Likes and Dislikes in English
Teaching how to talk about Likes and Dislikes in English is very important since likes and dislikes is a common topic when you meet new people.
To understand this topics, we have to learn a few things:
- Key verbs to talk about likes and dislikes in English
- Actions verbs to talk about things we like or dislike to do
- How to make affirmative and negative sentences to talk about likes and dislikes.
Vocabulary: Likes and Dislikes in English
There is some vocabulary that you should know so you can be able to talk about likes and dislikes.
Let’s start with the key verbs.
These are the main six verbs to talk about likes and dislikes in English
These are some example of actions verbs that can help us describe the things we like or dislike to do in English.
Grammar to Talk about Likes and Dislikes
Now that you know the key verbs and the action verbs to talk about likes and dislikes, you can start making sentences.
Remember that in English we can make affirmative and negative sentences and also questions.
Examples of Affirmative and Negative Sentences
Wth the key verbs and several actions verbs, you can make affirmative and negative sentences.
|I like eating ice cream||I don’t like eating ice cream|
|You love watching sport||You don’t love watching soccer games|
|She is crazy about sports||She is not crazy about sports|
|He is fond of chocolate||He isn’t fond of chocolate|
|We are huge fans of soccer||We aren’t huge fans of soccer|
|They dislike wasting time||They don’t like wasting time|
Yes or No Questions with Likes and Dislikes
These are some examples of Yes or No questions about Likes and Dislikes in English
- Do you like watching TV?
- Does she like playing soccer?
- Does he love running?
- Do you like soccer?
- Do you like rock music?
Wh-Questions with Likes and Dislikes in English
These are some examples of wh-questions about likes and dislikes in English
- What does he like to do?
- What movies do you like to watch?
- What books do you like to read?
- What sports do you like?
- What music do you like?
Conversation Questions about Likes and Dislikes
These are 20 conversation questions about likes and dislikes in English
- What kind of movies do you like?
- Do you like going to the beach?
- What’s your favorite thing to do?
- Do you love going out?
- What kind of music do you like?
- Do you like to watch TV?
- What type of food do you like to eat? Do you like to watch movies?
- Do you like watching cartoons?
- Do you like watching independent films?
- Do you have a favorite actor or actress?
- Do you like to do exercises?
- What kind of music don’t you like?
- Do you like to play or watch sports?
- What do you like to do on the weekends?
- Do you like to go swimming?
- What kind of pets do you like?
- Do you like to read books? What books do you like to read?
- Do you like running or jogging?
- Do you like playing video games? What’s your favorite video game?
- Do you like computers? what do you like to do on your computer?
Likes, Dislikes and Preferences Lesson Plan
- Teacher creates a bingo to play with the students.
- Students gets a link made up of vocabulary related to Likes, Dislikes and Preference.
- You can create bingo to play on your phone with My Free Bingo Cards
- Students are sent a survey created with Crowd Signal, the survey is about likes, dislikes and preferences.
- Students have to stand up and interview their classmates.
- Teacher and students check the results using pie charts created automatically.
- Students are given a yes or no question in a strip of paper.
- Students have to turn the yes or no question into wh-questions
- Once students have the questions, they make those questions to their classmates
- Students are sent a wordle.
- Using only words included in the wordle, student create as many questions as they can.
- They make those questions to a partner.
Task #4 (Optional)
- Students interview classmates about their likes, dislikes and preferences using a google form.
Task #5 (Optional)
Students make groups of 4 and each one of them have a different category in charge using this photo
- dislike/ don’t like
Task #6 (Optional)
- Students write things that they really like in a note, they don’t share that information with their classmates
- The teacher collects the pieces of paper and they are given to different classmates.
- Classmates have to go around the classroom asking people if they like those things and find the owner of the note.
Task #7 (Optional)
Students listen to a conversation about music likes between Marissa and Brian and and mark if these statements are true (Interchange 1 – Unit 4)
- Bryan likes country music
- Marissa likes Taylor Swift
- Bryan doesn’t like Hip-Hop
- Marissa Likes Hip- Hop
- Bryan likes Green Day
- Marissa also likes Green Day
- Bryan thinks that Green Day is Noisy
- Students create a nine- image collage about their likes and Dislikes
- Students prepare to talk about their likes and dislikes during one minute.
- Once the minute is over. Students talk to another partner.
- Students answer an online quiz to make sure their reading comprehension skills are OK.
Check some of these lessons before you go:
- How to Describe Physical Appearance in English
- How to Talk about Hobbies in English
- How to Greet and Introduce Yourself in English
- How to Talk about Sport in English
Check some of these pronunciation resources before you go:
And finally bookmark these posts as they can help you later