Learning how to ask and give direction in English is quite helpful when we or somebody is a little lost, when you are in a new place, or you need to visit a place for the very first time.
In this guide you are going to learn about:
- How to Give Directions in the City
- How to Give Directions inside a building
To manage this topic well, you need to learn how give and ask for directions in English.
To learn how to ask for and give directions in English, you need to be familiar with:
- Prepositions of place
- Simple Present
Let’s start talking about how to ask for directions in English
#1 How to Ask for Directions in English
These are some common expressions to ask for directions in English
- How do I get to the police station?
- What’s the best way to get to the supermarket?
- Where is the church?
- Could you tell me where the shoe store is?
- Do you know where the post office is?
- Where can I find the nearest bakery?
- Is there a shop around here?
You can also ask for directions without making a question, a phrase commonly used is:
- I am looking for the supermarket
- I am looking for the pharmacy
Now let’s check some of the useful vocabulary when giving directions in English.
#2 How to Give Directions in English
This is a list of common phrases to give directions in English
|Go straight on||Turn back|
|It is this way||It is that way|
|Go under the bridge||Go over the bridge|
|Go back||Turn left|
|Turn Right||Go along|
|Cross||Take the first road on the right|
|Opposite||Take the second road on the left|
|At the end||Behind|
|In front of||Just around the corner|
You can also some of these phrases when giving directions in English.
- The easiest way is to…
- The quickest way is to…
- The best way is to…
These are some examples of sentences used when giving directions in English
- The bank is on the main street.
- The hospital is around the corner.
- Go North for two blocks.
- The Supermarket is on the main avenue.
- Walk straight for two miles.
- Drive for three kilometres
- The school is between the park and the bank
- Cross the street
- Get to the supermarket
- The hotel is in front of the school
- The best way is to turn right on Main Street.
These are some phrases to indicate that you are not from here
- I’m sorry, I’m not from here.
- I’m afraid I can’t help you.
- Sorry I don’t know my way around here.
Examples of Giving Directions in English
These are example of giving directions in English, these sentences are a bit longer than the previous one.
A. Go straight on. Then take the first left on to Green Street. Walk past the library and it’s the building next to the library on the left.
B. Go straight on. Go past the traffic lights. You will see a shop on the right. Go past that and it’s on the right next to the shop.
C. Go straight on. Go past the traffic lights and go straight on until you get to the roundabout. At the roundabout turn left. Go past the theatre. It’s the building next to the theatre, opposite the hospital.
How to Give Directions Inside Buildings
Watch this video about giving directions in English
Giving Directions Inside Buildings
This is some key vocabulary to give directions inside buildings
- Go forward
- turn left/ right at the corner
- walk along
- walk straight ahead
- take the elevator
- go in
- go out
- go through
- it’s right here
- it’s on your right /left
- it’s the second door on your right
Places Inside the Building
These are some of the most common places that you can find inside a building and that can be useful when you have to give a direction inside one.
|Copy Center||Lunch room|
Asking for Directions inside Buildings
These are some ways to ask for directions inside buildings
- Where is the computer room?
- Where is the public telephone?
- Excuse, where are the restrooms?
- Can you tell me where the public telephone is?
- How do you get to the ATM?
- Do you know where English class is?
- Please tell me the directions to the elevator
- What are the directions to the Administration Office
- What is the way to the gym?
- I’m looking for the library
- How do I go to the Cafeteria?
- How can I get to the clothing store?
These are some example of responses when asked about directions inside a hotel
- The restaurant is at the end of the hallway to the right.
- The elevators are straight ahead on the left
- The stairway is around the corner over there.
- -Go along the corridor / hall.
- Turn right at the end of the hall.
- Take the stairs down to the basement
- Go through the door.-
- It’s just through / past / after the door.
- Take the elevator up to the top floor.
- Go up to the fifth fl oor.
- Go straight ahead.
Dialogue: Give Locations Inside a Hotel
This is an example of a dialogue that takes place inside a hotel.
- Receptionist: Good Morning, How can I help you?
- Guest: Can you tell me where the bar is?
- Receptionist: It is near the dance room
- Guest: Could you tell me how to get to the bar?
- Receptionist: The bar is on the second floor. Please go straight along the hallway. Take the escalator up one floor. The bar is on your left.
- Guest: Thanks a lot
- Receptionist: You are welcome
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go: