The Ice Bucket Challenge is an activity involving dumping a bucket of ice water on someone’s head to promote awareness of the disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and encourage donations to research. It went viral on social media during July–August 2014.In the US, many people participate for the ALS Association.
The origins of the idea of dumping cold water on one’s head to raise money for charity are unclear and have been attributed to multiple sources
ALS is characterised by muscle spasticity, rapidly progressive weakness due to muscle wasting. This results in difficulty speaking, swallowing, and breathing.
Within 24 hours of being challenged, participants must record a video of themselves in continuous footage.First, they are to announce their acceptance of the challenge followed by pouring ice into a bucket of water. Then, the bucket is to be lifted and poured over the participant’s head.Then the participant can nominate a minimum of three other people to participate in the challenge.
After the Ice Bucket Challenge went viral on social media, public awareness and charitable donations to ALS charities soared. Within weeks of the challenge going viral, The New York Times reported that the ALS Association had received $41.8 million in donations from July 29 until August 21. More than 739,000 new donors have given money to the association, which is more than double the $19.4 million the association received during the year that ended January 31, 2013. On August 29, the ALS Association announced that their total donations since July 29 had exceeded $100 million
True or False
Mark the statements True (T) or False (F) in the space provided
- The Ice Bucket Challenge is an activity to raise awareness about the ALS disease:____________
- The Ice Bucket Challenge wants to keep participant from donating:_______________
- The origin of the Ice Bucket Challenge is attributed to one source:___________________
- The Ice Bucket Challenge indicate that only two people can be dominated:________________
- The water used in the challenge must be warm:____________________________
- The challenge must be taken 24 hours after being nominated:_________________
- The donations to the ALS charities declined:_________________________