Most Common Phrasal Verbs
In English, a phrasal verb is a phrase such as turn down or ran into which combines two or three words from different grammatical categories: a verb and a particle and/or a preposition together form a single semantic unit.
This semantic unit cannot be understood based upon the meanings of the individual parts, but must be taken as a whole.
- She has always looked down on me.
- Fighting broke out among a group of 40 men.
- I’ll see to the animals.
- Don’t put me off, I’m trying to concentrate.
- The report spelled out the need for more staff.
Most Common Phrasal Verbs
This is a list of the most common phrasal verbs in English
|Break Down||Stop functioning||My car broke down|
|Bring up||Mention a topic||She brought up that matter again|
|Back down||withdraw a position||We never back down|
|Beat up||punch and kick||I got beat up|
|Blow up||Explode||They tried to blow up the station|
|Bump into||Meet by accident||I bump into my wife at the park|
|Call off||Cancel||They call off that meeting|
|Come across||find by chance||I was cleaning and I came across my journal|
|Clean out||Clean||I was cleaning out the closet|
|Carry on||Continue||Sorry , carry on talking!|
|Drop out||Leave school||They dropped out of college|
|Drop by||Visit||We just dropped by her house|
|Find out||discovered||I found out that she was pregnant|
|Get out||Leave||You need to get out of here|
|Give away||Give something for free||They are giving away tickets|
|End up||The end result||I ended up in another school|
|Get by||survive||I have some money to get by|
|Get over||get well||Dave has got over the flu|
|Get along||being good friends||We get along really well|
|Get away||Escape||I got away with murder|
|Get rid of||Eliminate||I need to get rid of her|
|Go over||Review||I went over the material|
|Grow up||Get older||You are 21, Grow up|
|Give up||Stop trying||They just gave up|
|Go out||Have a date||Do you want to go out with me?|
|Hang out||Spend time||I am hanging out with my friends|
|Hurry up||Do something fast||We are late, hurry up|
|Make out||Kiss||They were making out outside the office|
|Made up||Invent a story||She made that up to save herself|
|Mess up||to spoil||You are messing things up|
|Show up||Arrive||Alex didn’t show up|
|Pass out||Lose consciousness||She passed out in front of me|
|Piss off||to be angry||I am really pissed off|
|Put off||Postpone||We put off the meetin until Friday|
|Put up with||let happen||I won’t put up with my sisters|
|Put on||Get dressed||I put on a sweater|
|Put out||Extinguish||The firefighters put out the fire|
|Run into||Meet||I ran into my teacher last week|
|Run out||to use all of it||We are running out of gas|
|Take off||Remove clothing||I took off my jacket|
|Turn Down||Lower volume||Please turn it down|
|Turn down||Reject||He was turned down twice|
|Work out||Exercise||I am working out right now|
|Watch out||Be aware||You better watch out|
|Work out||find a solution||We will work something out|
|Wake up||Finish sleeping||I woke up at 9|
Questions with the Most Common Phrasal Verbs
These are some common questions that you can make using phrasal verbs
Phrasal Verbs Conversation Questions #1
- Has your car ever broken down?
- Have you ever turned down a job offer?
- Do you like working out?
- What time do you usually wake up?
- What pisses you off?
- Do you get along with your friends?
- Do you always get away with what you want?
- Have you ever made up a story to save yourself from something?
- Who do you like to hang out with?
- Do you talk your friends into doing bad things?
Phrasal Verbs Conversation Questions #2
- How often do you get together with your high school friends?
- Do you know anyone who dropped out of high school or university?
- How do you help out your friends and family?
- What time do you usually get up?
- Where do you like to eat out?
- What freaks you out?
- Have you ever missed out on a good opportunity?
- What bad habits would you like to give up?
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go: