An embedded question is a question that is reported to other people in speech or writing, rather than the exact words of the original question.
There are embedded questions and embedded sentences.
These are some examples of embedded questions:
- Could you tell me where the bank is?
- Can you tell me where the gas station is?
- Can you remember where the movie theater is?
- Do you know what type of clothes they were wearing?
- Do you remember what tool she took?
These are some examples of embedded sentences:
- I don’t know where she has gone.
- We need to know where you live
- I can’t tell you where she is
- I am not sure where she went
- We don’t remember where the house is?
Let’s explore in more detail all types of embedded sentences and questions you can make.
Table of Contents
- 1 Embedded Questions: Introductory Phrases
- 2 Embedded Questions
Embedded Questions: Introductory Phrases
These are some common introductory phrases for embedded questions.
|Introductory Phrases||Embedded Questions Examples|
|I wonder if…||I wonder if you could help me out|
|Could you tell me …?||Could you tell me where the station is?|
|Do you know …?||Do you know how to ride a bike?|
|Can you remember…?||Can you remember where you left it?|
|We need to know…||We need to know where you are|
|I am not sure||I am not sure where you were last night|
|Can you tell me…?||Can you tell me where he lives?|
Embedded Questions: Examples
Here we can see several examples of Embedded Questions
|Direct Questions||Indirect Questions|
|What time is it?||Can you tell me what time it is?|
|Where is she?||Could you tell me where she is?|
|What’s her name?||Do you know what her name is?|
|Who is a doctor?||I wonder who is a doctor|
|What is she doing?||I wonder what she is doing|
|Can she win?||Can you tell me whether or not she can swim?|
Embedded Questions: Tenses
These are examples of how direct questions change into indirect questions.
|Tense||Direct Question||Indirect Question|
|Verb to be||Where is she?||Do you know where she is?|
|Simple Present||Where does he work?||Can you tell me where he works?|
|Verb to be||Was he sick?||Do you know if he was sick?|
|Simple past||What did he win?||Could you tell me what he won?|
|Present Perfect||Where have you been?||Can you tell me where you have been?|
|Future Continuous||Are you going to play||Can you tell me if you are going to play|
|Future with will||Will she be there?||Could you tell me if she will be there?|
|Modal Should||Should we start now?||Do you know if we should start now?|
Embedded Questions and Contractions
Do not use a verbal contraction at the end of the sentence when you make embedded or indirect questions.
|Where is she?||Do you know where she is?|
|who are they?||Can you tell me who they are?|
|What’s her name?||Could you tell me where her name is?|
|How tall are they?||Could you tell me how tall they are?|
Embedded Questions: Whether and If
These are some examples that show how whether and If are used in indirect questions
|Direct Question||Indirect Question|
|Are you tired?||They asked me whether I was tired|
|Do the rooms have showers?||They asked whether the rooms have showers or not|
|Are you sick?||They asked if I was sick|
|Do the rooms have cable TV?||They asked if the rooms have cable TV.|
|is the Doctor available?||Could you tell me if the doctor is available?|
Embedded Questions: Subject Questions
These are some examples of embedded questions based on subject questions
- Who took the money?
- I don’t know who took the money
- What happened?
- Can you tell me what happened?
- Who called me?
- Do you know who called me?
- Who was first person in the scene?
- Can you tell me who the first person in the scene was?
This is a good video to understand more about embedded questions
Embedded Questions Exercises
These are some embedded questions exercise that can help you achieve your goals
- Embedded Questions Quiz
- Embedded Questions Quiz
- Indirect Question Exercises PDF
- Indirect Questions – Grammar Challenge PDF
- Embedded Questions Exercises and Test
Embedded Questions Worksheets
These are some embedded questions worksheets to help you learn more:
Interested in Learning Some More?
- 3 Types of Conditional Sentences
- 5 Types of Pronouns in English
- Full Guide to Prepositions of Place
- Indefinite Articles in English
- A Complete Guide to Compound Sentences