This post includes a great variety of conversation topics which are perfect for getting some interesting conversations started!
You can use these conversation starters as part of your communication classes and get to know you games and activities
Make sure students actively listen to each other responses so maybe they can introduce their new friends to other class members
Table of Contents
Conversation Starters: Books
These are some conversation questions about beauty
- How many books have you read?
- What kind of books have you read?
- What application have you used to read books?
- Have you ever listened to an audio book?
- What was the first book you bought?
- Have you read a book twice?
- What is the longest book you’ve ever read?
- Has a book ever changed your life? If so, how?
- Can books change the lives of people who read them?
- Do you think that the internet will eventually make books obsolete?
Conversation Starters: Pets
Some people love pets and they treat them as family so why not talking about them to break the ice.
- Do you have a dog? If so, what’s your dog’s name?
- How much does it cost to keep your pet?
- Are you a cat person or a dog person?
- What is the best pet to own?
- What is the strangest pet you have ever seen?
- What can people learn from animals?
- What was your first pet?
- What type of animal makes the best pet?
- What do you think about people who have lots and lots of pets?
- What have your pets taught you?
Conversation Starters: Music, Movies, TV and Sports
I am huge fan of music, movies, TV and sports and I bet that a lot of people love those hobbies too.
- What sports do you like to play or watch?
- If you had intro music, what song would it be? Why?
- What’s your favorite song?
- What’s one of your favorite music videos?
- When was the last time you went to a movie theater?
- Which do you prefer? Books or movies?
- What cartoons did you watch as a child?
- What are some traits that your favorite cartoon character has?
- What’s the best sitcom past or present?
- Who is your favorite movie or TV Show characters?
Conversation Starters: Technology and Social Media
I love technology and social media. We use them for different purposes
- What is your favorite piece of technology that you own?
- How do you feel if you accidentally leave your phone at home?
- Do you text more or call more? Why?
- How many apps do you have on your phone?
- What are the three best apps on your phone?
- What is the most impactful piece of technology in our lives?
- What kinds of technology are you most excited about?
- What do you prefer the most? chatting or video calling?
- How has technology affected the way that we now communicate?
- Do you own a computer? If so, how often do you use it and for what purposes?
Conversation Starters: Celebrities
These are some questions about the world of the Rich and the Famous
- Would you like to make a living as paparazzi?
- Do you watch gossip TV programs ?
- What celebrities do you follow on social media?
- Who is your favorite actor/ actress? Can you name some of his/ her movies?
- Have you ever been to a concert?
- Do you think celebrities like being celebrities?
- If you were a celebrity, would you date fans?
- How would your life change if you became famous?
- If you could spend one whole day with a famous person, who would you spend the day with?
- Have you ever been to a music festival?
Conversation Starters: Other Questions
These are some general questions
- How is your community or city like?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What did you do last weekend?
- What do you think of tattoos?
- What three words best describe you?
- Who is your oldest friend? Where did you meet him or her?
- What foods do you absolutely hate?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What are your goals for the next two years?
- What are you best at?
Other ESL Conversation Questions
I hope that you have found all the conversation starters for students you were looking for
These are some conversation questions that might interest you:
- 100 Conversation Questions about Careers and Jobs
- 30 Great Mass Media Conversation Questions
- 30 Nature Conversation Questions
- 70 Conversation Questions about Family
- 50 Conversation Questions about Entertainment
- 70 School Conversation Questions
- 20 Hotel Conversation Questions
- 30 Science and Technology Questions
- Holidays Conversation Questions