Passive Voice Explanation
The passive voice is used to show interest in the person or object that experiences an action rather than the person or object that performs the action.
Passive Voice Examples
- The castle in the amusement park was built last year.
- The road is being repaired.
- A faster computer is being designed by a team of experts
Passive Voice Examples using Different Tenses and Modals
|Tense or Modal||Active voice||Passive Voice|
|Simple Present||Tom writes a letter||A letter is written|
|Simple Past||Tom wrote a letter||A letter was written|
|Present Progressive||Tom is writing a letter||A letter is being written|
|Past Progressive||Tom was reading a letter||A letter was being read|
|Present Perfect||I have seen a ghost||A ghost have been seen|
|Past Perfect||I had seen a ghost||A ghost had been seen|
|Future||I will fix the car||The car will be fixed|
|Would||I would fix the car||The car would be fixed|
|Should||I should do this||This should be done|
|Can||I can do that||That can be done|
|Could||I could cook that||That could be cooked|
|Must||I must make a cake||A cake must be made|
|May||I may fix the PC||The PC may be fixed|
|Might||I might sell my car||My car might be sold|
Passive Voice with Infinitives
The infinitive passive voice is used after modal verbs and other most verbs normally followed by an infinitive.
- You have to be tested by the new doping agency.
- She doesn’t want to be helped.
- John might be promoted next year if he keeps reaching company goals.
- She wants to be invited to the school dance.
- There was no more work to be done
- The city is said to be dangerous.
- The world was believed to be flat.
- These fruits are said to be good for health
- He is believed to be dangerous.
- This plant is said to be a remedy for sinusitis.
- The door must be locked at all times.
- This job cannot be done.
- He is going to be interviewed tomorrow.
- I don’t want to be disturbed.
Passive Voice with Gerunds
Gerunds are used after prepositions and verbs normally followed by a gerund.
- I remember being taught to drive when I was 18
- Most film stars hate being interviewed.
- I don’t like being laughed at
- I don’t like being cheated.
- She enjoys being photographed
- Her baby loves being held
- She enjoy being read to
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go: