How to Talk about Facilities and Services
Objective: Exchange Information and talk about facilities and services offered by different companies and Institutions
Target Vocabulary and Grammar – Facilities and Services
A service is something that the public needs, such as transport, communications facilities, hospitals, or energy supplies, which is provided in a planned and organized way by the government or an official body.
Facilities are buildings, pieces of equipment, or services that are provided for a particular purpose.
Places around Town
- airport : Aeropuerto
- bakery : Panaderia
- bank : Banco
- bookstore: Libreria
- bus station: Estación de Bus
- cafe: Cafe
- church: Iglesia
- court: Corte
- department store : Tienda por Departamentos
- Movie theather: Cine
- fire station: Estacion de Bomberos
- gas station: Estación de gasolina
- gym: Gimnasio
- hospital: Hospital
- hotel: Hotel
- gallery: Galeria
- library: Biblioteca
- museum: Museo
- Drugstore : Farmacia
- police station : Estación de Policia
- park: Parque
Facilities and Services
- Free Wi-Fi : Wifi Gratis
- Conference Center : Centro de Conferencias
- Fitness Center: Gimnasio
- Free Parking: Parqueo Gratuito
- Medical facilities: Facilidades medicas
- Conference Center: Centro de Conferencias
- Copy Center: Servicio de Fotocopiado
- Auditorium: Auditorio
- Restroom: Tocador
- Reception: Recepción
- Dorms: Dormitorios
- Library: Biblioteca
- Office: Oficina
- Security Booths: Casetilla de seguridad
- Computer Lab: Laboratorio de computo
- Cafeteria: Cafeteria
- Website: Sitio Web
Target Structures and Phrases
- Where is the gym located? :
- The Gym is located by the central park
- Are there any banks around here?
- Yes , There are two banks around here
- Is there a drugstore nearby?
- Yes There isn’t
- Does the company have an auditorium?
- No, It doesn’t
- Does the Company have free Wifi?
- Yes, it does
- Can you tell me where the cafeteria is ?
- It is on the second floor
- What does the cafeteria offer?
- The cafeteria offers a variety of snacks
- Can I have some information about the company?
- Yes,The company is located in Alajuela and it has excellent facilities , it has a copy center and a computer lab.
- Does the company have a website?
- Yes it does, the company’s website is utn.com
- Does the company have a computer lab?
- Yes, it does, actually it has three computer labs
Lesson Plan – How to Talk about Facilities and Services
Schema Activation (10 Mins)
Teacher plays a hangman using the website hangman.no. In that way, they practice spelling and that helps students guess the topic that they are going to study in class. (Playcode: hbgddfdtibbd)
Task #1 (15 Minutes)
Students using this quizlet flashcard set will review the vocabulary that will be studied in class.
- Student sit in pairs and in front of each other.
- Students review the vocabulary using the quizlet flashcard
- They review vocabulary, spelling and pronunciation.
- Students quiz their classmates by asking questions such as:
- how do you say “Parqueo Gratuito”?
Task #2 (30 Minutes)
Teacher introduces the most common questions to make when you talk about facilities and services.
- Some students are given pieces of paper one question and one answer.
- One student reads the question aloud and another member of the group reads the answer if they have it.
Task #3 (35 Mins)
Students will make a phone interview about a company or institution
- Students create a name for a company and choose what services they offer and the services they don’t offer.
- Half of the group will make these questions to the students who are representing the company they created.
- Then students change roles and do the same.
- Once they have finished with their interview, they report the results to other classmates.
Main-Task (30 Mins)
Students make pairs and choose a company or an institution and the services they offer:
- As a group, they choose a company or an institution.
- They find out about 10 facilities and services that the company or institution offers.
- They create a collage using their phones or a wordle.
- Once all groups are ready, they display their two pictures to their classmates and talk about the company.
Post-Task (30 Mins)
- Teacher prepares a kahoot quiz, students install the application in their cellphone and the person with the most correct and fast answers will be crowned the winner. The kahoot quiz can be seen here
- Students will receive a powerpoint presentaton with images and they will describe the facilities of a company to their classmates or the places located around the company. The presentation can be seen here
More Lesson Plans
If you want to check more task-based lesson plans, visit my task-based lesson plans page