How to Ask for and Give Directions in English
Learn how to ask for and give directions in English with this helpful guide
How to Ask for Directions in English
These are some common expressions to ask for directions in English
- How do I get to the police station
- What’s the best way to get to the supermarket?
- Where is the church?
- Could you tell me where the shoe store is?
- Do you know where the post office is?
- Where can I find the nearest bakery?
- Is there a shop around here?
How to Give Directions in English
These are some common vocabulary to give directions in English
|Go straight on||Turn back|
|It is this way||It is that way|
|Go under the bridge||Go over the bridge|
|Go back||Turn left|
|Turn Right||Go along|
|Cross||Take the first road on the right|
|Opposite||Take the second road on the left|
|At the end||Behind|
|In front of||Just around the corner|
Giving Directions in English: Examples
- The bank is on the main street.
- The hospital is around the corner.
- Go North for two blocks.
- The Supermarket is on the main avenue.
- Walk straight for two miles.
- Drive for three kilometers
- The school is between the park and the bank
- Cross the street
- Get to the supermarket
- The hotel is in front of the schoo
Examples of Giving Directions in English
A.Go straight on. Then take the first left on to Green Street. Walk past the library and it’s the building next to the library on the left.
B.Go straight on. Go past the traffic lights. You will see a shop on the right. Go past that and it’s on the right next to the shop.
C.Go straight on. Go past the traffic lights and go straight on until you get to the roundabout. At the roundabout turn left. Go past the theatre. It’s the building next to the theatre, opposite the hospital.
How to Ask and Give Directions in English
- Students play a bingo in their smartphones with the vocabulary of the previous lesson and the current lesson (M-Learning)
- Teacher starts the class by introducing the vocabulary about the lesson using this video and writing down the vocabulary that they find useful
- Students are given two dialogues so they can listen and fill in the blanks. (30 Mins) then students practice a dialogue with a partner.
- Students are given a short map and they have to listen for four directions and identify the place where people would get following such directions then they have to give other directions using the same map (30 minutes)
- Students are given an unscrambled conversation and they have to arrange the conversations, once they have finished arranging the conversation, they have to practice the conversation with a partner.
- Students make a conversation about giving directions in Liberia, they have to record the conversation and then they have to make two questions to their partners. ( 15 Minutes)
- Students are sent two links (link#1 and Link #2)they have to fill in the blanks faster listening to the recording (M-Learning)
- Resource for pre-task activity #1
- Resource for pre-task activity # 2A
- Resource for pre-task activity # 2B
- Resource for pre-task activity #3
- Resource for pre-task activity #4
- Resource for the Post- Task
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go:
- English Lessons on EnglishPost.Org
- English Grammar Lessons on Englishpost.org
- ESL Conversation Questions