Learning how to talk about hobbies is very important because most of our new interactions have something to do with activities that we do for fun.
A hobby is a regular activity done for enjoyment, typically during one’s leisure time, not professionally and not for pay
There are many types of hobbies some hobbies are more popular than others.
Regardless of what you like, there is fun and hobbies for everyone.
Table of Contents
List of Hobbies in English
This is a list of the most common hobbies in English. The examples have key important words to express whether you like them or not.
|I love Baking
|She loves Bowling
|I love celebrating after work
|Chatting with friends
|I enjoy chatting with friends
|I always check Facebook at Nights
|I never check my Instagram
|I am crazy about collecting stamps
|You love computer programming
|You really enjoy Cooking
|You always go Cycling in the afternoons
|She really likes to dance
|Discovering new music
|I love discovering new music
|They hate doing yoga
|We love exrcising
|I like spending time with my Family
|We always play fantasy sports
|My dad usually goe fishing
|My mother loves gardening
|My kids go swimming all the time
|I am in love with going camping
|Going on dates
|We are going on a date
|Going out for drinks
|Let’s go out for some drinks
|Going to church
|We love going to church
|Going to parties
|Do you like going to parties?
|Going to the beach
|Do you enjoy going to the beach
|Going to the gym
|We love going to the gym
|Going to the movies
|My girlfriend loves going to the movies
|Going to the park
|My kids love going to the park
|Going to the pool
|I am excited about going to the pool
|She doesn’t really like hiking
|I love horseback riding
|We hate hunting
|They love learning languages
|Listening to Music
|Listening to Music
|I love music so much
|Paintball is super entertaining
|She dislikes painting
|Play board games
|Playing board games is exciting
|play the piano
|I like playing the piano
|Playing with my kids is awesome
|Playing cards is fun
|Playing chess is hard but I love it
|Playing Free Fire
|Playing Free Fire is not my thing
|playing games is my thing
|Playing soccer is good for your health
|Posting memes is fun
|Reading is one of my hobbies
|Rock music ismy favorite type of music
|Running is,my favorite exercise
|Running marathons is my favorite past time
|I enjoy shopping with my girls
|Sleeping is something I love to do
|Socializing is not my strength
|surfing is my favorite hobbie
|Taking vacations is my dream
|Travelling is the best thing in the world
|Video games keep me busy
|Visiting museums is not my thing
|Volleyball is my favorite sport
|Walking in the mountain is fascinating
|I am not a big fan of watching TV
|We watch movies on Netflix
|I am a fan of watching MMA
|She spends time working on her projects
|I always write on my journal
Talking about Hobbies in English
To talk about Hobbies in English, you can use several verbs. We can use verbs such as:
Check the verbs and the example
|I like to play soccer
|I love running and doing exercises
|I enjoy cooking for my family
|I dislike doing the dishes
|She hates doing the laundry
Hobbies in English: Questions and Answers
These are some common questions that people make about hobbies in English
- What’s your favorite hobby?
- My favorite hobby is running
- Do you have any hobbies?
- Yes, I love camping
- What do you do in your free time?
- I meet friends
- Do you like to play soccer?
- I like soccer but I don’t play that often
- Do you enjoy watching movies?
- I am a huge fan of movies
- What do you like doing in the evenings?
- I usually stay home
- Would you like to come and play soccer with us?
- What are your hobbies/interests?
- My interest is learning more about internet marketing
- What activities do you do to relax?
- I read books and listen to music
- What are you into?
- I am into Sports
Like doing vs like to do
We use like + gerund (ing form) to talk about general likes:
- I love running
- I like fishing.
- She loves cooking
We use like + infinitive to talk about more specific likes:
- I love running every morning after 7.
- I like to go fishing at the weekend.
- She loves cooking for the family on Fridays.
Conversation about Hobbies
This is a conversation about hobbies. Watch the video to familiarize with the pronunciation of key vocabulary.
Conversation Questions about Hobbies
These are some conversation questions about hobbies:
- What’s your hobby?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What do you do for fun?
- Can you make money while doing something you really like?
- How much time do you spend doing things you love?
- Do you have any dangerous hobby?
- Do you have any expensive hobby?
- Are there any hobbies you would like to try?
- What hobbies are popular with children, but not with adults?
- How much time do you spend on your hobbies? How much time would be too much?
- Do you like practicing sports, playing a musical instrument, dancing, or singing?
- Do you take or have you taken lessons in anything?
My Hobbies in English
My name is James, I am going to tell you about my hobbies, I like to stay home so some of my hobbies are hobbies that you can do indoors.
I like to watch movies and I am a hugef fan of drama movies, I also like listening and discovering new music because it is kinda boring to listen to the same songs all the time.
I like to do exercises, some people think exercising is like obligation, something that you have to do but when you do exercises regularly, you learn to love running jogging and lifting weights.
Check some of these lessons before you go:
- How to Describe Physical Appearance in English
- How to Talk about Hobbies in English
- How to Greet and Introduce Yourself in English
- How to Talk about Sport in English
Check some of these pronunciation resources before you go:
And finally bookmark these posts as they can help you later