How to Describe Physical Appearance
Vocabulary to Describe Physical Appearance
|Tall||He is quite tall|
|Short||He is very short|
|Skinny||She is skinny|
|Thin||He is slim|
|Fat||She is fat|
|Overweight||He is overweight|
|Slim||My brother is slim|
|Blonde||She is blonde|
|Brown hair||She has brown hair|
|Red hair||He has red hair|
|Black hair||Both of them have black hair|
|Grey hair||She has grey hair|
|Grey eyes||She has grey eyes|
|Green eyes||My sons have green eyes|
|Blue eyes||I have blue eyes|
|Brown eyes||He has brown eyes|
|Dark eyes||I have dark eyes|
Type of Hair
|Long hair||She has long hair|
|Short hair||He has short hair|
|Wavy hair||She has wavy hair|
|Curly hair||Her hair is curly|
|Straight hair||She has straight hair|
Grammar to Describe Physical Appearance
The Verb to Be
Examples of affirmative and negative sentences with the verb to be
|I am handsome||I am not that handosme|
|He is a very good- looking guy||He isn’t good-looking at all|
|She is tall||She is tall|
|We are in shape||We aren’t in shape|
|They are skinny||They aren’t skinny|
Examples of questions with the verb to be
|Are you in shape?||yes, I am|
|Is she tall?||Yes, she is|
|is he beautiful?||Yes, he is|
|Are they skinny?||Yes, they are|
|Is she tall?||Yes, she is|
Verb to Have
|I have blue eyes||I don’t have blue eyes|
|She has long hair||She doesn’t have long hair|
|He has black hair||He doesn’t have black hair|
|It has black fur||It doesn’t have black fur|
|We have green eyes||We don’t have green eyes|
|They have short hair||They don’t have short hair|
|You have brown eyes||You don’t have brown eyes|
Examples of Question with the verb to have
- Do you have green eyes?
- Does she have blue eyes?
- Does he have short hair?
- Do they have green eyes?
- Do we have black hair?
- Do you have short hair?
Dialogue about Physical Appearance
Lesson Plan – Describe Physical Appearance
- Provide a sheet with the vocabulary if that’s possible so you spend more time teaching and your students learning .
- Now that they have the vocabulary, take your time and teach them how to pronounce some of these words.
- Show images and start describing the physical appearance of the people in the slides, pictures or flashcards.
- You can also get a good-quality video that describes people’s appearance
Speaking or Writing
Activities that most teachers do are the following:
- Students describe themselves.
- Students describe their classmates.
- Students describe people in pictures, flashcards or slides.
To test the listening skills of your students, you can consider some of these listening tasks:
You can download this worksheet and make copies for your students so they can complete task that ensure the successful repetition of the new vocabulary
You can also have a look at this text since they have units about the topic:
- Interchange #1 – Unit 9- What Does She Look Like?
If you want students to produce, create a Powerpoint Presentation and add pictures of celebrities such as famous musicians, singers and other artists. Try to include celebrities that they like so they enjoy the task even more. Take the following considerations:
- Include good-quality pictures.
- Include one picture per slide
- make sure the celebrities have different traits.
Ask the students to describe the people in the slides, make sure they give at least three characteristics so they use most of the vocabulary you taught.
- Spend some time dealing with pronunciation so students don’t make too many mistakes during practice time.
- Make sure students don’t start using the new vocabulary to call their classmates. Sometimes students use words like fat and obese to offend a classmate.