Linking Words are words or phrases that show the relationship between paragraphs or sections of a text or speech.
Transitions provide greater cohesion by making it more explicit or signaling how ideas relate to one another.
List of Linking Words
Linking Words to Add:
- Furthermore,thousands of people suffer detention in overcrowded prisons without charge or trial.
- It is equally important to listen to what others think of what we do, so we can do it better.
- Moreover he is considered to be a founder of the professional national dramatic art
- After nine months of pregnancy, the time has finally arrived
Linking Words to Compare:
|on the other hand||up against|
|on the contrary||although|
- However, the tropical lowlands is where illegal coca growing and cocaine refining is concentrated.
- Meanwhile, the population remains very concerned about the fate of those in prison.
- On the contrary,those weapons endanger peace and stability.
- The region is relatively well off by comparison with the rest of the developing world.
- These figures are relatively low, compared to Africa or Southeast Asia.
- On the other hand, most people tend to trust their experience
- In contrast, nobody has dared to contest the truths they contain.
Linking Words to Prove:
|for the same reason||in fact|
|evidently||in any case|
- Please enter a valid email address since you will be sent an email including a link to activate your account.
- Evidently previous rights are not taken into account.
- Indeed, this is an historic moment you are presiding over
- In fact, if left unchecked bacteria levels can double in number every 20 minutes.
Connectors to Show Sequence:
|at this point||after|
- Afterward,Ulises told us that he thought it was a miracle.
- Consequently, health information is included in this definition.
- Concurrently, there was also an incursion by troops into their territory.
Linkers to Give an Example:
|For example||For instance|
|In this case||In another case|
|On this ocassion||in this situation|
|take the case of||to demonstrate|
|to illustrate||as a illustration|
- Take the case of domestic violence, for example.
- To illustrate this concept, it is relevant to invoke the classification of crimes by order of conduct.
To Summarize or Conclude:
in brief, on the whole, summing up, to conclude, in conclusion, as I have shown, as I have said, hence, therefore, accordingly, thus, as a result, consequently
- Hencethe crucial role of translation was emphasized.
To Show Exception:
yet, still, however, nevertheless, in spite of, despite, of course, once in a while, sometimes
- Nevertheless,significant progress has already been made in a number of fields.
To Show Time:
immediately, thereafter, soon, after a few hours, finally, then, later, previously, formerly, first (second, etc.), next, and then
- Formerly,this was possible only through a judicial procedure.
in brief, as I have said, as I have noted, as has been noted
- In brief,a modern city with a high quality of life.
- As has been noted before, the passage of legislation is one thing and its application and enforcement is another.
definitely, extremely, obviously, in fact, indeed, in any case, absolutely, positively, naturally, surprisingly, always, forever, perennially, eternally, never, emphatically, unquestionably, without a doubt, certainly, undeniably, without reservation.
- Indeed, this is an historic moment you are presiding over.
- In fact,most of the islands cannot rely on their domestic market.
- This is unquestionablya very positive result and even better than expected