How to Describe Physical Appearance
Vocabulary to Describe Physical Appearance
|Tall||He is quite tall|
|Short||He is very short|
|Skinny||She is skinny|
|Thin||He is slim|
|Fat||She is fat|
|Overweight||He is overweight|
|Slim||My brother is slim|
|Blonde||She is blonde|
|Brown hair||She has brown hair|
|Red hair||He has red hair|
|Black hair||Both of them have black hair|
|Grey hair||She has grey hair|
|Grey eyes||She has grey eyes|
|Green eyes||My sons have green eyes|
|Blue eyes||I have blue eyes|
|Brown eyes||He has brown eyes|
|Dark eyes||I have dark eyes|
Type of Hair
|Long hair||She has long hair|
|Short hair||He has short hair|
|Wavy hair||She has wavy hair|
|Curly hair||Her hair is curly|
|Straight hair||She has straight hair|
Grammar to Describe Physical Appearance
The Verb to Be
Examples of affirmative and negative sentences with the verb to be
|I am handsome||I am not that handosme|
|He is a very good- looking guy||He isn’t good-looking at all|
|She is tall||She is tall|
|We are in shape||We aren’t in shape|
|They are skinny||They aren’t skinny|
Examples of questions with the verb to be
|Are you in shape?||yes, I am|
|Is she tall?||Yes, she is|
|is he beautiful?||Yes, he is|
|Are they skinny?||Yes, they are|
|Is she tall?||Yes, she is|
Verb to Have
|I have blue eyes||I don’t have blue eyes|
|She has long hair||She doesn’t have long hair|
|He has black hair||He doesn’t have black hair|
|It has black fur||It doesn’t have black fur|
|We have green eyes||We don’t have green eyes|
|They have short hair||They don’t have short hair|
|You have brown eyes||You don’t have brown eyes|
Examples of Question with the verb to have
- Do you have green eyes?
- Does she have blue eyes?
- Does he have short hair?
- Do they have green eyes?
- Do we have black hair?
- Do you have short hair?
Dialogue about Physical Appearance
- Maria: Look who is over there?
- John: Who?
- Maria: It is Jessica from highschool
- John: What does she look like? I don’t remember her
- Maria: It is the one with long wavy hear.
- John: She looks beautiful
- Maria: Let’s go to say hi to her
- John: Of course
Lesson Plan – Describe Physical Appearance
- Teacher plays You are Beautiful by Ed Sheeran
- Studens are given pieces of paper with the lyrics.
- They have to identify what students has the first part of the lyrics, the second part of the lyris until they find the last part.
These are several pre-task activities, choose the one that you consider appropiate for the level of your students and time constraints.
- Teacher reviews the vocabulary necessary to describe physical appearance using a Quizlet set.
- Students open the quizlet set andc check the spelling and pronunciation of words.
- Students quiz their classmates about the vocabulary in it.
- Students are given three sentences with scrambled words.
- Students have to unscramble the words to make a sentence
- Student turn the sentence into a question.
- She has curly hair = Does she have curly hair?
- She is beautiful = Is she beautiful?
- Students answer a survey about personal appearance with questions like this
- do you have black hair?
- Once they have the answers, they report their answers by saying:
- she has black hair / she doesn’t have black hair
- Students make groups.
- They are given a sheet with ten sentences to one group member
- That member read the sentence aloud
- Group members indicate if the sentence is true or false for them
- Students who indicate that the sentence isn’t true for them make a sentence that represents them better.
To test the listening skills of your students, you can consider some of these listening tasks:
If you want students to produce, create a Powerpoint Presentation and add pictures of celebrities such as famous musicians, singers and other artists. Try to include celebrities that they like so they enjoy the task even more. Take the following considerations:
- Include good-quality pictures.
- Include one picture per slide
- make sure the celebrities have different traits.
Ask the students to describe the people in the slides, make sure they give at least three characteristics so they use most of the vocabulary you taught.
- Students answer a short quiz about grammar related to physical appearance
Worksheet to Describe Physical Appearance
You can download this worksheet and make copies for your students so they can complete task that ensure the successful repetition of the new vocabulary
- Spend some time dealing with pronunciation so students don’t make too many mistakes during practice time.
- Make sure students don’t start using the new vocabulary to call their classmates names. Sometimes students use words like fat and obese to offend a classmate.