A teacher is a person who helps others to acquire knowledge, competences or values. If you google for Types of Teachers, you will find all kind of answer, some of the answer might be humorous.
I personally believe that you can not pretend to be somebody that you are not. If you are a responsible kind of person, you will probably go to the classroom and ensure that your students are responsible too.
I also think that there are many types of teacher and that not all of them can be grouped into three categories.
Three Types of Teachers
While there are many different types of teachers and teaching styles and creating categories to group them all is an impossible task. Here are some of the types of teachers that you will find in most ESL classrooms
The explainer is good at:
- explaining grammar or vocabulary
- entertaining the students with presentations
- In other words, the explainer knows the subject matter well.
The involver is good at:
- involving the students in the learning process through tasks
- using a variety of different techniques and activities to help students learn
- In other words, the involver knows the subject matter and methodology well.
The enabler is good at:
- creating the conditions where students do the learning
- planning around the learners so that the teacher becomes less visible – the students and their learning are the main focus.
- In other words, the enabler knows the subject matter, methodology and the learners well.