Why Learning Phonetic Symbols?
I have always said that learning the phonetic symbols is so important because if you mispronounce Dictionary, people still might understand what you are trying to say but if you mispronounce the onlyy vowel sound in words such as road, map, tear. You are running the risk of being misunderstood or not understood.
An exercise to help students to see the difference between different vowel sounds and diphthong is the classification of one-syllable words.
Remember that pronunciation is something mental and physical. you try to figure out what vowel and diphthong to use and then you try to imitate what you hear.
To help you with that process, have a look at these videos to help you with Vowels and Diphthong Sounds Videos
Vowel and Diphthong Sounds
When clicking in one of the link, a new video will open and you will see videos, sometimes two and sometimes three, the videos will help you master the physical aspect of pronunciation.
- How to Pronounce The /eə/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /ɒ/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /ə/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /e/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /ɑ:/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /ɜ:/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /ʊ/ and THE /U:/ Sound
- How to Pronounce The /ɔ:/ Sound Corrrectly
- How to Pronounce The /ʌ/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /æ/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /ɪ/ sound Correctly
- How To Pronounce The /ɔɪ/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /aɪ/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /ɪə/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /aʊ/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /əʊ/ Sound Correctly
- How to Pronounce The /eɪ/ Sound Correctly
Vowel and Diphthong Sounds Classification
Now it is time to practice, check these one-syllable words and classify them using the chart below
if you need any help with some words, you can always check phonetic transcriptions using the Cambridge Online Dictionary
- Information of the use of IPA charts in classes
- A Little bit more of info about the Phonemic Chart by The English British Council
- Download a set of Phonetics symbols in a PDF Format