Sports and Leisure Activities
List of sports
List of Leisure Activities
|Go to the movies||Check Facebook|
|Watch movies||Check the news|
|Watch Soap Operas||Play video games|
|Spend time with family||Play an instrument|
|Play with your children||Listen to music|
|Go out with your children||Read|
|Go dancing||Go to the park|
|Have dinner at a restaurant||Go to concerts|
|Play a sport||Go shopping|
|Go out for a coffee||Cook|
|Watch Youtube videos||Exercise|
|Surf the web||Work out|
|Watch music videos||Go to the gym|
Structures to Talk about Sports and Leisure Activities
- I like playing video games
- I like to play sports
- I love playing basketball
- I love to do exercises
- I enjoy reading books
- I prefer reading magazines
- I dislike going to the gym
- I hate working out
- I don’t like to play sports
Sport and Leisure Activities Questions
- Do youever play soccer?
- What’s your favoite sport?
- Do you like going swimming?
- Do you usually go runnig in the morning?
- Do you like watching Netflix Shows?
- What do you want to do after school?
- What board games do you want to play?
- How about going to the gym after classes?
- Do you usually go to the beach on the weekends?
- Do you like playing chess with highschool friends?
Sport and Leisure Activities Dialogues
|W: Did you watch the Boston marathon?|
|M: Yes, I went to Boston to see it.|
|W: You were in Boston for the marathon?|
|M: That’s right. My friend is a runner, so I went there to watch her run. We traveled to Boston together.|
|W: You are so lucky! Which part of the marathon did you see?|
|M: I watched the entire race, from start to finish.|
|W: I don’t know how the runners can finish the whole race! It’s so long and difficult! I could never do something like that.|
|M: I tried to run a marathon once. It was really difficult. I just can’t run like my friend can.|
|W: Yes, running a marathon is not an easy thing to do. By the way, how did your friend do in the race?|
|M: She did quite well! She was not the fastest runner, but she was in the top 50.|
Lesson Ideas: Sports and Leisure Activities
There are severla ways to introduce this topic
- You can create a wordle, one for leisure activities and one for sports. You can print both wordles and ask students if they have any questions about the vocabulary contained in them. If students have mobile phone, you can send both pictures to their mobile devices. Remember to check on pronunciation
- You can create a Flashcard Quizlet Set so they practice spelling and pronunciation. This can be easily implemented if students had mobile phones.
- To introduce the structures, make sure that you create some dialogues and ask students to highlight the key vocabulary and structures
You can download this worksheet and print some of these exercises for your students
You can also try any of these activities
- Outdoor Games and Activities (Islcollective.com)
- Play,Go and Do(Islcollective.com)
These are some listening activities:
- Pelé (Dreamreader.net)
- Ancient Olympic Games(Dreamreader.net)
- Jackie Robinson (Dreamreader.net)
- Sports & Social Identity (Dreamreader.net)
- Rugby League(Dreamreader.net)
- What’s your favorite sport?(Share.america.gov)
- Going to a soccer game(Share.america.gov)
- You can ask students to create a collage of their favorite sports and holidays and then ask them to talk about them for a minute or two