Linking Words are words or phrases that show the relationship between paragraphs or sections of a text or speech.Tra nsitions provide greater cohesion by making it more explicit or signaling how ideas relate to one another.
Linking Words Classification
and, again, and then, besides, equally important, finally, further, furthermore, nor, too, next, lastly, what’s more, moreover, in addition, first (second, etc.)
- Furthermore, thousands of people suffer detention in overcrowded prisons without charge or trial.
- It is equally important to listen to what others think of what we do, so we can do it better.
whereas, but, yet, on the other hand, however, nevertheless, on the contrary, by comparison, where, compared to, up against, balanced against, vis a vis, but, although, conversely, meanwhile, after all, in contrast, although this may be true
- However, the tropical lowlands is where illegal coca growing and cocaine refining is concentrated.
- Meanwhile, the population remains very concerned about the fate of those in prison.
because, for, since, for the same reason, obviously, evidently, furthermore, moreover, besides, indeed, in fact, in addition, in any case, that is
- Please enter a valid email address since you will be sent an email including a link to activate your account.
To Show Sequence:
first, second, third, and so forth. A, B, C, and so forth. next, then, following this, at this time, now, at this point, after, afterward, subsequently, finally, consequently, previously, before this, simultaneously, concurrently, thus, therefore, hence, next, and then, soon
To Give an Example:
for example, for instance, in this case, in another case, on this occasion, in this situation, take the case of, to demonstrate, to illustrate, as an illustration, to illustrate
- Take the case of domestic violence, for example.
To Summarize or Conclude:
in brief, on the whole, summing up, to conclude, in conclusion, as I have shown, as I have said, hence, therefore, accordingly, thus, as a result, consequently
- Hence the crucial role of translation was emphasized.
To Show Exception:
yet, still, however, nevertheless, in spite of, despite, of course, once in a while, sometimes
- Nevertheless, significant progress has already been made in a number of fields.
To Show Time:
immediately, thereafter, soon, after a few hours, finally, then, later, previously, formerly, first (second, etc.), next, and then
- Formerly, this was possible only through a judicial procedure.
in brief, as I have said, as I have noted, as has been noted
- In brief, a modern city with a high quality of life.
- As has been noted before, the passage of legislation is one thing and its application and enforcement is another.
definitely, extremely, obviously, in fact, indeed, in any case, absolutely, positively, naturally, surprisingly, always, forever, perennially, eternally, never, emphatically, unquestionably, without a doubt, certainly, undeniably, without reservation.
- Indeed, this is an historic moment you are presiding over.
- In fact, most of the islands cannot rely on their domestic market.
- This is unquestionably a very positive result and even better than expected
Linking Words Exercises