartment.
- She took a long time to get over losing her mom
- I am going to quit drinking
The Gerund in Compound Nouns
- I am giving Sally a driving lesson.
- They have a swimming pool in their back yard.
- I am taking singing lessons
- I bought some new running shoes.
- She has a dancing lesson.
The Gerund After Some Expressions
- She couldn’t help falling in love with him.
- I can’t stand being stuck in traffic jams.
- When I came in they stopped talking.
- I enjoy Cooking with my mom
- I love playing soccer
Gerunds vs. Present Participles
A gerund is not the same thing as a present participle even though both terms end in “-ing.”
Sarah is singing
- In this example, “is singing” is the verb phrase. “Singing” is the present progressive verb, telling what the subject “Sarah” is doing.
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go: