In this post, you will find all the examples of passive voices sentences that you need including passive voice examples with modals
The passive voice is used to show interest in the person or object that experiences an action rather than the person or object that performs the action.
- The castle in the amusement park was built last year.
- The road is being repaired.
- A faster computer is being designed by a team of experts
Now, let’s explore all that you need to make sentences with different tenses and the passive voices.
Table of Contents
Passive Voice with Different Tenses and Modals
These are examples of how the passive voice is made using different tenses and modals
|Tense or Modal||Active voice||Passive Voice|
|Simple Present||Tom writes a letter||A letter is written|
|Simple Past||Tom wrote a letter||A letter was written|
|Present Progressive||Tom is writing a letter||A letter is being written|
|Past Progressive||Tom was reading a letter||A letter was being read|
|Present Perfect||I have seen a ghost||A ghost have been seen|
|Past Perfect||I had seen a ghost||A ghost had been seen|
|Future||I will fix the car||The car will be fixed|
|Would||I would fix the car||The car would be fixed|
|Should||I should do this||This should be done|
|Can||I can do that||That can be done|
|Could||I could cook that||That could be cooked|
|Must||I must make a cake||A cake must be made|
|May||I may fix the PC||The PC may be fixed|
|Might||I might sell my car||My car might be sold|
Passive Voice Examples: Simple Present
These are some example of sentences with the simple present and the passive voice
- The dog is walked by Ben.
- Cookies are made here.
- The cat isn’t walked by Ben.
- Sandwiches aren’t made here.
- Is the rabbit walked (by Ben)?
- How are the cookies made?
- The problem is solved.
- The pizza is made by Moby.
Passive Voice Examples: Simple Past
These are some example of sentences with the simple past and the passive voice
- A letter was written by him.
- A song was sung by her.
- Mary wasn’t invited to the party.
- The match wasn’t won by our team.
- You weren’t invited to the party.
- Were the students taught at home?
- Was the article written by Nick?
- Was the window broken by him?
Passive Voice Examples: Present Continuous
These are some example of sentences with the present continuous and the passive voice
- The mail is being delivered by the postman.
- The room is being measured by Harry Potter.
- The team is being congratulated by the coach.
- The rooms are being cleaned by our staff
- The hackers are being arrested at this very moment
- Many articles are being written about the global pandemic
- Lots of children are being held in detention centers
- Lots of old coins are being collected in this branch
Passive Voice Examples: Past Continuous
These are some example of sentences with the past continuous and the passive voice
- I was being followed by some criminals
- I was being scammed by some Indian hackers
- She was being bullied by some people on Facebook
- An email was being written by our supply team.
- People were being arrested during the protest
- All the users were being tracked by our team
- All files were being destroyed when we got here
- My car was being fixed
- The boats were being cleaned
50 Passive Voice Exercises
Complete these passive voice exercises to make sure that you understand this topic eell
These are some example that will help you contrast the active and the passive voice
- Active vs Passive Voice Exercise 001
- Active vs Passive Voice Exercise 002
- Active vs Passive Voice Exercise 003
- Active vs Passive Voice Exercise 004
- Active vs Passive Voice Exercise 005
- Active vs Passive Voice Exercise 006
- Active vs Passive Voice Exercise 007
These are some passive voice exercises and the simple past
- Passive Voice – Simple Past Exercise 01
- Passive Voice – Simple Past Exercise 02
- Passive Voice – Simple Past Exercise 03
- Passive Voice – Simple Past Exercise 04
These are some passive voice with the simple present
- Passive voice – Simple Present Exercise 01
- Passive Voice – Simple Present Exercise 02
- Passive Voice – Simple Present Exercise 03
- Passive Voice – Simple Present Exercise 04
These are some passive voice exercises with the present perfect
These are some test to practice more about the word order and passive voice sentences
- Word Order in the Passive Voice sentences 001
- Word Order in the Passive Voice sentences 002
- Word Order in the Passive Voice sentences 003
- Word Order in the Passive Voice sentences 004
More Posts in English
These are other posts with more examples in English