In this post, you will find all the different types of sentences you can make with the modal could.
We can use the modal “could” to make sentences that refer to the past, present or future
|We could hear voices
|It could be blue
|The storm could get worse
Continue reading so you could learn how to make sentences and questions with could
Table of Contents
Affirmative Sentences with Could
These are some examples of affirmative sentences with could
- I could not help it.
- We could say he has excellent taste.
- Maybe we could get a van
- That could be a reality.
- She could have been a model.
- Worse things could happen.
- I hoped we could go for a walk.
- She could barely breathe.
- I could use that money
- It could be much worse.
- I thought I could control my emotions.
- We could have lunch early.
- This could be the best day of our lives
Negative Sentences with Could
These are some examples of negative sentences with could
- I couldn’t sleep
- I couldn’t believe it.
- I couldn’t break the rules
- I couldn’t finish the fight
- He couldn’t be serious.
- He couldn’t lift that. It’s too heavy.
- She couldn’t finish the marathon
- She couldn’t save any money for the trip
- We couldn’t return the money
- We couldn’t film anything today, it was rainy
Questions with Could
These are some examples of questions with could
- Could you start a fire, honey?
- Could you carry that?
- Could you get them out?
- Could you wait for me here, honey?
- Could that be the house?
- Could other people do this too?
- Could I see you for a minute, please?
- Could you call again later, please?
- Could you give me a ride to the station?
- Could you write it down, please?
- Could I pay by credit card?
- Could you order more food?
Wh-Questions with Could
These are some examples of wh-questions with could
- How could she be so stupid?
- What could she say?
- How could he be so calm about it?
- How could anyone be right 100% of the time?
- How could he be so cruel?
- What could they do?
- How could I refuse?
- How could I expect more?
- How could you say something like that?
Passive Voice with Could
The structure to make passive sentences with could is this
|by the chef
These are examples of the passive voice with could
- The cake could be baked by the chef.
- The book could be read by millions of people.
- The solution could be implemented by the company.
- The game could be enjoyed by the children.
- The presentation could be given by the speaker.
Conversation with Could
This is an example of a conversation with could
|Will’s party is tonight
|It’s a Halloween party
|Oh right. I could go as Wonder Woman
|Yes, we don’t know anybody there except for Will
|What time are you gonna get there?
|Probably around 8
|Could you get there earlier?
|sure, around 7?
|Yes, see you there
More Examples of Questions
I hope that you have found all the sentences with could you were looking for
These are some posts with more examples of questions
- Questions with Would for the ESL Classroom
- Questions with Why: Guide & Examples
- Questions with Should for the ESL Classroom
- Questions with When: Guide & Examples
- Questions with Where: Guide & Examples
- Questions with What: Guide & Examples
- Questions with Who: Grammar Guide and Examples
- 50 Questions with How: Grammar Guide & Examples
- 50 Questions with Going to