Today you are going tot learn some simple tips to learn more about what syllables are stressed and which ones aren’t.
In English, we do not accentuate every Syllable in a word, we accentuate only one syllable.
The stress can be found in any syllable but it depends on the characteristics of the word.
Some people rely on experience but not all of us can rely on it and that’s why we learn the word stress rules or we succeed with a combination of experience and rules
Table of Contents
- 1 What You Should Know
- 2 Word Stress Rules
- 3 Word Stress Quizzes
- 4 Word Stress Games
- 5 Word Stress Worksheets
- 6 Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
- 7 More Information
What You Should Know
- To understand word stress, it helps to understand what syllables are.
- Every word is made from syllables.
- Each word has one, two, three or more syllables.
- The words are divided according to its pronunciation
One syllable : Dog
Two syllables : or-ange
Three syllables : Ex-pen-sive
Four syllables: In-te-res-ting
Word Stress Rules
Let’s Remember that:
- One word has only one stress syllable.
- We stress vowels and not consonants.
In my own experience as a university student I studied the rules for stressing words and I practiced stressing the most common words then I verified them in my dictionary. You will probably find one of these two ways as indication of word stress in your own dictionary.
Plas-tic : /plæs’tIk/
Plas-tic : /’plæs tIk/
Word Stress Rules with Different Syllables
The Stress is in the syllable before the ial, ual, ian, ient, cious, tious, ic, ible, ity, tion , logy , graphy , meter or sion sound
Word Stress Before the -er Sound
The Stress is in the syllable before the er sound
Word Stress and Syllables ending in cy, -phy and -gy
The Stress is two syllables before the -cy, -phy and -gy sound.
Word Stress and Compound Nouns
The Stress is on the first part of compound nouns
Word Stress and Compound Verbs
Compound verbs are stressed in the second part
Word Stress Quizzes
Click on the following external links to know more about
Word Stress Games
These are two websites with some to make learning word stress easiers
Word Stress Worksheets
These are some worksheets that will help you test what you already know about word stress
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these resources before you go
- English Lessons on EnglishPost.Org
- English Grammar Lessons on Englishpost.org
- ESL Conversation Questions
- Pronunciation: List of Minimal Pairs
- List of Homophones [Infographic]
- 3 ways to Pronounce the Final S
- 30 Great English Tongue Twisters
- 8 Best English Pronunciation Apps
- 6 Best Pronunciation Websites
- Full Guide to English Pronunciation