Vocabulary and Structures
Places around Town
- There is a park
- There isn’t a park
- There are two restaurants
- There are three supermarkets
- There are no restaurants
- There is a church
Schema Activation (5 Mins)
Pop the Balloon
- The teacher gives students a balloon with a strip of paper inside, the strip of paper has a place from a neighborhood.
- The teacher plays a song and students pass around the balloon, when the music stops, the student with the balloon in his/her hands pops it.
- The students read the strip of paper with the place from a neighborhood and he/ she does mimics so their classmates guess the place around town he/she is referring to.
Task#1 (10 Mins)
- Teacher asks their students to turn on the cellphones, he sends a quizlet set using the whatsapp group.
- The quizlet is made up of places around town in one side and a picture that represents the place on the other side.
- Students using the quizlet, check the spelling and pronunciation of 15 words included there.
- Once they finished reviewing the vocabulary, they stand up and quiz each other by showing the picture include in the quizlet set and asking their partners “what’s this?”
Task #2 (10 Mins)
- Teacher asks students to pair up and read a short description of a community. Each group has a different reading.
- Then teacher asks them to highlight expression such as There is , there are, there isn’t and there aren’t
- Once they finished highlighting the expressions, they stand up for and talk to their classmates about the communities they read about. for example
- There is a park in Bagaces
- There is a hospital in Liberia
- There is a Walmart in Nicoya
Task: 10 Mins
- Students are sent a wordle that has places around town.
- Students check the wordle and identify the places found in their communities and think about sentences such as:
- “There is a university in Nicoya”
- “There are three supermarkets in Nicoya”
- Once they are ready, they stand up and talk to their classmates for a 30 seconds, they do that for three minutes
- Teacher sends them a google form with sentences to complete to see if students know the difference between there is and there are, for example:
- There ______________ a bank
- There ______________ a bank
Points to Think about
- Teacher uses technology at home so students use it in the classroom. If we want to integrate technology in the classroom, both teachers and students need to use it.
- Almost all tasks require that students stand up and interact with others.
- Most tasks are learner-centered tasks in which we can see students doing collaborative work and having peer to peer interaction.
- Since tasks are teacher-centered, a teacher can take notes without interrupting the interaction that students are having, he/ she can assess and provide feedback at the end of the class.
- Since the class lasts around 45 mins, the teacher focuses on 15 words and part of an structure that students can manage easily.
- Grammar is taught inductively through short texts.
- There is no lengthy explanation about grammar and introduction of vocabulary. Quizlet helps with spelling, pronunciation and meaning.
- All tasks use pretty much the same vocabulary and definitely the same structure.