Linking Words are words or phrases that show the relationship between paragraphs or sections of a text or speech.
Transitions provide greater cohesion by making it more explicit or signaling how ideas relate to one another.
List of Linking Words
This is a list of linking words divided by category:
Linking Words to Add:
|too||equally important |
- Furthermore,thousands of people suffer detention in overcrowded prisons without charge or trial.
- It is equally important to listen to what others think of what we do, so we can do it better.
- Moreover he is considered to be a founder of the professional national dramatic art
- After nine months of pregnancy, the time has finally arrived
Linking Words to Compare:
|on the other hand||up against|
|on the contrary||although|
- However, the tropical lowlands is where illegal coca growing and cocaine refining is concentrated.
- Meanwhile, the population remains very concerned about the fate of those in prison.
- On the contrary,those weapons endanger peace and stability.
- The region is relatively well off by comparison with the rest of the developing world.
- These figures are relatively low, compared to Africa or Southeast Asia.
- On the other hand, most people tend to trust their experience
- In contrast, nobody has dared to contest the truths they contain.
Linking Words to Prove:
|for the same reason||in fact|
|evidently||in any case|
|furthermore||that is |
- Please enter a valid email address since you will be sent an email including a link to activate your account.
- Evidently previous rights are not taken into account.
- Indeed, this is an historic moment you are presiding over
- In fact, if left unchecked bacteria levels can double in number every 20 minutes.
Connectors to Show Sequence:
|following this||now |
|at this point||after|
- Afterward,Ulises told us that he thought it was a miracle.
- Consequently, health information is included in this definition.
- Concurrently, there was also an incursion by troops into their territory.
Linkers to Give an Example:
|For example||For instance|
|In this case||In another case|
|On this ocassion||in this situation|
|take the case of||to demonstrate|
|to illustrate||as a illustration|
- Take the case of domestic violence, for example.
- To illustrate this concept, it is relevant to invoke the classification of crimes by order of conduct.
Linking Words To Summarize or Conclude:
| as I have said|| therefore|
| hence|| accordingly|
| as I have shown|| thus|
| to conclude|| consequently|
| summing up|| on the whole|
| in brief|| in conclusion|
- Hence the crucial role of translation was emphasized.
Linking Words To Show Exception:
|However||Once in a while|
|In Spite of|
- Nevertheless, significant progress has already been made in a number of fields.
Linking Words To Show Time:
immediately, thereafter, soon, after a few hours, finally, then, later, previously, formerly, first (second, etc.), next, and then
- Formerly,this was possible only through a judicial procedure.
Linking Words To Repeat:
| in brief|| as I have said|
| as has been noted|| as I have noted|
- In brief,a modern city with a high quality of life.
- As has been noted before, the passage of legislation is one thing and its application and enforcement is another.
Linking Words To Emphasize:
definitely, extremely, obviously, in fact, indeed, in any case, absolutely, positively, naturally, surprisingly, always, forever, perennially, eternally, never, emphatically, unquestionably, without a doubt, certainly, undeniably, without reservation.
- Indeed, this is an historic moment you are presiding over.
- In fact,most of the islands cannot rely on their domestic market.
- This is unquestionably a very positive result and even better than expected
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
- Teaching English in Costa Rica
- Aprende Inglés – EnglishPost.org
Check these pages and sites before you go: