A debate is a discussion in which participants articulate, justify, and clarify their positions on an issue or refute statements made by the opposing side.
Select the topic
The topic for a debate evolves from what you are teaching. Should Marijuana be legalized?
Take a stand
Who’s pro and who’s con? Every debate has two sides, the affirmative side and the negative side. The teacher can divide the class into pros and cons, or students may choose their own stance
Let the research begin
Allow students do the research. Fact gathering should support the student’s point of view.
Select the moderator
The moderator directs the debate and may be the teacher or a student. The moderator formally introduces the debate topic and recognizes students to speak alternating between pro and con.
Ensuring equal participation
Students should not speak until all students have had an opportunity to voice their opinion.
Opening Statement by Team A and Team B
Team A Speaker 1 – 3-minute limit
Team B Speaker 1 – 3-minute limit
Team A Speaker 2 – 3-minute limit
Team B Speaker 2 – 3-minute limit
Team A Speaker 3– 3-minute limit
Team B Speaker 3 – 3-minute limit
Team A Speaker 4– 3-minute limit
Team B Speaker 4 – 3-minute limit
Team A Speaker 5– 3-minute limit
Team B Speaker 5 – 3-minute limit
A Rebuttal — 5 minute limit
B Rebuttal — 5 minute limit
Closing Statement by Team A and Team B
- Video Games are a waste of time.
- Countries need to legalize medical marihuana.
- Counties need to legalize recreational marihuana.
- Smartphones have made our lives easier.
- Animal shouldn’t be used for medical research.
- Marriage is outdated.
- Military service must be obligatory.
- Countries should have curfews after midnight
- Torture can be considered depending on certain circumstances
- Our country should be banned
- Schools should ban religion classes
- Guns should be banned
- Death penalty must be implemented to reduce crime
- Alcohol should be illegal.
- Gay marriage is wrong
- The Theory of Evolution is true
- Sex education should be taught in schools
- Teachers should be allowed to carry guns
- Software piracy is not really a crime
- Climate change is a fact