Teaching how to talk about Likes and Dislikes is very important since likes and dislikes is a common topic when you meet new people. These are some great ideas to teach this topic.
Likes and Dislikes Vocabulary
- enjoy , hate , prefer , like , dislike , enjoy
- read , listen , play , talk , dance , speak , run , jump , swim, jog , watch , catch ,throw , jump
Phrases to Talk about Likes and Dislikes
- I like eating ice cream
- I am crazy about sports
- I am fond of chocolate
- I am a huge fan of soccer
- I dislike wasting time
- I don’t like golf at all
- I can’t stand soccer fans
- I detest being late
- Do you like watching TV?
- Does she like playing soccer?
- Does he love running?
- Do you like soccer?
- Do you like rock music?
- What does he like to do?
- What movies do you like to watch?
- What books do you like to read?
- What sports do you like?
- What music do you like?
Likes and Dislikes Lesson Plan
Introduce the topic by using this video
With the vocabulary previously taught , I dictate these sentences to the students.
- I like to read books.
- I always go to church.
- I always watch movies at night.
- I never play soccer at school.
- Sometimes I go swimming in the river.
- I hardly ever go to the gym.
- I am crazy about sports.
- I usually take the bus to school.
- I like to play video games.
- I never study for the exams.
Answer the following questions about your likes, dislikes and preferences.
- What kind of music do you like?
- What are your favorite TV Shows?
- How often do you watch TV?
- How often do you watch movies?
- What Sports do you like?
- How often do you play sports?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite food?
- Do you like fast food or home-made food?
- How often do you do exercises?
You can make copies of this worksheet and use them in your classes
To make students are able to use the key vocabulary and structures, students can:
- create a dialogue with one of your partners about likes, dislikes and preferences.
- create a collage with pictures about what they like and what they don’t like and talk for about a minute or two.
- interview a classmate and then talk about their partner’s likes and dislikes.
To learn more about how to express likes, dislikes and preferences about sports and leisure activities, check this article